Notices

So your sitting at MMNA headquaters in the boardroom...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation So your sitting at MMNA headquaters in the boardroom...

... and the discussion is the 2007 Lancer Ralliart. You and a team of others are gathering some information to send to MMC in japan for a redesign, overhaul of the new ralliart. The R&D managers ask for your opinion so you step up and give off some points. Remember, some of the does and dont's are:

1. It's not an evo
- be realistic, there is a evo already so mitsu doens't need another one

2. FWD or AWD
- Is it cost worthy or should it stay a evo only option

3. Turbo or N/A
- would you turbo the car or give it some great N/A power, remember see #1.

4. The WRX needs similar competition
- Mitsu want's a piece of this market, so is it worth it?

5. Same MIVEC or New MIVEC?
- should the new ralilart incorporate the old MIVEC system (mirage and FTO) or the current MIVEC system (ralliart and eclipse) or no MIVEC at all?

6. Styling Cues
- While still appealing to mass consumers, how agreesive should it look? Will you give it 17's? Will it come spoilerless, small spoiler or huge spoiler?

7. Interior and Options
- How would you do the interior up? Also what extra options can be added? Would you do navi system? Ralliart springs and shocks? How about a more aggressive lipkit or bucket seats? Is leather an option or is 6disc cd changer standard?

8. Price
- How much should it go for in the end? Mitsu is give you between 19-22k.

I would really like to hear what you members think, you can even add more points if you like...

Just to remind you of the JDM turbo awd ralliart,

Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

prove to me that the jdm ralliart is turbo. i wana see what the engine looks like. if so they should be sending those engines here after the 20Kmiles are up on the engine and should swap out prety easily.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is a 1.8L GDI DOHC turbo, but it is 2WD only.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:42 PM

1. i would keep the same styling except add the evo wing as an option w/ at least 17" rims. i'd also keep the same motor with a turbo added to boost power to a moderate 240crank hp w/ awd to compete w/ the wrx. definitely keep the same mivec that it already has. maybe add a scoop or vents or something to the hood to give it that rally look. keep the same interior and options but change the seats out for ralliart embroidered seats. sell it for the same price as the srt-4 was selling for!
Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

id would put the navi system onto the evo... eh..evo 10 probaly going to have it
Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
prove to me that the jdm ralliart is turbo. i wana see what the engine looks like. if so they should be sending those engines here after the 20Kmiles are up on the engine and should swap out prety easily.

as it was stated before the 1.8 gdi turbo...
same engine used in the dominican republic for the lancer.... so is not that jdm after all..
Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Make a factory option turbo/SC like scion has for the tC. Make LSD standard equipment. With styling keep it simple. There are enough cars outh there that look like someone went crazy at Pep Boys.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lrh35
Make a factory option turbo/SC like scion has for the tC. Make LSD standard equipment.
Exactly that. FWD, optional turbo, with LSD standard. Maybe a wheel/brake upgrade package on the turboed cars...

I'm pretty happy with the current interior except that crappy fake CF piece, just make it the same silver as the center console.

One other thing... make the "upgraded" stereo play MP3 discs. The Sun&Sound head unit is the same POS as in the base model ES.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

-

For a preview that might as well be the result of the said board room meeting, here's what's been told in a national meeting of canadian dealers a couple of weeks ago:

The new lancer model (2008 model year, available in the fall of 2007) will get the new 2.4l engine as a base engine (would put out in excess of 150HP). The RalliArt should remain, but be placed closer to the middle ground, between the base model and the EVO X. The engine will be a mildly-turbocharged [my personnal guess is on 7psi] version of the new 2.4l engine and should put out in excess of 200HP. The styling differences between the base Lancer and the RA should be maintained, as well as the difference in driving dynamics... again, to place the RA smack down in the middle between the two extremes in the Lancer lineup.

It was also said that the EVO X will be Canada's first EVO model... and the most interesting info I've heard is to the fact that the 2.0l would finally be replaced by a 2.4l engine for a turbocharged output well in excess of 400HP.

There was no mention of the RA being AWD and pricing should be upped by something like 4000$CAN (figure 3000$US). That would not place the RA in a price range where it could be equipped with AWD ... but it would make for one great FWD rocket though! Same weight + way more power = one sweet ride!

