Notices

Tire PSI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2007, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i usually go 2-3 psi above the stated pressure, and check it with my own gauge as the ones at service stations often lie, different readings place to place etc. I found when I put a bit too much in the fronts and they got hot that they rubbed a bit when turning on a bumpy surface so usually around 37-38 on the front (35 stated)
Old Sep 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been wondering about this too but I have been running 38 all around on my 205/40R17s because thats what I was told. But the stock tire pressure recommends more in the front than the back. Would that still apply on aftermarket rims or not?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

tire pressure is subjective, but generally speaking you need to run between 30 and 38 psi on the street. it depends more on your driving style than your rim size. more in the front is to force understeer instead of oversteer, or at least that's what I can figure. (not that understeer is a problem for the stock suspension )
Old Sep 6, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

btw, thanks for finding a thread and bumping it instead of starting a new one
Old Sep 6, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
btw, thanks for finding a thread and bumping it instead of starting a new one
Lol, I was about to when my search didnt work out but then I decided to read through the Wheels/tires/brakes/suspension/whatever else(lol) first and I found it. I like doing that because that way I go into a bunch of other threads that look interesting and learn new stuff.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

36 - 36 psi for everyday and 42 - 34 for auto-x events (always depend on many factors)
Old Sep 6, 2007, 02:35 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
tire pressure is subjective, but generally speaking you need to run between 30 and 38 psi on the street. it depends more on your driving style than your rim size. more in the front is to force understeer instead of oversteer, or at least that's what I can figure. (not that understeer is a problem for the stock suspension )
Quite the opposite. Overinflating the front tires is to reduce understeer. The idea is that with greater inflation, you reduce the risk of the tire "rolling over", or flexing to the point where you're driving on the sidewall instead of the tread, and losing traction in the corner.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

along your line of thinking I would hypothesize that the front tires are overinflated (compared to the rear) because of the huge understeer already present in the RA. actually, now that I am going over it in my head it makes more sense that way anyway, as (and again I may be talking out my *** again) I believe the uneven tire pressure(at least front bias) is predominantly in FWD vehicles. I haven't had to inflate too many RWD car tires, and no AWD, but it makes sense.

btw, my original line of thinking was safety. understeer is much easier to control for an average driver than oversteer, so from a safety standpoint you want understeer all day.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:44 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

I run 34 up front, 32 in the rear. I dont autocross but like to corner a little fast so I find it to be a good compromise between comfort and handling.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been running 36 front, 33 rear this whole summer, on stock wheels and BFG KDW2s. That's up about half a pound each from last year.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

I've been running 36 all around with the KDW's, still get a little push sometimes though. that will happen until I can get new springs and shocks though
Old Sep 7, 2007, 05:16 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
along your line of thinking I would hypothesize that the front tires are overinflated (compared to the rear) because of the huge understeer already present in the RA. actually, now that I am going over it in my head it makes more sense that way anyway, as (and again I may be talking out my *** again) I believe the uneven tire pressure(at least front bias) is predominantly in FWD vehicles. I haven't had to inflate too many RWD car tires, and no AWD, but it makes sense.

btw, my original line of thinking was safety. understeer is much easier to control for an average driver than oversteer, so from a safety standpoint you want understeer all day.
Yeah, for DD you definitely want understeer. Rear tire pressure will have a greater effect on that, though. Overinflate the rear and even our car will spin easily. I've never paid this much attention to tire pressure on anything but a FWD car, so I'm not sure how different AWD and RWD would be.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

man i run 38 front and 34 back year round...
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

i run 35 all around w/ stock wheels and tires. i had em at 40 before but i noticed the middle was wearing a little more than the sides so i brought em back down.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:19 AM

I'm running 30 30 30 30. the tires recommend between 30 and 45. The car doesn't seem to understeer to me unless try to accelerate within in a corner. This makes total sense considering it is front wheel drive and a rear wheel drive would probably oversteer with the same inputs.

Consider that where the front wheels would travel straight in a FWD while the rear wheels grip that the rear wheels would travel straight in a RWD while the front wheels would grip.

Actually, the balance of the ralliart is pretty good, the lack of a LSD up from probably provokes more oversteer under acceleration, which is to be expected.

You can get around pretty fast without squealing your tires. at 30 30 30 30 the tire wear is very even and the tires are still good after a year which is a miracle for me, although I'm sure it definitely depends upon the tires that you use.

Quick Reply: Tire PSI