Notices

? about mivec

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Doing 1/4 mile runs while tuning, I got 7mpg.
When I first put the ud pulley in I got around 15 mpg

the light comes on with around 2 or so gallons left
Old Jan 4, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atmsanchez
i believe u guys i just cant drive that slow, first of all the speed limit here on the highway is 70 but thanks for the info, just wondering

I understand you can't drive that slow, but think of the money you will save by getting an extra 5 miles per gallon. That is a huge difference. All you have to do is take your foot off the gas and leave a few minutes earlier.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tuffguy
That's still pretty low. I can get ~30mpg when I do ~74mph and stay out of MIVEC, and ~25mpg around town. I even managed 33mpg once.

on 87 octane

I think it varies with people's cars. There are a few people that have claimed the same number as you but I've never come close to that. Best I've gotten is about 27-28mpg, and that was a complete tank of gas on the highway (driving to Philly). If I'm cautious with my driving back and forth to work for a tank I'll usually get around 25-26. When I push it a lot I'll usually drop down to 22-23.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atmsanchez
dam i think i got 250 to the tank once since i have owned the car, i must have a heavy foot, lol, moat ive gotten is i think like 21mpg
Dude, you have a seriously heavy foot. Learn to shift ALOT sooner when you are driving around town.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NorCal Lancer
hey, quick question here, how much gas is left in the tank when the light comes up? I've been always driving with near empty tanks, so I try to make best judgemenst when it comes to shifting at higher rpms, lol. and also, cruise control. Does it help in highway driving as far as mpg? or it depends???

You might want to be careful with that low tank driving. You don't want to do it too often. The crap that doesn't get completely filtered out of your gas settles in your gas tank. When you run it to empty you flush all that debris into your engine. I believe it's 3 gallons left when the light come's on. I wouldn't run the car more than another gallon after that. Just a suggestion.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 09:53 PM

only once have i beat 24 mpg. that was following a friend to his family's house over 200 miles. that was 28mpg and I was bored out of my mind- i could have made sandwiches for the pasengers in my car with all the time i had! do not have the self control you all have with higher mpgs! however, i live in area with hilly and twisty no cop roads. first time in my life i've had a car almost 2 years and i don't want to trade, just modify(only have to quit cigarettes for 6 months and wife says she wont b**** about spending for SC).
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel light - haven't actually ran out, usually at least 10 km's left at that point babying it.
But as previously mentioned, its not a good idea for it to be something that happens regularly.
Avoid getting the gunk from the tank bottom in there. Just like if you see the fuel truck has just filled up the tanks at the service station - don't go there for at least a day! It means all the years of crud at the bottom of their storage tank is stirred up... nasty!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryan_VRX06
Just like if you see the fuel truck has just filled up the tanks at the service station - don't go there for at least a day! It means all the years of crud at the bottom of their storage tank is stirred up... nasty!

Excellent advice.

I learned that in a fuel handlers course I took in the Army. You will NEVER find me filling up at a station while a tanker is there filling up the tanks.