Notices

A Pillar Rattle tip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006 | 04:54 AM

A Pillar Rattle tip

Mods, feel free to move or delete this if it's been discussed, or more importantly, remedied.

I recently subscribed to alldata. I found the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) regarding the recommendation to use 5W-20 oil there. Anyway, I also found a TSB regarding dash rattling. Turns out that a rattle exists in both front A Pillars, and probably is the reason most of us hear rattles up front. The problem is on the outside of the car.

No.: TSB-05-42A-005

DATE: March, 2005

MODEL: See Below

SUBJECT:
WINDSHIELD CREAKING NOISE WHILE DRIVING

PURPOSE

A creaking or rattling noise may be heard while driving, coming from the "A" pillar area, due to the windshield moulding clips vibrating against the glass. Eliminate the noise by installing a small piece of felt material on the side windshield moulding inner clips, as described in this bulletin.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

2002-05 Lancer
2003-05 Lancer Evolution

PROCEDURE

1.Test drive the vehicle to verify the noise is coming from the "A" pillar area.

2.Use a soft trim stick to remove the side windshield moulding from the cowl trim as shown.

Do not remove the cowl trim for this procedure.

3.Obtain adhesive-backed thin felt material from the BSR kit listed in the PARTS INFORMATION section of this bulletin.

Cut six felt pieces, approximately 70 mm X 5 mm.

4.Remove the liner from the back of the felt pieces. Affix the felt on the inner clips as shown.

Affix one felt piece to each of the three inner clips.

Repeat on the other side.

5.Be sure that the outer moulding clips (four on each side) are securely attached to the body retention stud as shown. If the clips are not properly attached, noise may result.

6.Reinstall the windshield side moulding.

7.Test drive to verify the noise is eliminated.

The part number for the felt kit is MB991752 (BSR Kit- Contains felt, tape, and urethane padding pieces)

I hope this helps the group if it hasn't been addressed yet. Joe.
Old Feb 18, 2006 | 06:09 AM

just purchase some felt at the store the bsr kit (buzz, squeak & rattle kit) is just small stuff you can purchase individually (and cheaper) at the store
Old Feb 18, 2006 | 06:26 AM

If the car is still under B to B warranty, it should be a free fix, no?
Old Feb 18, 2006 | 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

or if you worked for mitsu like i did, its ALWAYS under warranty. even with all my mods (just have to take out the bottle)
Old Mar 15, 2006 | 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

THIS IS IT!!! Thank you for posting this and windshield creaking is the exact sound. I printed this to take to the dealer. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this because it was driving me nuts..

My SRT-4 made less noise then this on the interior!

Craig
Old Mar 15, 2006 | 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

started to wonder what that annoying sound was...thanks
Old Mar 15, 2006 | 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

I already bought a chunk of adhesive-backed felt to silence the window/lock switch trim pieces in both doors. I was looking for other rattles I could silence with it. My rear window trim is rattling, too. Guess I'll do front and rear when it warms up again.
Old Mar 15, 2006 | 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

If someone could do a walkthrough with pictures, that would be appriciated. Some of these instructions are kinda confusing with refrences to non-existant pictures.
Old Mar 16, 2006 | 10:34 AM

bump & ^+1
Old Mar 20, 2006 | 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kericr
If someone could do a walkthrough with pictures, that would be appriciated. Some of these instructions are kinda confusing with refrences to non-existant pictures.
+2

Yeah... I went there!

Mike
Old Mar 20, 2006 | 03:25 AM

I will try to add the pics from the Technical Service Bulletin I downloaded from Alldata. I tried to when I originally posted this, but the whole thing looked messed up, and the pics wouldn't even migrate. Let me work on this for a while, and I'll see what I can do. FYI, the pictures were crappy and small anyway. As long as you guys are still under the 5/60K bumper to bumper warranty, this should be a warranty fix.
Old Mar 20, 2006 | 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

I just got the call to come pick up my car from the dealership. They performed this TSB for me and I will let you all know how it works out. My car only did it when its cold but then again I live in the Northeast so its cold a good portion of the year.
Old Mar 22, 2006 | 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cloud_IX
I just got the call to come pick up my car from the dealership. They performed this TSB for me and I will let you all know how it works out. My car only did it when its cold but then again I live in the Northeast so its cold a good portion of the year.
This did it! Picked up the car from Fred Beans Mitsubishi on Monday and I no longer have the rattle.. Can't thank you enough man.

I drove the car about 10 minutes on my way home the night I purchased it back in December and the rattle was there. It was like someone knocked the wind out of me. "I just spent 33K on this car and it rattles.. oh crap what did I do..??"
Now its as quiet as anything except for that bad a__ Buschur Bullet Exhaust!
I am not embarassed to drive people in it anymore..

This is the fix fellas if you have window creaking noise..
Old Mar 22, 2006 | 04:32 PM

Glad it worked out. And I'm glad it's an easy outside fix. I would be hesitant to fix a deep dash rattle, as it would probably create 10 more by tearing apart the dash.