Notices

Can you hear the Mivec Switchover?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would actually prefer if Mivec kicked in at about 4500-4800rpm, anyone else?
Old Mar 28, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MITVRX
I would actually prefer if Mivec kicked in at about 4500-4800rpm, anyone else?

I do too
i feel like it kicks in too early
we're already torquey enough to handle the low range RPM resulting in our awesome launches, we jst need the umph after that, more horses to add to the distance. hahah come to think of it its like our big brother EVO. They have the launch to kill many from a stop, but if you have maybe say like a 350z and catch them on the freeway, from a roll youd have a better chance.
I dont know to you guys but i think mitsu should've given us a little more ponies with a small factory turbo or something hahah
since we are precieved to be to the EVO what the WRX is to the STi correct?
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, but I guess our torque is very linear.

Theres really nothing to the evo, not even us, but the wrx to the sti is correct even though theres a big difference, just an upgraded, sophisticated platorm.

Well...NOT TO WORRY... 08 next year, RA ftw, blow everyone away rofl.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:42 PM

not too sure if this has been posted before, but this is my fav video of the evo. watch and be amazed... you all probably seen it before... god i love the evo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArT4a6ISKR8
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

i think i can hear it switchover.......

i want the 08 lancer................. Does anyone know how muhc would it cost in Ozzieland?
Old Mar 29, 2007, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

^given that the price is 20000USD i would say in the high twenties to low 30's depending on extras and stuff, also coz its a new car, wait a few month for prices to drop maybe?

also, MITVRX, if the mivec kicked in that late at 4500, then it only has 2500-3000 RPM left to work its magic, so 3500 is good coz u get 3500 odd linear torque as u said, but maybe a bit more kick would be nice, also i remember reading somewhere that in NSW they banned P and L platers having VTEC(along with V8's and turbo cars) coz of the sudden power "punch" and im gonna be pissed off cozhere in VIC they wanna stop P platers haveing turbos and even V6's, so i gotta try and get my kit before the laws come in!!!

also Rallitracc, yeah major repost, but still AWESOME non the less, but there is an 11 minute vid on there which shows th down sides to the evo8 fq 400
*edit found the vid* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ZWJ...elated&search=

Last edited by stEVOx; Mar 29, 2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
come on
mivec is nothing
its not like vtec or anything like that
Old Mar 29, 2007, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Riceball, of course mivec is not like VTEC genius. Say something worth reading.

Also, mivec is more of a linear torque rather than a "surge" of power towards top-end. I mean, if you think about it, can you think of any vtec besides the s2000 that produces more than 200nm of torque? I think not.

Now if Honda changed the torque curve to be more smooth, they'd produce better torque numbers. But thats a different story.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by egk-69
Im pretty Sure mivec activates at 4,500 on the Ralliarts, cause I can clearly hear it

heres another video with my Injen CAI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL66jCqqgBY

in this week im going to put a LED on the cable that send the signal of activation, so I can really really see, in what RPM it is activating
It activates at a certain oil pressure. Don't recall, but it is equivalent to 3500RPM +/- 100.

mitsu built the engine this way for many reasons. there have been many posts and threads discussing the reasoning behind it.

they obviously didn't build the engine soley for power either so we'll have to wait and see. The cam from RRM (going in a car next weekend if I'm not mistaken) will give us a good indication on what changing this part of the motor can do for us. The car I am referring to already has the cam gear as well, so while he won't be able to change the RPM it kicks in at he will be able to adjust where on the powerband it is. At this point, it's the best option we have that's not standalone
Old Mar 29, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

^^tuesday for the camshaft.

That video was sick.

And despite the noise ill take mivec over vtec anyday. im not a track car guy but i love my torque and the vtecs dont have it. it makes the car more fun to drive then a car with loud noise.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:09 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
even the s2000 doesn't have that much torque....
Old Mar 29, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah s2000 is about 210nm of torque.

Nothing impressive. But I guess the car handles very well, and with some tuning, that car is a rocket
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

you guys are forgetting that we have 2.4L engine, thats why we have so much Tq, not because of mivec of vtec, or anything, hehe

and I dont know, but I still insist that Ralliarts kick in at 4,500 and wont change my mind till some one proves im wrong with some kind of test or something

because If that noise is not mivec (im pretty sure it is) , then what is it???
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by stEVOx
^given that the price is 20000USD i would say in the high twenties to low 30's depending on extras and stuff, also coz its a new car, wait a few month for prices to drop maybe?

also, MITVRX, if the mivec kicked in that late at 4500, then it only has 2500-3000 RPM left to work its magic, so 3500 is good coz u get 3500 odd linear torque as u said, but maybe a bit more kick would be nice, also i remember reading somewhere that in NSW they banned P and L platers having VTEC(along with V8's and turbo cars) coz of the sudden power "punch" and im gonna be pissed off cozhere in VIC they wanna stop P platers haveing turbos and even V6's, so i gotta try and get my kit before the laws come in!!!

also Rallitracc, yeah major repost, but still AWESOME non the less, but there is an 11 minute vid on there which shows th down sides to the evo8 fq 400
*edit found the vid* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ZWJ...elated&search=
wow that is some serious TURBO LAG... holy crap.. that was pitafull..
Old Mar 30, 2007, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

4500 sounds about right to me too. also more torque has to do with the different compression ratio.

Quick Reply: Can you hear the Mivec Switchover?