[I would personnaly bet on traction control being standard though]

Now, a little disclaimer: This info was summed up by me from two sources for which I cannot vouch. I would not send any of these guys 5K$ for safekeeping... but I would say they are generally well informed. You guys take this info and decide what the part of it is that you want to believe. As of now, this is the best info I could gather from the best sources I have acces to. If anyone on this board has better sources, please bring up any corrections necessary.

-
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:34 PM

to tell you the truth, all of it sounds great!!!! as long as it increases the output to over 200 please. lol.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

-

To be honest, I'd be really disapointed if all this was just wishful thinking... not just disapointed in the guys who supposedly shared actual facts, but also disapointed the RA wouldn't be at least as fun to drive as it has been depicted to me!

If the RA comes with a factory turbo and some other interesting goodies for around 26K$CAN (22K$US???), I will be all over this car as soon as it's available! If the warranty is still as good as it currently is, I can't see why this wouldn't become a best seller in it's category. The SRT-4 and Cobalt SS would quickly be ridiculed by the better handling, more powerful RA...

I really hope my personnal wish of a traction-control systems are made a reality though... 'cause having over 200HP to the front wheels is somewhat of a handsfull on the snow and ice! Even a patch of sand on the pavement could quickly become problematic...

-
Old Dec 13, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2.4L version of the world engine is supposed to be an upgrade still. Mitsu can't afford to utilize the 2.0L this first go around, so I don't know if they will even have a Ralliart anymore. IT wouldn't make sense for the cheapest models to have a more powerful engine, and then the upgraded one not have anymore power. Then Ralliart would be reduced to just being an appearance package like the OZ is, so one of them would have to go.

I think it should be FWD still. LSD, 200-220hp would be good. But, I doubt it will happen. I thought world engine variants went in 1.8, 2.0 and then 2.4 for the I4s, with the 2.0 and 2.4 each more powerful in N/A form then the current motors we have now.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

I'd rather have AWD than turbo on the ralliart anyday. A turbo can be added for a pratical amount while AWD can't. Stick with it being N/A, I'd be happy with it although it would be somewhat sluggish.

The interior should have some kind of option, although they dropped the yellow color, a yellow car with red interior is not that good looking. I would have gotten leather instead if it was available.

LSD should definately be an option if not standard, although our dealer is now selling aftermarket parts with installation while keeping your warranty.

Factory cd player has mp3 support in the 2006 model.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

just make it faster!! more power more power !

things to tweek: interior -more spacing for legs and more headroom- / different color options for the seats / different style stock rims / make the front end a little shorter... it looks to long / more lighting in the rear of the car / better tires / different style headlights

my .02
Old Dec 13, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
The 2.4L version of the world engine is supposed to be an upgrade still. Mitsu can't afford to utilize the 2.0L this first go around, so I don't know if they will even have a Ralliart anymore. IT wouldn't make sense for the cheapest models to have a more powerful engine, and then the upgraded one not have anymore power. Then Ralliart would be reduced to just being an appearance package like the OZ is, so one of them would have to go.
Well, it's not like the RA is an OZ with a bigger engine... but anyway, I don't think the rumored turbo setup on the RA would be such a bad way for them to retain the three trims, ES, OZ and RA. The OZ would still offer a more youthful appearance than the ES... and the RA would still offer a nice compromise between the OZ's lack of go and the EVO's much higher price tag.

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I think it should be FWD still. LSD, 200-220hp would be good. But, I doubt it will happen. I thought world engine variants went in 1.8, 2.0 and then 2.4 for the I4s, with the 2.0 and 2.4 each more powerful in N/A form then the current motors we have now.
As per the press releases I read so far, I've yet to hear about any kind of official announcement of any size of engine other than the 2.4l and that tiny 3 cylinder engine they will be producing for the Smart (and who knows what other diminutive asian car as well?). If you have complementary information sources you could point me towards, I'd be grateful for the tip... I can't wait to see how the next engine lineup is taking shape.

If Mitsubishi is good at one thing, it's designing engines! I believe we could see more of those OEM contracts signed between MM and other manufacturers in the coming years... They might even have to rename the company to MEKW (Mitsubushi Engine King of the World).

-

Quick Reply: So your sitting at MMNA headquaters in the boardroom...