Notices

Tire PSI

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, I'm on set number six IIRC, and I got mine in Dec '04. 30 all around is going to create too much roll for anything but granny driving, no matter what tire you have (barring 18's with no sidewall to speak of)

understeer is VERY prominent in this car until you get at least the tie bar. again, this is according to your driving habits. I have tie bar and sway bar and the car tends to oversteer much easier, but still exhibits understeer before oversteer. When I first got the KDW's on I was testing my tire pressure and the *** end came around a couple of times without me lifting off the throttle at all (sweeping back and forth on the wheel without letting the car settle accentuates oversteer ) the tires don't roll at all with 36 psi(kdw's)

Last edited by DangerousDan; Sep 7, 2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce988jl
Federals up front, 40 PSI both
Falken Ziex in back at 35PSI..

At the track 20 up front and 40 in back.
Depending on your tire size, you should be careful running such a low psi on your front tires during hard cornering. Even though they do heat up, you can roll a bead that low. I run 40 up front and 38 out back daily on 205/40-17 with a 50 psi max. If I was to autocross them, i would imagine a 30-32 up front and a 40-42 in rear would perform well depending on track conditions. My $.02
Old Sep 7, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I think he meant 1/4 mile. some people live their lives 1/4 mile at a time yo!!

30 to 32 up front in autocross=loss for you. they don't heat up much in the few seconds your lap runs. how is your tire wear with 40 psi up front daily? and what tires are you running? that's too stiff for street driving, unless you bought cheapos you will be wearing too much in the middle of the tire and won't get as much traction due to the overinflation. ESPECIALLY in TX, where your surface temps remain hot as hell all year. I would bet at 40psi a run to the grocery store will put you at least to 44psi.

my $.02
Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:28 PM

I don't know, I think there is an optimum pressure for racing if your doing a track. but i'm not racing my car so 30 all around is good. Actually i'd usually go higher but I think these tires like 30.

Also, on oversteer and understeer, what can provoke understeer in one condition can provoke oversteer in another but generally you do want your tires to be filled up good so that the contact patch is maintained and you do not drive on a bad part of the tire. At some point, overinflation will begin to cause understeer. This also depends upon a number of variables like exactly how you are driving or how bumpy it is, how hot or cold it is, the tire geometry and sidewall itself, the camber of the wheels and road.

Last edited by lundefinedl; Sep 7, 2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I am speaking in general terms, your tires may have a strong sidewall and run just fine for daily driving, but if you beat on them (on the track or off) no matter what the construction they will roll at that pressure.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:07 PM

Ya I think I agree with you. All I was saying is that given a variety of variables and driving style, some given pressure will be optimum.

I'm not racing my car or beating the tires at all. That doesn't have to mean you drive slow, it just means you are not attempting to approach the limit. Believe me, if I could afford it, I'd be spending more time pushing the limits.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run my tires on pavement.
Usually get the best traction...
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:21 PM

Pressures

I've gone the other way. I'm trying out 29psi all around. I have the RR rear sway bar but also have wider tires, 215.50x16 on 7inch rims. So I have a little softer ride with more rubber on the road. 50 series tires don't roll over too badly on hard turns. That being said if I were to auto-X I would crank up the pressures, probably more on the front end for turn in responce.
Just my $0.02
Old Sep 9, 2007, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
yeah, I'm on set number six IIRC, and I got mine in Dec '04. 30 all around is going to create too much roll for anything but granny driving, no matter what tire you have (barring 18's with no sidewall to speak of)

understeer is VERY prominent in this car until you get at least the tie bar. again, this is according to your driving habits. I have tie bar and sway bar and the car tends to oversteer much easier, but still exhibits understeer before oversteer. When I first got the KDW's on I was testing my tire pressure and the *** end came around a couple of times without me lifting off the throttle at all (sweeping back and forth on the wheel without letting the car settle accentuates oversteer ) the tires don't roll at all with 36 psi(kdw's)

Yeah, the sway bar helps a TON. I'm actually curious as to how the stock setup feels, since I've had the sway bar for at least a couple years now.

As for tires, I usually do 35 up front and 32 in back. I'm actually getting a bit too much center wear though, I guess I'm not tearing up the corners as much as I should be.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDan
I think he meant 1/4 mile. some people live their lives 1/4 mile at a time yo!!

30 to 32 up front in autocross=loss for you. they don't heat up much in the few seconds your lap runs. how is your tire wear with 40 psi up front daily? and what tires are you running? that's too stiff for street driving, unless you bought cheapos you will be wearing too much in the middle of the tire and won't get as much traction due to the overinflation. ESPECIALLY in TX, where your surface temps remain hot as hell all year. I would bet at 40psi a run to the grocery store will put you at least to 44psi.

my $.02
I've been running 205/40's for about 5 years. I've gone through several different brands and styles. I've found that on a 50 psi max tire, when i run 40 and they heat to 44, i get the best wear. They wear evenly all around. I drive pretty aggressive on a daily basis. When i don't inflate close to 40 i start to see exccessive wear on the outsides of the tires. They seem to last a little longer if I run 40. I used to run recommended psi, then started creeping higher. It got better until i inflated 44, so i backed off to 40. 44 is where i love to be-don't have to worry about taking hairpins at 60 any time I "need" to, and I feel the "need" quite often! Pretty much daily
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like your driving style supports your pressures then. you drive like I do