Notices

Speed source brass bushings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed source brass bushings

I just purchased the speed source brass bushings for both the shifter base and under the hood. I will review once I receive them and maybe do a quick write up on the installation if there isn't one already.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Grease the hell out of them, particularly the ones that go under your hood. Grease the pins they go on and the cable ends they go into, too. Otherwise, in a couple years, you'll be pressing your speed source bushings off the pins and out of the cable ends, because they will bind up and make your car almost impossible to shift.

The only other installation tip I can remember, I pulled the little clip out that holds the shift cables into the bracket on the transmission. That made it MUCH easier to get the bushings to line up with the pins once they were installed in the cable ends. Then the cables just pop back into the bracket, and push the clip back in.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

i wonder how antiseze compound would do on them....
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info and the tip. I remembered reading the threads explaining the problems with the brass bushings so I searched the evo threads earlier for more information. It seems most have not had trouble, and the biggest issues arose from the initial fitment, whether they were super tight to begin with and possibly if the installer had cleaned the bushing seats before installation. Also, the posters were recommending anti seize instead of grease. Does this stuff take longer to break down than grease??
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

apparently it does well, since it was recommended over grease in some of the evo threads.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Grease or oil will break down with heat, dust and dirt will stick to it...... Anti sieze all the way... I have used anti-sieze on my U-bolts that hold my axles to the leaf springs on my rockcrawler and dragged it through the nastiest of rocks, muds and dust and everything comes apart like butter even after 2-3 years of pure abuse... Don't get it on any clothes you like, it will not come out...
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, use the sandpaper they ship with it. They ship it with that stuff so that you can sand down these bushings to fit properly without having to force them into the linkage cables. This, in combination with anti-sieze should treat you well.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:47 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cool.....i'd like to hear more about these maybe I'll get these after I get my engine dampener on...?....
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

You will like them. I recommend them to every Evo owner I come across (since I rarely see another Ralliart).
You will need to lube them up real good.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:43 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely anti-seize before installing. I just used grease, which doesn't last. Rather than trying to pull them off, I just spray them down with WD-40 every oil change. /lazy
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

i had that problem... ****z wouldn't come out, had to take a hammer and bushing puller to it... Finally got them out and i'm running the kartboy poly bushings underhood now, and in car...
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, some guy had to get a gear puller, another used a dremel tool and cut one out. I guess it will have to be a regular checkup thing like spark plugs and air filter. I try and check on both of those things every few oil changes to make sure they are doing ok. Anti seize it is then, since it seems to be the better option.

eclipse2lancer, how much of a difference, as good as the clutch slave delete was? I am looking forward to getting these, how excited should I be? Like this ----> ?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

I'm using them and I really like the difference. It's pretty noticeable and its much more mechanical feeling for lack of a better way to describe it. It feels much more precise. Again, use that sandpaper! Get the bushing sanded down to where they fit easily in the linkage cable ends, this is probably the number one thing to do in order to avoid them seizing up.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
eclipse2lancer, how much of a difference, as good as the clutch slave delete was? I am looking forward to getting these, how excited should I be? Like this ----> ?
Don't know about the clutch slave delete....as I have not done that.

But I like the brass bushings....I would say your excitement should be somewhere between this:

and this:
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

good, you should try the clutch slave mod delete, huge difference in shift times. Also, have you ever seen this?

Quick Reply: Speed source brass bushings