Notices

How MIVEC works

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:43 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by captain150
The systems are not related in design? I know the details of it would be different, but Mitsu designed a different one for the Evo?
The Evo's MIVEC can only vary the timing. The Ralliart's MIVEC varies timing and intake valve lift. I hear a lot of Evo guys whine that the Evo's MIVEC is pretty pathetic since all it does is mess with timing, though I think it's mostly the VIII guys saying that . Both are sub-par to V-TEC, which can vary both intake and exhaust lift and timing.

Last edited by otter; Aug 10, 2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
The Evo's MIVEC can only vary the timing. The Ralliart's MIVEC varies timing and intake valve lift. I hear a lot of Evo guys whine that the Evo's MIVEC is pretty pathetic since all it does is mess with timing, though I think it's mostly the VIII guys saying that . Both are sub-par to V-TEC, which can vary both intake and exhaust lift and timing.
Please be specific, DOHC VTEC can vary both intake and exhaust (also the newer i-VTEC, which are DOHC).
That said, MIVEC is not really sub-par (if wanted, or had the money, they could easily have put DOHC MIVEC on the RalliArt).
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bahamut
I still believe MIVEC works too low on the rpm band. Its naturally big displacement should be good enough to power off the line. They should have boosted it around 4800 or 5200 rpm.
Did you just call MIVEC boost? Please tell me you really didn't mean this.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:37 AM

I think he means move the engage point higher up in the rpm range
Old Aug 10, 2006, 03:29 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by evomk8
Please be specific, DOHC VTEC can vary both intake and exhaust (also the newer i-VTEC, which are DOHC).
That said, MIVEC is not really sub-par (if wanted, or had the money, they could easily have put DOHC MIVEC on the RalliArt).
You're right, I should've specified that I was more comparing the DOHC and SOHC MIVEC to the DOHC VTEC. SOHC VTEC is very similar to the Ralliart's setup.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
You're right, I should've specified that I was more comparing the DOHC and SOHC MIVEC to the DOHC VTEC. SOHC VTEC is very similar to the Ralliart's setup.

With all the different acronyms being used by the different car makers, not to mention each car maker’s variation of their proprietary technology, things can get confusing.

Fortunately, the new GEMA engine line, known as the 4Bxx series, will bring into the dual VVT age in a timely manner with the 2008 Lancer next year.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
You guys are all wrong, a MIVEC's power comes from the Force.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And here I thought I just put my foot down, go-go juice went zinging into the engine and witchcraft took place!
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boondoc
He's right, why would u want it kick in so late. Mitsu would have such a lead a Honda wouldn't have time to catch up b4 the race is done. I **** on VTEC.
Yeah, the RA has to much torque taht if you put it to the ground combined with adequate grip, can give 200 hp Rsxs, Civics, and Tegs a nasty fit (pun unintended)

If you know your japanese engines, you would know That Mivec its second only to Vtec, which came about a couple of years after in japan. If I can barely remember Mivec came out in 95-96 models in Japan. Honda I think it was in 92 or something like that, I dont remember exactly anymore. This was the 4G92 Mivec 1.6 liter

Mivec, in the other hand made around 12 hp more, but it really didnt make it any faster than the Sir EG9 Civic. It could smoke everything else consistently but the Vtecs. It was a drivers race and due to the fact that Mitsu engines are pretty temperamental, sometimesthey kick ***, sometimes belong in a Prius meet

Last edited by KreepaEvoX; Aug 14, 2006 at 02:51 PM. Reason: missing info
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KreepaEvoX
If you know your japanese engines, you would know That Mivec its second only to Vtec, which came about a couple of years after in japan. If I can barely remember Mivec came out in 95-96 models in Japan. Honda I think it was in 92 or something like that, I dont remember exactly anymore. This was the 4G92 Mivec 1.6 liter
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The VTEC system was originally introduced as a DOHC system in the 1989 Honda Integra sold in Japan, which used a 160 hp (119 kW) variant of the B16A engine. The US market saw the first VTEC system with the introduction of the 1990 Acura NSX, which used a DOHC VTEC V6. DOHC VTEC motors soon appeared in other vehicles, such as the 1992 Acura Integra GS-R.

I thought it was the Civic Sir Hatch that was the first....