Notices

Heater knob broke

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:37 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDan
ohhoho! it's not broken, but it won't move when it's that cold. the cable is flexing too much to move it when it's warmed up, it still only went all the way to hot two or three times out of 50
Reach under the dash and manually move it all the way to hot, then regulate the heat level in the car with the windows or recirc button. Srsly, though, try lubricating the cable. It certainly won't make it worse.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
srsly, couldn't be worse. I could care less
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:04 PM

needle nose pliers work great for a while...until you completely lose you temper (like i did when i broke the knob in the first place!) and break the little plasic piece that holds the knob on. should've listened to my dad a long time ago when he said "if it don' fit...don't force it!" so now it's that inconvenient loooong reach under the dash. (not recommended when the car is moving). homer at the dealership said i had to replace the entire thing to include the hold/cold selector, fan motor switch, and the other selector. told me they only sell the entire cluster. anyone know if that's true...?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I have a similar issue, my knobs spin but they do not change the direction of the air.
the hot/cold knob is fine tho...
which REALLY sucks when you need to defrost your front window.
These tough to fix?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

I broke mine almost a month ago (single diget temp. outside). I have had to turn the white thing with needle nose pliers ever since. I can't bring myself to spend $250 to replace the whole thing when a 50 cent peice of plastic broke. I started looking around for a used part but I got to buisy to do anything about it. If anyone sees this and has a part to sell, PM me.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so otter you're lubing the actual cable or the door that shifts open/closed itself??
i've been meaning to do this as well.. along with fixing my trunk lock mechanism. I can't open my trunk with the key.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

I can't open my trunk lock with a key either. I thought it jamed after I was rear-ended (more like lightly tapped). But it doesn't work with the key either way. Let me me know what you do to fix it.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:17 PM

My cold/hot temperature knob is broken(plastic shaft) and want to know if anyone is selling a replacement unit? Please let me know ASAP if you have one for sale.

I know it requires pulling the dash off and the mitsu dealer wanted $500 for it plus labor. I would rather fix it myself.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

i got the same problem but theirs a little way to fix it if you call it fixing at the bottom by the gas pedalls to the right side theirs this part that moves out and in if you push it back i belive you will get hot air when you move it it should move the heater knob if you need picks just ask b happy to help
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

yea they just want to make more money
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having this fixed by the dealer, under warranty. They said they have to replace the blend door/case and seals. They claim it will take them a full day to do the work, and possibly part of the next. They looked at it today, and had to order parts to complete the work.

Am I right in assuming that since the refrigerant has to be discharged (see tsb), that they will have to fill it up to the correct capacity when they're done? So, in effect, don't I get a free refrigerant recharge?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:33 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for this post. You guys saved me some $$$. Moving the lever manually works great IMO. Sux that I had to find out about the TSB through here after being out of warranty. The dealer said that once you break the white plastic holding the knob you have to replace the whole thing? Is that true? and has anyone done it yet... on their own.. not through the dealer?

Last edited by sayamanz; Oct 15, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine just broke today too. Weird. Temp select was always a tough turn, but it never jammed like today. It broke well before I applied more force than normal.

Anyone know the assembly part number? I don't mind spending the money; I just want this fixed.

Thanks. (03 Evo)
AC
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:55 PM

Mine broke today as well. I had been having issues with it for a while, especially went it got to the half way point. Today, I just just turned it too hard and SNAP!!!! I'm so mad right now.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

5 years of having my car and my knob finally broke. It's been tough to rotate since day one. Where exactly is that cable under the dash that I can move to adjust the blend door? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Heater knob broke