Notices

Noisey & clunking front end on my VRX Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noisey & clunking front end on my VRX Ralliart

Hi Guys from down under in Oz!

I don't know if this has been covered before but here goes anyway?

At about 3500klms from new i had this noise in my front suspension of my 12/04 vrx sportback, sounded like the front struts bottoming out, or faulty springs/saddle bushes etc. Seemed to come only when i turned the steering to go in or out of a driveway, or if i hit a bump on the road.

The foreman went for a good drive and of course it didn't do it (surprise, surprise) until we were almost back to the dealers when it started again. He put it on the hoist and checked and tightened everything, even chassis rails, but could not find anything wrong.

It went away about 300 klms later and returned about 3 times over the next 15,000 klms, but had always stopped just before i could get back to the dealer.

It nearly drove me mad until about 1 week ago when it came back really loud. i then took it back to the dealer xmas eve about 3pm and asked for the foreman, but he was on holidays.

I did score a young mechanic who went for a drive and returned and told me he knew what the problem was and would have a look at it now!

I was in the waiting room thinking the worst when he came back about 10 mins later and said he fixed the problem!!! and it was now as quite as a mouse.

I was speechless when he handed me 2 (two) small granite rocks about half the size of a small fingernail, I said you have got to be ##**en kidding me

He said that they have had about 6 vrx's and es's come in over the last two (2) weeks alone come in with the same problem. It appears that the design of the front springs (lowered) and tower design cause small rocks to become lodged between them and they cause all the funny grinding and bottoming out noises you hear as the suspension moves up and down. Vrx's and Ralliarts are the most affected (lowered) but also standard ES as well.

He said that the noises that i heard from 3500klms and at different other times was this, when the noises stopped (as they did after a few hundred klms) it simply meant that the rocks were crushed or dislodged and simply fell out

Simple fix is put her up in the air, let wheels hang down, shake springs at the same time as you blow compressed air up and around the springs, and dislodge the rocks and or small gravel.

I now try to avoid freshly laid gravel roads and the noise has not yet returned

Hope this info is helpfull ??
Old Jan 1, 2006, 08:48 AM

I just took my into my dealers shop for the same reason. Random - very loud clunking noises. i was expecting a bent strut or something terrible too. I was also relieved when he called saying it was just some rocks in the springs. I wonder if theres anyway to create a cover to protect the springs from rocks finding their way in.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, it's a common problem with our cars. It's happened to several people on here, including me.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

I've had mine fixed twice before. The last time I brought it in, they said they drilled holes in the strut mounts to let gravel and rocks out, but it came back around 80,000kms and now I am off warranty. It's fine cause Im gonna get some drop springs from tein in the spring anyways. Crappy factory suspension design!!
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lucky you guys.. my clunking wasn't rocks it was the lack of functioning tie rods... They were so loose they bounced around on turns and ish.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm I guess that was the problem I had quite a while ago. I never really thought about that possibility and it went away after two weeks or so with me. But I have gone through a good amount of gravel since then and the problem's never returned. I bet if somebody made an unnoticeable aftermarket part that prevented debris and rocks from entering the front suspension system, a good amount of people would be interested. I would be.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vrxsportback

Simple fix is put her up in the air, let wheels hang down, shake springs at the same time as you blow compressed air up and around the springs, and dislodge the rocks and or small gravel.
easier fix is when washing your car just spray (if using a pressure washer) the springs and that seems to work good for me.