Notices

how "bad" is it shifting around with your automatic? or is it safe ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how "bad" is it shifting around with your automatic? or is it safe ?

im wondering how damaging it is to play around with the automatic. i really wanted a manuel from the start but they had no more . i drive a 04 ralliart if there is a safer method to shift around PLZZZZ post i would reaallly appreciate it . thx for your time
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

As long as you shift it at the right time and don't leave it in the red to long you should be fine, I drive an auto and have done it before just playing around. The L 2 3 D are there for a reason. To USE them.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

is there really a need to shift? Not being an ***, I actually really wanna know. I know when flooring an automatic, it usually goes all the way up to redline before shifting to the next gear, so why do it yourself?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The only time I manually shift an automatic is either if it's a rental, or if it's my old POS truck. In the case of my truck, the OD doesn't work very well, and it will pull itself out of OD on a slight hill, and then never go back into it. If I manually shift it into D as I start up the hill, I can put it back into OD when I get to the top, and it goes right back in.

In the case of a rental, I'm probably flogging it.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I'd say save the "manual" shifting for when you really need it or really have a race. I'm not sure how much time it will shave off but I don't think its great to shift it hard manually all the time although I can't see what direct damage it would cause.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

I honestly don't think it will save any time at all. Instead of letting the gears engage themselves, you're taking MORE time to move it between one gear to the next and THEN you have to wait for it to engage. Not like it's a HUUUUGE difference in time, but I think you'd be slower in the 1320 if you did it manually.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...0&page=1&pp=15
A blast from the past.

If you don't want your auto tranny to last beyond 5 yrs, go ahead and shift away . . . wait for impending clunking, thumping, or slipping into the next gear. Replacing a tranny will cost a lot more than manual owners torching their clutch in a lifetime of owning the car.

If you want proof of auto damage tranny, look at GM trucks and SUV lots littered with sloppy 3rd and overdrive . . . people column shift their vehicles.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bahamut
A blast from the past.

If you don't want your auto tranny to last beyond 5 yrs, go ahead and shift away . . . wait for impending clunking, thumping, or slipping into the next gear. Replacing a tranny will cost a lot more than manual owners torching their clutch in a lifetime of owning the car.

If you want proof of auto damage tranny, look at GM trucks and SUV lots littered with sloppy 3rd and overdrive . . . people column shift their vehicles.
That's horse ****, A friend of mine has a '78 Ford LTd, with a column shift. He shifts it manually all the time, and after throwing in an rv cam, holley carb, exhaust and a few other goodies uses it to surprise a few people...he also lets it shift manually and shifts fine. I think he's owned the car for around 10years(it used to be his daily driver).

Like anything though, if you bag the **** out of it it won't last too long, whether it's a manual 5 speed, an auto you shift manually, or an auto that you let shift auto.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sndm
im wondering how damaging it is to play around with the automatic. i really wanted a manuel from the start but they had no more . i drive a 04 ralliart if there is a safer method to shift around PLZZZZ post i would reaallly appreciate it . thx for your time

I see slippage in your future young one.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bahamut
A blast from the past.

Oui....that is interesting reading. My lancer comes with steptronic....I dont really do much shifting while driving on the road... till I am with a bunch of friends at the track. I have added in a good ATF Cooler, heat temp gauge, and changing ATF every 20K kilometer.....is this also going to kill off my tranny (no one can predict this but on hindside, I like to hear your opinion)?

I have check with Mitsubishi and there is a servicing kit for my tranny which basically replaces some stuff which I think my be the wet clutch plates....blah blah.....its recommended to be done every 100K kilometer.....500USD (estimated currency conversion)worth the spend?

One last thing, have you heard of Level 10 in the US? A friend of my has been talking to them and she is going to send up a Torque Converter and Valve Body to be strengthen. Its about 2K USD excluding shipping two way and its said to be good for 375HP application. Is strengthen the TC enough?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:59 AM
Account Disabled

i only do it to stay at a gear where my power is when i notice someone coming up. otherwise the power takes a sec and the car has t downshift.

other than that i leave it alone
Old Jun 23, 2006, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pikachu
Oui....that is interesting reading. My lancer comes with steptronic....I dont really do much shifting while driving on the road... till I am with a bunch of friends at the track. I have added in a good ATF Cooler, heat temp gauge, and changing ATF every 20K kilometer.....is this also going to kill off my tranny (no one can predict this but on hindside, I like to hear your opinion)?

I have check with Mitsubishi and there is a servicing kit for my tranny which basically replaces some stuff which I think my be the wet clutch plates....blah blah.....its recommended to be done every 100K kilometer.....500USD (estimated currency conversion)worth the spend?

One last thing, have you heard of Level 10 in the US? A friend of my has been talking to them and she is going to send up a Torque Converter and Valve Body to be strengthen. Its about 2K USD excluding shipping two way and its said to be good for 375HP application. Is strengthen the TC enough?
You should PM boeturbolancer and see if he can help you at all. He mentioned some things about an auto torque converter upgrade and he is pretty knowledgable about all things car related.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Khobin~
That's horse ****, A friend of mine has a '78 Ford LTd, with a column shift. He shifts it manually all the time, and after throwing in an rv cam, holley carb, exhaust and a few other goodies uses it to surprise a few people...he also lets it shift manually and shifts fine. I think he's owned the car for around 10years(it used to be his daily driver).
Okay, you obviously haven't visited any GM used car lots. Go see S10 extreme dogged the hell out of its 4 banger tranny. How do I know this? I hang out with enough GM minitruckers. This is the norm, and the LTD (maybe he has a shift kit, which is much different than stock) is not the norm. Please don't tell me that there are tons more Ford minitrucks out in the US . . . GM is the most abundant by far.

Why not? Go get yourself an escalade and start shifting it like it's manual.

For those tiptronic thing, they can be shifted. Then again, past DSM'ers who have driven the 3g eclipse tiptronic . . . they don't like it at all.

As for Level Ten, they can increase the stall speed of your TQ converter. Basically, you can power brake higher rpm w/o cooking the tranny oil or torching the TQ converter.

Edit:
If the LTD does indeed have a shift kit like foxbody 'stangs or past Iroc-Z/Z28, you are misleading people on this board. With all those mods, it's highly suspect to have one.

Hell, DSM has one too.
http://www.mirage-performance.com/Ec...slabtl175.html

http://www.ecanfix.com/users/atdsm/chmdrm/

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/

Last edited by bahamut; Jun 23, 2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

I know the Outlander allows you to manually shift the auto tranny (without doing damage). I know we share the same engine with the Outlander, but I'm not sure about the transmission.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
You should PM boeturbolancer and see if he can help you at all. He mentioned some things about an auto torque converter upgrade and he is pretty knowledgable about all things car related.
Okay...thanks I'll PM him....