Notices

Serious Mechanical Failure = No more RA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not doubting you, but If I were an insurance adjuster, I would look at that car before I heard your story and presume that you hit the wall first, pulling the wheel and strut from the car, then the accident with the wall... That control arm shouldn't have torn like that without an impact... The shafts on struts are hardened and will snap easily if pulled away from the car like that, pretty normal stuff... We see similar damage at the dealership often from people taggin guardrails and curbs in the snow/ice up here... The tear on the Lower Control arms shows no sign of previous cracking/stress cracks etc... Usually a stress crack or a previously damaged piece would have rust in the crack itself... Thats a fresh tear...

Good thing a policeman saw it all, should help you against an adjuster...

Last edited by Punkskalar; Oct 27, 2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Whoa! I'm kinda scared to drive home now!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
tahnk god your ok! thats a freak accident!!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Hope when/if mitsu finds out WTF happened they do a little research to say if more of us can have it happen....but i wont hold my breath.

again good to hear you're ok dude.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

i guess now we wait and see if Mitsu truly have the "best backed cars in the world"
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Punkskalar
Im not doubting you, but If I were an insurance adjuster, I would look at that car before I heard your story and presume that you hit the wall first, pulling the wheel and strut from the car, then the accident with the wall... That control arm shouldn't have torn like that without an impact... The shafts on struts are hardened and will snap easily if pulled away from the car like that, pretty normal stuff... We see similar damage at the dealership often from people taggin guardrails and curbs in the snow/ice up here... The tear on the Lower Control arms shows no sign of previous cracking/stress cracks etc... Usually a stress crack or a previously damaged piece would have rust in the crack itself... Thats a fresh tear...

Good thing a policeman saw it all, should help you against an adjuster...
you wouldn't make a very good insurance adjuster.. lol. First you would realize there isn't sufficient damage to the exterior of the car to justify the aftermath, then the second conclusion would be.. if there is only a scrape on the front bumper, what happened? Oh, King Kong must have ripped the whole thing off himself. CV shaft, strut, spring, steering linkage, tire, rim, brake assembly, and all. If anything, compacting into a wall on that side of the car would have pushed it into the car, not rip it away completely off.

The reason the whole thing ripped off was because of the right turn he was making. The lower control arm snapped, then the tire was already at an angle. The weight of the car wedged the tire underneath the car, then the car rolled over it ripping everything else off with it and shot it out the side. Then the car slid straight into the wall because of no steering left. After the front crashed into the wall, the rear end swung around and the back tire hit the wall causing it to collapse under the car because it was compacted. The wall has a slant at the bottom of it and tapers upwards. I'm sure you've seen a highway divider wall before to know. Thats why it didn't do any damage to the back side of the vehicle except bend the rear tire inwards.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, we have insurance adjusters come through here all the time... Ive seen similar things happen to a car with NO front bumper damage at all before... It just takes a little pressure to grab the outside of a wheel and pull the rest of it loose... Again, I wasn't trying to start an issue here... I just don't want people thinking that our RA's are gonna loose a wheel for now reason... And no, I don't work for mitsu... Ever see what happens to an Indy car when they just graze a wall in a race, wheel comes off... They don't have to hit it head on... Axles will pull apart easily, so will the inner tie rod...

Good luck with Mitsu doing anything about it, I'm sure the insurance provider will take over...
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, we have insurance adjusters come through here all the time... Ive seen similar things happen to a car with NO front bumper damage at all before... It just takes a little pressure to grab the outside of a wheel and pull the rest of it loose... Again, I wasn't trying to start an issue here... I just don't want people thinking that our RA's are gonna loose a wheel for now reason... And no, I don't work for mitsu... Ever see what happens to an Indy car when they just graze a wall in a race, wheel comes off... They don't have to hit it head on... Axles will pull apart easily, so will the inner tie rod...

Good luck with Mitsu doing anything about it, I'm sure the insurance provider will take over...
Stop starting issues then and keep on going. You say you aren't starting issues, then you list 3 or 4 more examples. Freak accidents happen, as you can clearly see in this case. Just because my brother's car did it doesn't mean everyone elses will. lol @ the indy car reference.. wow.. rofl. Ralliart accident - 30 to 35mph. Indy wall accident - 100 to 200mph, and their wheels have no protection cause they stick out of the sides of the car. Please just stop talking.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, didn't mean to rock your boat... Im sure my brother has never done any wrong either, hoping to pass the buck onto another source of a problem...

Im out...
Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:10 PM

I will take your headlights!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

no part-out.. its all stock lol. Insurance guys check it out on Tuesday so we'll see what happens.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

WTF!!! I hope mine doesn't do that, i have the identical RA with the pinstrip on the side and all.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

get mitsu to replace it with an EVO and like 1yrs petrol or something to make up for it
well i would anyways ...
Old Oct 27, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, didn't mean to rock your boat... Im sure my brother has never done any wrong either, hoping to pass the buck onto another source of a problem...

Im out...

Thanks for trying to blame my driving, I was following a cop around the on ramp. He knows it wasnt my driving. I could have died very easily there. If i would have hit the car 10 feet father ahead, I would have been on the highway. If you can explain how the loud metallic snap and loss of stearing 2 seconds before I hit the wall had anything to do with my driving, continue your debate
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

father-in-law was a mechanic for Cadilac in the 80's. said he had seen something like this happen before and it was a ball joint locking up..?

Don't know if that applies to our cars or w/e but figured it was worth mentioning.