Notices

Serious Mechanical Failure = No more RA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No work had been done to the car previously.. all it had was an aftermarket stereo and RRM cai. I'm leaving right now to get pictures. The car is being towed over the to Mitsu dealer.

***Waits for Mitsu dealer to say, "ZOMG warranty voided because you were driving a modified vehicle. The Cold Air Intake Filter caused the powerband to increase and therefore making too much power for the car to handle so it exploded in sheer amazement of itself.***
Old Oct 27, 2006, 07:21 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Huh. Glad you're alright, and definitely glad a cop witnessed it. Having a helluva time imagining what would've caused that.

Anyways, later today I'm gonna go inspect my front suspension, just for ****s and giggles.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wiretap, I'm digging your "White & Nerdy" avatar.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I looked over my CAI and everything looks okay. Waiting for WTF!?!?! explanation and pictures...
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

lol thanks..

I'm uploading pictures right now.. and by the looks of them, its almost no doubt its a mechanical failure. The front lower control arm I believe it is just sheered and broke in half right near the ball mount. That caused the whole thing to happen.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Was CF-Ninja driving like hell before hand and crack something?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

no. lol.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Pics:

^-- kinda hard to see, but the back tire is bend inwards. If the car wasn't propped up on the tire, the rear bumper would also be sitting on the ground. I tried to figure out what was wrong with the rear suspension, but I couldn't see anything.. very odd. It all looked fine, but obviously the rear bumper shouldn't sit on the ground.

^-- wall rash from the back tire hitting the slanted highway divider wall.

^-- front end madness?

^-- spaghetti sauce anyone?

^-- looks to be the point of failure.. notice how it is just broken and sheered/peeled back. That obviously should not happen.

^-- oohs nooes?! Where did the top of the strut go?

^-- oh, there it is.

^-- motor mount sheered.

^-- more wall rash.. about 30 to 35mph into a wall maybe at a 45 degree angle or so.

^-- better closeup of the sheer madness.

^-- sad ralliart.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a few more..

^-- overall view.. everything is totally separated.

^-- rear end.

^-- the only thing I see is that it got shifted a little bit. You can see where the some of the bolts were originally sitting by the outline of them where it isn't dirty. There must be some other problem with the rear I couldn't get a picture of higher up.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn I had a little problem with my RA last night but looks like you got it worse. Atleast you're ok, so what's next?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

At least you had no suspension mods, so you have a big case on your hands there. Sorry to tell you, but you'll need a lawyer now. That's just ridiculous !
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Well, its at the Mitsu dealer now and they won't look at it until Tuesday. I guess if they determine it to be a mechanical defect, Mitsu will 100% cover it in some way or another. I got off the phone with my brother and he said when they raised it up onto the tow truck, I guess that back rim was bent all the way inwards and thats why the rear bumper was on the ground as well. But, insurance people will be out at Mitsu on Tuesday. We'll see what happens from there. Remember though, I'm CF-Ninjas brother.. and this is his car, not mine.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:44 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
man that sux....good thing your ok though keep us posted

Last edited by lanzerralliart; Oct 27, 2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

yea at first i looked at the first pic and i was like was the retainer nut on top of the shock loose and fell off, lol but then i saw it completely broke off by and act of god well just say then its kinda painful to look at after that but i think maby the motor mount broke first then all the **** went to hell fromthe engine droping so fast and then the driveshaft tor everything els apart, cause call me wrong but i think that those damn motor mounts are defective casue like a week after i got my car the rear motor moumt broke kinda like ur and i got a new one then it broke again but only the rubber part. but thart motor mount snapping could have been the baseball bat sound u herd then the chainreaction. ether way best of luck with all this. glad to see ur not hurt physicly. heres a beer on me
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Jeeezzzz!!! Thanks God that you are ok! Now I am really scared for the strange metal noise that I hear from time to time on that same side on my Sportback!!!