Notices

Squeaky noise from steering wheel area??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squeaky noise from steering wheel area??

I had this same problem with my 2005 RA. And I have it with my 2004 RA. There is a faint squeaky sound coming from the steering column near the speedometer/tachometer bezel or something. I hear it when goving over slight bumps in the road. Nothing to do with suspension or brakes. This sounds strictly like poor fitting plastic pieces somewhere in the dash or steering wheel. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a remedy???
Old Jan 9, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My car does that when it's really cold out. It's just plastic parts rubbing together. Drives me nuts for the 10-15 minutes it takes to warm up the inside of the car enough for it to stop.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
My car does that when it's really cold out. It's just plastic parts rubbing together. Drives me nuts for the 10-15 minutes it takes to warm up the inside of the car enough for it to stop.
That's exactly right. I get it more when it's cold. No problem when it's warm. Have you ever narrowed it down to what exactly it was and whether some WD-40 or something would help??
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have so many cabin squeaks its gotten to the point that its weird when they're not there... Like when i'm sitting at a light its all quiet. Then again i can't hear much when at high rpm's with the RRM CBE...
-Lee
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Sportback, other than some suspension noise (which will be addressed shortly with new struts), is relatively squeak / rattle free. Seems to be bolted together pretty tight. I did have a small rattle type noise recently in the front dash area and I traced it to the plastic cowl right below the windshield. I put a couple of felt pads between the glass and the plastic for now and the noise is gone.

FYI, the Sportback/Lancer is library quiet after spending years behind the wheel of my MKIV Golf (rattle trap!) and Saturn VUE.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GolfTango
My Sportback, other than some suspension noise (which will be addressed shortly with new struts), is relatively squeak / rattle free. Seems to be bolted together pretty tight. I did have a small rattle type noise recently in the front dash area and I traced it to the plastic cowl right below the windshield. I put a couple of felt pads between the glass and the plastic for now and the noise is gone.

FYI, the Sportback/Lancer is library quiet after spending years behind the wheel of my MKIV Golf (rattle trap!) and Saturn VUE.
What's a plastic cowl? Can you elaborate and maybe better yet post a pic? I have a feeling it's the same exact issue... I've tried driving while holding the tach glass, and other plastic parts around the steering column and tachometer and haven't found the source of the sound.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ddcha
What's a plastic cowl? Can you elaborate and maybe better yet post a pic? I have a feeling it's the same exact issue... I've tried driving while holding the tach glass, and other plastic parts around the steering column and tachometer and haven't found the source of the sound.
I am refering to the plastic cowl on the exterior. This is the plastic shrowd right below the windshield where your wipers are. This piece clips right under the edge of the glass / windshield and I think with colder temps contracts and rubs against the glass. Take a couple felt pads no bigger that a 1/2" in dia and stuff them between the glass and plastic, it may be your noise.

edit for pic

Last edited by GolfTango; Jan 10, 2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

wow. never would I have ever guessed that the noise was caused by anything from the outside of the window.... I've got nothing to lose so I'll give it a try tonight... thanks for the pic.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

I took a look last night. Not sure if this is the problem. You're talking about the plastic trim on the outside that goes across the entire windshield right? This is really annoying...
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

I took a look last night. Not sure if this is the problem. You're talking about the plastic trim on the outside that goes across the entire windshield right? This is really annoying...

Exactamundo...

I only needed two felt pads on the driver side until the weather warms up and I can take it off and have a peek at it.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GolfTango
Exactamundo...

I only needed two felt pads on the driver side until the weather warms up and I can take it off and have a peek at it.
The thing is, it wasn't flush against the glass to begin with. I was able to slip a business card in there and slide it all the way across with no resistance. I don't see how that piece would be making any noises...
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

So I tried this, and still have the squeak. cmon folks. no one has a remedy?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The thing is, it wasn't flush against the glass to begin with. I was able to slip a business card in there and slide it all the way across with no resistance. I don't see how that piece would be making any noises...
It has to attach somewhere.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:36 AM

The only squeak that comes from my dash area, is the behind the climate control bezel. The white box "rack" that holds the radio and such was rubbing against the metal frame of the dash, where it bolts into. I put electrical tape all the way around the white rack, and put it back in. Squeak is gone. My car is an 03 ES.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sandman43103
The only squeak that comes from my dash area, is the behind the climate control bezel. The white box "rack" that holds the radio and such was rubbing against the metal frame of the dash, where it bolts into. I put electrical tape all the way around the white rack, and put it back in. Squeak is gone. My car is an 03 ES.
I actually just did a search and found out how to take the bezel off. Just pull off the HVAC controls, take out the screws and pull out right?

Last edited by ddcha; Jan 16, 2007 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Squeaky noise from steering wheel area??