Notices

04' RA. Best 'mild' performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' RA. Best 'mild' performance upgrades

Through some recent events in my life, I might inherit my wife's RA and let my wife have a new car. I like the RA with the exception that since my wife dosen't know how to drive a stick, it's a slug-o-matic.

So without investing many thousands of dollars, what would be a nice combo of items to get some better performance from the 170 ponies? Chip? Exhaust? Intake? Other?
Old May 2, 2006, 01:35 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by LTParis
Through some recent events in my life, I might inherit my wife's RA and let my wife have a new car. I like the RA with the exception that since my wife dosen't know how to drive a stick, it's a slug-o-matic.

So without investing many thousands of dollars, what would be a nice combo of items to get some better performance from the 170 ponies? Chip? Exhaust? Intake? Other?
roadracemotorsports.com is the best site,if its wet were you live get the short ramintake 150$ the coldair will suck up water and wetlock your engine,underdrive pully 130$ your altinator might wear out in at 60000 but its worth it +they only cost 50$ from carparts .com/get the rear trunk strut bar best handeling upgrade iv done and only 100$+ you can see it so/+exzaust just a regular turbo or ebay muff will work,installs about 50 buck so figure like 100$/if that doesnt do enof for you then get the piggyback "CHIP" but do that last cause its 460 and you will get great results with just those other parts,+they are all on that roadrace web site above o and you might want to thing about directional performance tires it will totaly change the way your car feels on the road.
Old May 2, 2006, 03:56 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ sounds good so far , but you should get the rrm (RoadRaceMotorsports) progress springs to kill that wheel gap in the front,(gives a more agrressive look and you'll need all the intimidation you can get with the auto) and give you better handling $180....
Old May 2, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
^^ sounds good so far , but you should get the rrm (RoadRaceMotorsports) progress springs to kill that wheel gap in the front,(gives a more agrressive look and you'll need all the intimidation you can get with the auto) and give you better handling $180....
+10 kudos!! This should be a requirement for all RAs because that gap is so big might as well roll on 22s Besides, with the gap your jst another regular family sedan.
Old May 3, 2006, 08:07 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LTParis

If you want to keep it super simple, just get the piggyback. A bit spendy compared to something like a SRI, but for overall gains, it's about the least expensive.

If you want to do anything to the suspension, just go with a sway bar and perches. It's inexpensive, and unlike springs, you won't need to worry about whether or not you're shortening the life of your stock struts.
Old May 4, 2006, 01:34 PM

I probably won't do anything with the suspension. It seems pretty competent and is even a bit rough for what my wife likes. And if you all think the RA has gap, the Golf/Rabbit V GTI looks like it's a 4x4 compared to the RA. The gap seems ok.

I am thinking more so power (and breaking).
Old May 4, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

At least get the RRM Swaybar perches (factory ones suck big time: you can bend'em with your bare hand and they could snap if you go hard on them) & the RRM Tie bar (that will take care of most of the understeer issue of the RA). And a set of better tires help a lot also! You will enjoy your ride a lot more with those basic susp/tire mods

For power you can get the U_Pulley, K&N drop filter (or the SRI) and/or the Piggyback. (all of those power mods have their pros/cons). If you need more info just search evom or post your questions before buying anything.
Old May 7, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Performance(typical mods): Piggyback unit, Intake, DP w/ res + high flow cat, headers.. ehhhh theres a thread updating them in the N/A forums.