Notices

tune up and dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tune up and dyno tune

i have almost 58k on my car. when should i get a tune-up, and what would they change and check for in a tune up. i have never had one done. i got this one abour 3k miles ago from a shop/car sales place. and i dont think u can trust them with.... fixing and a tune up, you know.

also wat does a dyno tune consist of. i have no knowlege in that at all. if some one can explain this all to me that would be great.

and any one in the joliet/homer/orland/lockport area of illinois know were i could get a dyno tune done?
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

I believe if you refer to your owners manual, it will show you what basic checks, top-ups and road tests are needed. That should give you some sort of indication.

Using the dyno enables the technician to obtain power readings to compare before and after tuning performance and gauge improvements from performance modifications (i.e in your case, rrm cbe and injen sri). Also, while your car is on the dyno, the technician can also pinpoint problems, for example inadequate fuel flow, poorly flowing injectors, ignition problems and check for any lean areas etc.

Referring to http://www.dynotune.com.au/

The technician will most likely get your reading from 3rd or 4th gear and from this be able to show you where your power peaks at, air to fuel ratio, hp, torque etc.

Now let me tell you, there is WAY more to a dyno tune then what I've explained, found and experienced - but that should give you some sort of idea

Last edited by MITVRX; Sep 15, 2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hellview
i have almost 58k on my car. when should i get a tune-up, and what would they change and check for in a tune up. i have never had one done. i got this one abour 3k miles ago from a shop/car sales place. and i dont think u can trust them with.... fixing and a tune up, you know.

also wat does a dyno tune consist of. i have no knowlege in that at all. if some one can explain this all to me that would be great.

and any one in the joliet/homer/orland/lockport area of illinois know were i could get a dyno tune done?
at 60k you should have already done your tranny fluid at least once, and should do it now as well.

cabin air filter(if equipped, I believe all RA)
oil and filter
check coolant condition(you're in PR, maybe change anyway?)
check power steering fluid condition
change brake fluid
check brakes
check plugs(should be fine, 90k+/- lifetime)
consider your battery
check belt condition
possible first timing belt. the actual schedule is 60k, or 100k in some states (stupid legalities )
if you do the timing belt, change everything in there as well. might as well pay for it once, instead of eight times that amount if another component fails and your belt snaps destroying a piston
check exhaust system condition. not sure if the federal warranty covers PR, or that you haven't changed anything(I'm not in quick reply) but at 60k you should at least take a look.
intake filter

probably missed something, it's the asscrakadawn here
Old Sep 15, 2007, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

you cant dyno tune your car without some kind of piggyback ECU. in a dyno tune the make adjustments to that, adjustable cam gears, and that type of stuff to get the max HP out of your car.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

how's the car treating you A?
Old Sep 15, 2007, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Dan, are you talking to R329? Hehe.

Hows your car treating you Dan! Any updates? You need to update your turbo thread!
Old Sep 15, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, nothing new there. just trying to sell this SMT-6 so I can get a mapecu2. much more features and I can eliminate the MAF altogether. It shouldn't have a problem with timing either, it delays the ignition signal itself rather than the cam or crank sensor. they have a forum on their website, and responded to all my questions within a day. I am very confident in this unit and the support I will get after purchasing it.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=DangerousDan;4747411]at 60k you should have already done your tranny fluid at least once, and should do it now as well.

well i bought this one at 66k on it so im just saying, you think i can trust the person befor me, or the dealer, thinking that they have done it yet?

also. are you saying they need a befor dyno test (befor my mods) to dyno and tune it?

also how mutch does this usualy cost. my friend told me the other day that its pretty expensive.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

you have lot's more research to do, but no, no, and kinda.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
you have lot's more research to do, but no, no, and kinda.
i was just wondering for piece of mind. its not a huge interest i have at the moment