Notices

Should it make that noise...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should it make that noise...

I have an 05 Ralliart and whenever I turn the car off the fan in the front stays on for a few seconds...it sounds like it is reving up and then down.... is this normal?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

ive never heard of that before. i dont know. when i turn my car off i can hear a clicking noise, it is winter so its pretty cold out. does anyone think its because of the temp .... actualy.. could it be my fan spinning?... il have to check tomarow
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a common one - its happened to many here- myself included.
Its a fault in the control unit for the radiator fans that my dealer replaced on warranty without a hassle - but I have heard of others (in the USA not Australia) getting a hard time. I always found it a bit of a worry because if its faulty can you trust it to come on when it is supposed to.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

is it a thermatic fan? I thought that they were supposed to stayed on for a few minutes after your car was turned off... mine has been changed due to the turbo but mine did stay on from what I remember
Old Jan 18, 2007, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

When they malfunction they stay on but blowing much harder than normal and not steady 'revving' almost. For a while mine would come on after I turned off the engine then shut off, come on again... and again for up to 30 seconds. Sounded really wierd.
They replaced the controller and its been fine since
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:37 PM

Yea it would rev faster and then slow down...it just started doing this about a few weeks ago...so i go to the dealership and they can fix it up for free? I still have my warranty on it.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:05 PM

ive never heard that noise on mine, but mines an 04 and im usually not outside the car when i turn it off...
Old Jan 18, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

They should fix it for free as its a defective part that causes the problem - assuming that its the same issue as mine
Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:57 AM

Ok i will go to the dealership soon and see what they can do for me...thanks
Old Jan 19, 2007, 02:37 PM

Hey Guys,
Don't mean to thread hijack, but it is related. My 05RA started doing this only in the last month, but nothing for the previous year I had it. Also, has anyone had their fan constantly turn on and off at idle? I will be sitting at a set of lights, and the fan kicks in for less than 2 seconds and then stops, then starts again and stops. It is really loud (louder than l remember since I got the car), and annoying and I don't think its normal for the motor to rev up to 1200rpm then drop to 400 (dam near stalling) while the fan has it's hissy fit. Any one else?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bw4u
Hey Guys,
Don't mean to thread hijack, but it is related. My 05RA started doing this only in the last month, but nothing for the previous year I had it. Also, has anyone had their fan constantly turn on and off at idle? I will be sitting at a set of lights, and the fan kicks in for less than 2 seconds and then stops, then starts again and stops. It is really loud (louder than l remember since I got the car), and annoying and I don't think its normal for the motor to rev up to 1200rpm then drop to 400 (dam near stalling) while the fan has it's hissy fit. Any one else?

Your fan turns on and at the same time your engine revs up and down? At idle, even with a cycling A/C compressor and fan, the tach shouldn't move a whole lot.
With A/C on, my fan only runs for a few seconds at a time.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

i checked mine and the fan isnt spinning. i thini it muight be cause of the weather
Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Yes mine was doing that too, should have mentioned it.
Not only would it happen after turning off the engine - but at low RPM/slow speeds - driving around car parks was embarrassing as you could really hear the fan sounding wierd with its revving.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan_VRX06
Yes mine was doing that too, should have mentioned it.
Not only would it happen after turning off the engine - but at low RPM/slow speeds - driving around car parks was embarrassing as you could really hear the fan sounding wierd with its revving.
Well, I guess I am glad that someone else has had it too, and had it fixed as well . It definitely is embarrassing, especially sitting at a set of lights, and it sounds like there is 10 hoover vacuums running under the hood.

Did you notice if the engine rpms were all over the place when this happened to you? My fan problems start when the car is warmed up and has been driven for about 10 minutes. Oh well, guess I better give the dealership a call. Thanks for the info. At least I have some idea what they should be looking for now.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:39 PM

yea, im off of work tomorrow so im heading to the dealership for sure

Quick Reply: Should it make that noise...