Notices

Your RA reliability.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'04 RA with 87k (Otter you finally got me beat )

Rear control arms replaced under warranty due to bushing noise, need to be done again as noise is back.

Clutch slave cylinder failed at 83k, drove the car 2/3 of the way to work, to the dealer after work, and then home without being able to disengage the clutch. Changed the slave for $63 and 10 minutes, and it's fine now.

...and lately my CEL is on again for P0171, so I've been datalogging and adjusting my piggyback to try to compensate again, so far without any luck. Fuel trim low is dead on at 100. Mid ranges from 86 to 122, and my high seems to be stuck around 136 to 140. If that doesn't change soon, the CAI and Piggy are coming out. I can't stand having a CEL glaring up at me.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RotaryGreg
2004 RALLIART.
100500 KM

Repairs under first owner(not me)-throttle cable sticking/replaced twice appearantly? also rear control arms replaced.
No repairs for me yet, ive got a wheel bearing rumbling, still gotta put it up on a hoist to figure out which one, but other than that, nothing yet. regular maintenance though.

the two people that have already popped their headgaskets, that makes me nervous. i dont beat on my car though so i guess i shouldnt worry. might need to do a clutch soon. rear control arms are squeeking again, but its just a squeek i can deal with that. and the week trannies seems like a big problem. these dont look to be such a reliable car IMO, but i've never had any trouble with it yet so we will see.

Greg
for the record mine didn't go, I was doing head work.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
for the record mine didn't go, I was doing head work.
ah, good to know.

Greg
Old Oct 31, 2007, 08:33 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by GearDownSon
Lol why you say that!?
Cause paranoia will destroya

Pretty awesome car.
I keep thinking a big problem is going to sneak up on me...
Old Oct 31, 2007, 08:17 PM

05 RA with 34,000 km. not one problem (except i think my driver's seat bracket is loose...could be my fat a$$ throwing myself into the car all the time). Oil changes every 5K on the dot..Mr. Lube with the extra 5 bucks for the OEM filter.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 08:18 PM

way better then the multitude of problems with my Jetta VR6. that thing cost me 65 bucks for an oil change, and that was doing it myself. damn.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:43 PM
EvoM Community Team

Ugh i hate the person that started this thread... and just tonight my SES light comes on... HATE YOU!!! you made me jinx myself.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by GearDownSon
Pretty awesome car.
I keep thinking a big problem is going to sneak up on me...
I feel the same way

2004 Ralliart
98000 KM

* Paint pealing on hood - resprayed twice under warranty (paintjob on hood does not match rest of car now).
* Control arm bushings make noise in the back - gets pretty bad when its cold out.
* Fan relay is sticking keeping the radiator fan on for about 20 seconds after I shut the car off.

I'll get the relay fixed as soon as I get some spare time, the bushing I'll just grease up when I get a chance and the hood will have to be resprayed again at some point (thats some cheap paint).

Otherwise the car is solid, even though I drive it as if it was a rental.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:50 PM

leak in rad
covered under warrenty
Old Nov 4, 2007, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Repairs - none at this time
Reliability - Went into limp mode a few times.. but I think it was bad gas. Good once I reset the ECU and got good non-military base gas. Had an issue with a wet floor about 2yrs ago. My floor would be soaked like toes deep with water during rainy season(or as WA calls it winter) and I couldnt' figure out how it was getting in. Ripped up the carpet and cleaned out the water and everything has been fine since "knock on wood"

- Couple knicks and dents here and there, nothing serious
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Ugh i hate the person that started this thread... and just tonight my SES light comes on... HATE YOU!!! you made me jinx myself.

Sorry there, didn't mean to jinx anybody. Any idea what code you threw? Take it to autozone and get the code read for free.

I included my EGR valve which is an emission control part. The check engine light comes on but a few days later will turn itself off. I'll have to replace it eventually and it sucks because the part for our car is way more than the comparible one for the evo or base lancer.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:11 PM
EvoM Community Team

Yah, I took it to autozone and it threw a p0171... It's basically a maf sensor code. I went and bought maf cleaner, and when I got in my car, the code went off . I'll still clean it this weekend though.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:30 PM

04, 32k miles.

Still nothing wrong, drives great, and I drive her hard on occasion.

10/10
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
If that was all that had gone wrong on my car in 75,000 miles, it'd be getting a 10 out of 10.

89,000 miles
Warranty work (done within first 20k miles) - 2 rear control arms replaced, 3 struts replaced
Current issues - Struts blown again, partial blame on s-techs. Rear control arms need replacing again due to bushing noise. Flexpipe is leaking badly, needs replacement. Accel. pedal position sensor is dying, needs replacement soon.
Repairs will cost me around $600 in parts and a lot of my free time.

Doesn't include wear items (clutch, brakes, tires, etc). Overall rating would be 7 out of 10, because overall, mechanically, it seems to be holding up fine. Just a lot of annoyances. It's enough though to where I probably won't own another Mitsubishi unless it's an Evo.

wow, harsh words from the ott.

well all i have for mods are the short throw, CAI motor mounts and a few small ones. (only issue was my fault with the certain engine repair that didnt go my way and had to go to mitsu to get it done right... *sigh*
I havent had any issues with this car at all *knock on wood*
04 Lab Black
9/10
take away a point cause it loves to eat tires.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 with ~ 45k

TOB replaced, release fork had to be regreased @ 30k. Replaced under warranty. Bought a new clutch disc for $100 and had them put that on there while they were at it. Didn't even charge me labor since they were in there anyway doing warranty work. Yay!

Other than that no real issues.....and I have done about 30 autocrosses with the car. I drive it hard but don't abuse it. On my 4th set of tires (2 autocross, 2 street).

Quick Reply: Your RA reliability.