Notices

Underhood Clutch Squeak

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Underhood Clutch Squeak

Okay....last month I took in my car to the dealer for the 30k maintenance. I asked them to look at the clutch/tranny, it was squeaking from under the hood when I depressed the clutch about halfway.
They do the service, take a look at the tranny and the Service manager (also a triple diamond certified tech) determines it is the clutch cover, as he has seen a couple go bad. Says it is covered under warranty (and was cool enough to suggest a new clutch plate since they will have the tranny out anyway...only $100. So I did that too).
So they do the service, and also replace the TOB, since it had a ring of rust around it. Again covered under warranty.
All is good in the hood again.
Until last week. Said squeak is back. I just called him back, and I will be taking it in soon. He said there is a rod that just might need lubed, but he would take care of me no matter what it is this time.
I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. I just feel lucky that I have a cool service manager to deal with.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:12 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Hrm, mine squeaks, but I've ignored it. I've been waiting for the need for a new clutch before I take care of that and my crappy TOB.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to hear Mitsu are looking after you which is a positive thing!
Old Nov 9, 2006, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sP33Dy
Good to hear Mitsu are looking after you which is a positive thing!
Not so much Mitsu as the Service Manager at the Dealership. What's really cool is he knows I autocross and still covers stuff under warranty.
(Otter knows him.....he did tech at the first Winged Warrior.....he rode the Hayabusa if you remember).

Originally Posted by otter
Hrm, mine squeaks, but I've ignored it. I've been waiting for the need for a new clutch before I take care of that and my crappy TOB.
I noticed after they changed everything that the clutch pedal was really soft too. It had stiffened up a bit, but I am guessing that was due to the crappy corroded TOB.

I'll keep you all posted as soon as I have time to get it in to have them look.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine only squeaks on a 2nd gear start. I have NO idea why, and I've never heard it any other time. When it comes time to change the clutch, I'll see if I can figure out what is making the noise, but it's really not bothering me that much. Not nearly as much as the rear decklid rattle that has developed. I have to get some dynamat, or something.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

My Honda has such a squeak, but it actually comes from the Slave Cylinder. It goes away after a while, and it doesn't hinder performance; so I say the hell with it...
Old Nov 9, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

The squeak is more prevelant when it is cold. Once I drive awhile, it isn't as loud. But I am sure it happens all the time......I can press the clutch in when the engine is off and really hear it. And the "squeak point" is pretty much the clutch plate "engage point".....and I can feel it in the pedal too.
But it can't be the plate itself squeaking (friction against the spinning flywheel) since I can hear it when the engine is off.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE.....finally got time to take it in to the dealer again, and they told me it is the clutch cover......again. The stupid part they just replaced with a new one.
So basically they have to do the same thing again (replace the clutch cover). All covered under warranty, but still a PITA since it takes like 6 hours. If I had more than 36k miles on the car, I would be screwed and have to pay for it (but I would get an aftermarket clutch).
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Clutch cover? Is that another name for pressure plate?

Part #9?

http://myszkewicz.dyndns.org/ftpmark...2104_00019.png

EDIT: Linked pic to prevent side scrolling.

Last edited by Myszkewicz; Nov 29, 2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

^^^yep. Pretty sure that's it. He said it's the "fingers" on that (he called it a clutch cover, I call it a pressure plate normally) are making the squeaking noise.
They also replaced the TOB the first time it was done (#12 I believe), he said there was a ring of rust around that....which puzzled me. How in the world could that have rust on it?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:54 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclipse2Lancer
^^^yep. Pretty sure that's it. He said it's the "fingers" on that (he called it a clutch cover, I call it a pressure plate normally) are making the squeaking noise.
They also replaced the TOB the first time it was done (#12 I believe), he said there was a ring of rust around that....which puzzled me. How in the world could that have rust on it?
There area that contains the clutch/TOB is not sealed. There's sheilds, but water/air/crap can still get in there. Next time you're underneath your car, look up against the oil pan near where the engine meets the bellhousings, you'll see a flimsy metal shield. There's no seals around it.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
There area that contains the clutch/TOB is not sealed. There's sheilds, but water/air/crap can still get in there. Next time you're underneath your car, look up against the oil pan near where the engine meets the bellhousings, you'll see a flimsy metal shield. There's no seals around it.
Doesn't make sense to me that it wouldn't be sealed. Money saver for Mitsu? Could this be a contributing reason that ALL Mitsu's are notorious for TOB and clutch-type problems?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Doesn't make sense to me that it wouldn't be sealed. Money saver for Mitsu? Could this be a contributing reason that ALL Mitsu's are notorious for TOB and clutch-type problems?
I've never seen a clutch that was sealed. Not on Mitsu, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, any domestic I've worked on, etc... Ever. Splash guards are about all any manufacturer puts on there.

I've never had a problem with the clutch itself in any of the six Mitsus I've had, most of the clutch-related problems were with the hydraulic control system or the pedal assembly itself.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

That might cause some problems with clutch dust building up in there.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
I've never seen a clutch that was sealed. Not on Mitsu, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, any domestic I've worked on, etc... Ever. Splash guards are about all any manufacturer puts on there.

I've never had a problem with the clutch itself in any of the six Mitsus I've had, most of the clutch-related problems were with the hydraulic control system or the pedal assembly itself.
Interesting. I've never really paid attention to the tranny/clutch assemblies when working on any cars in the past to notice that.
Also, I've never personally had any real clutch issues with any Mitsu until now, either......and it's really not a problem where I am without the car and it won't drive. Just an annoying "what the hell was that?" noise. Maybe I just need a louder exhaust to mask it and forget it!

Quick Reply: Underhood Clutch Squeak