Notices

Steering Issues? Need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Issues? Need some advice!

Ok. I was not sure if this was just me being **** or if I actually have a problem but I'll just give as much detail as I can and let you guys help me out as much as you can.

I have a 2006 Lancer Ralliart - with 7400 miles on it.

I noticed underhood that there is a slight "scraping" sound and it sounds like a bad pulley bearing and seems to be coming from the power steering pump. The fluid at idle without anybody touching the wheel goes up and down by maybe 1 to 1.5mm almost as though there are bubbles coming up in the middle but the fluid is not low or high. Although this is not the issue that is really bothering me it might be pertinent.

The real issue (not sure if it's actually an issue or not, but I don't remember it doing this when I got it) is that if I go over the slightest little bump with 1 wheel but not both (like going over a speed bump at an angle) The wheel will jerk/turn that direction very forcefully. And I don't mean just a little tug like I am used to but it was enough to jerk the wheel out of my hand.

When I drive through Indianapolis some of the streets are rough and it makes me feel as though I'm going to have a very hard time keeping my car in the lane because the wheel turns back and forth. I know that the car has excellent feedback but feedback to the point of making it hard to keep straight I think is a bit much?

Maybe something is loose or power steering is not working like it should or maybe I've just been a panzy lately. But I just need to know how your guys' ralliarts steer and handle on bumpy/uneven roadways.

Thanks for your time,

Michael
Old Nov 21, 2006, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Best thing would be to get it checked at the dealership. My car had no prior symptoms its death, but you can never be too careful.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

Ok thanks for checking this thread for me man. Still would like some input from other Ralliart drivers though!

Mike
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

My wheel doesn't jerk around like that when I hit bumps so that is definitely not normal. Is the car harder to steer than it use to be? Have you done any suspension mods?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Take a look at the PS lines, sounds like one may be crimped. Warranty = Dealer
Old Nov 21, 2006, 06:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Power steering lines or lack of would mean very hard steering.

This sounds like a front sway bar or some other stability suspension device that is not acting as it should.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 on the sway bar, check for loose bolts or anything with the front suspension.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:54 AM
Former Sponsor

A bad strut could also cause these problems too.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Sometimes when I crank the wheel to the right quickly like when I am turning into my parking spot I hear a slight creaking sound - it sounds like a bad bearing in the seat at the top of the strut but I don't think that would cause it.

The steering feels almost loose, like when I am going down the road on the highway (slanted from the middle) on 4 lanes if I am in the far left lane I have to have the wheel turned about 7 degrees to the right to keep straight and if I put the wheel straight I go left, but if I am in the far right lane I have to have it tilted maybe 5 degrees to the left and the same thing goes.

It feels almost as though the steering is TOO easy to turn - If I am going down a straight level and even road the steering feels responsive, I can tilt the wheel ever so slightly and change the direction of the car but on any other road (particularly the highway where it's slanted from the middle for water runoff) I have to have the wheel tilted.

I was thinking that maybe the rack and pinion is loose or maybe the tortion portion of the rack that determines when and in what direction the power steering assists is defective.

The only problem is that I cannot really go without the car for more than 4 hours, if I had to leave it at Mitsubishi for more than a few hours I'd have to have a rental which my warranty does not cover.

I have the factory drivetrain warranty still as well as the extended 10/100,000 warranty that I purchased with a $250 deductible. Would this be under the drivetrain warranty (no deductible) or my extended warranty? I was pretty sure the extended does not kick in until after the 6year/60,000 drivetrain warranty.

Thanks for your help guys.

Mike
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Could be an alinement since You have a diferent wheel size or tire pressure .But also the thrust bearing on top of the strut.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

The wheels/tires came on the car from the dealership.

I've tried lowering and raising the tire pressures but the steering still feels weird.

I'm running 35psi in the fronts and 32 in the rear right now. But even at 28~30psi and all the way up to 40psi the steering feels the same (although traction is different)

I think something is loose/broken/misadjusted because when I first test drove the car I drove it over rough terrain and if it had felt like this I would have said something.

I don't think it's the alignment because I've had bad alignment before on other vehicles and they always want to go a certain way other than straight, not different ways depending on the slant of the road. That and my tires are wearing evenly and I don't feel any tugging on the wheel on flat level even roadways, the car goes perfectly straight on a level road until I hit a bump - straight enough I can take my hands off the wheel and go until the road curves or I hit a bump.

I think I'm going to stop by the dealership tomorrow and see if they are going to look at it and fix anything that may be wrong or try and give me the shaft.

Mike
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

7400 mile they better cover it. let us know what you find. I'm going with a line problem or the rack.

The part you wrote about hitting a bump "The wheel will jerk/turn that direction very forcefully." says a power steering problem, pump, rack or lines.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking it's maybe the pump not keeping pressure high enough in the lines, enough to help me steer but not enough to keep the wheel from jerking? Does the fluid in the power steering fluid reservoir normally fluctuate at idle? If you could start your car up and watch the fluid level for me and tell me if it fluctuates that would be great.

I'll get my camcorder and take some video of it soon, maybe later tonight or early tomorrow (Unless this is Normal). I might even take my camcorder with me to the dealership - if they decide to give me the stiff I'll pull out the camera and ask again LOL

Mike

Last edited by MikeDVB; Nov 21, 2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

1 to 1.5mm?? I'll get right back to you.

not.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

??? If you don't want to be helpful you don't have to respond. I've not been an *** to you so don't be an *** to me.

Maybe 1 to 1.5 MM is an understatement - it's enough that it looks like there are bubbles coming up in the middle and making the level go up and down like sticking a straw into the middle of a glass of water and blowing bubbles. If your fluid level doesn't fluctuate at all then obviously a fluctuation is not normal - if fluctuation is normal then this is not part of the problem.

Mike

Quick Reply: Steering Issues? Need some advice!