Notices

Your RA reliability.

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2008, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
year 04
2nd owner
about 1 thousand miles short of 70000 miles
major maintence: clutch burnt out at 65k ish (i delivered food in it.. bad idea, i nearly double the miles on it in 5 or 6 months, really really bad idea) some slight troubles with the EGR; a small leak in the A/C pipes (so i had no A/c in sh1tty georgia weather).
accidents: some indian teenager hit me at a relatively slow speed, and there wasn't much damage to the car(the rear bumper has 1/16 of an inch gap in between the rest of the body), but i have narrowly avoided at least 10 other 'possibly serious' accidents

i love my car, my previous was a bmw 318ti, and i totally love the ralliart a ton more.
and its really humorous when people ask if its an evo too haha. overall its been pretty reliable, i'm just having to back off of the driving cuz of gas prices
Old May 27, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

RalliartJP, sounds like a lemon.
Old May 28, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Only problems were my fault

RRM CAI pulled a cel for about 30 min then went off when firts installed, still scared of hydro lock though. Not screwing in my gas cap tightly set off the cel, couldnt figure it out till I read the gas cap. I flew down and off the side of a dirt road at 35 mph and smashed down hard wish crushed my 3.5 in exhausht almost shut and pushed it over and up 4 inches and melted my rear lip bad, that set off the cel again for a cranshaft positions sensor but went off after I had the code read. I took off my calipers to paint them and apparently routed the lines wrong so air was always trapped and spent 3 weeks and 4 bottles of brake fluid to figure out the problem. Then I did the rear ones with the lines still connected and stupidly forgot and stepped on the brakes and shot out one of pistons but I managed to put it back in. No squeaking from any where, no problems in the cold, except these cars suck in the snow, no problmes with tint. I even tried to put on a set of ebay cheapo coilovers, and of course they didnt fit, I took out the front springs and struts by myself w/o really knowing what I was doing and put them back in w/o torque specs and havent had a problem. Clutch is still fine, I red line and speedshift all the time, I only miss 3rd gear sometime for some reason, Im not a fan of side stepping the pedal, I launch much better by easing my foot fast at 3000 rpms. 10.5 at 80mph in 3rd gear in 8th mile.

Now for the bad, aftermarket radio went out, havent fixed because it went before I deployed. Ash tray light burnt out, dome light burnt out. I have a lot of rust spots in my paint along with driping and chips but still looks good with wax. Passinger headlight full of condesation, fender and bumper gaps are off since accident. Windshield and rear glass trim molding always pops out of place. Lost turn signals, wipers, clock, and something else, anyhow no one including the dealership could figure it out, turned out to be some steering colum control unit that went bad, that cost me $400 at the dealership cuz they wouldnt cover it since I had a kenwood cd player and I had wiring under my dash, stupid idiots, I showed them it was for my neons wich run straight to the battery, nothing spliced.

Not bad, much better than an american car but could be better.

Waiting to be put on is my act clutch, findanza flywheel, rrm pulley, rrm clutch line, ss brake lines, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, high output alternator, custom box and 1600w of bump.
Old May 28, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Most problems were my fault

RRM CAI pulled a cel for about 30 min then went off when firts installed, still scared of hydro lock though. Not screwing in my gas cap tightly set off the cel, couldnt figure it out till I read the gas cap. I flew down and off the side of a dirt road at 35 mph and smashed down hard wish crushed my 3.5 in exhausht almost shut and pushed it over and up 4 inches and melted my rear lip bad, that set off the cel again for a cranshaft positions sensor but went off after I had the code read. I took off my calipers to paint them and apparently routed the lines wrong so air was always trapped and spent 3 weeks and 4 bottles of brake fluid to figure out the problem. Then I did the rear ones with the lines still connected and stupidly forgot and stepped on the brakes and shot out one of pistons but I managed to put it back in. No squeaking from any where, no problems in the cold, except these cars suck in the snow, no problmes with tint. I even tried to put on a set of ebay cheapo coilovers, and of course they didnt fit, I took out the front springs and struts by myself w/o really knowing what I was doing and put them back in w/o torque specs and havent had a problem. Clutch is still fine, I red line and speedshift all the time, I only miss 3rd gear sometime for some reason, Im not a fan of side stepping the pedal, I launch much better by easing my foot fast at 3000 rpms. 10.5 at 80mph in 3rd gear in 8th mile.

Now for the bad, valve lash is off when mivec kicks in either that or a bad valve. Aftermarket radio went out, havent fixed because it went before I deployed. Ash tray light burnt out, dome light burnt out. I have a lot of rust spots in my paint along with driping and chips but still looks good with wax. Passinger headlight full of condesation, fender and bumper gaps are off since accident. Windshield and rear glass trim molding always pops out of place. Lost turn signals, wipers, clock, and something else, anyhow no one including the dealership could figure it out, turned out to be some steering colum control unit that went bad, that cost me $400 at the dealership cuz they wouldnt cover it since I had a kenwood cd player and I had wiring under my dash, stupid idiots, I showed them it was for my neons wich run straight to the battery, nothing spliced.

Not bad, much better than an american car but could be better.

Waiting to be put on is my act clutch, findanza flywheel, rrm pulley, rrm clutch line, ss brake lines, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, high output alternator, custom box and 1600w of bump.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Well I took my car in for transmission problems. They said it needed to be replaced, dont remember what part cause my paper work is in my car which is at the dealership. So the car took 15 days, apparently a part was on back order. After finding that out the mechanic looked at the part on back order and realized he could fix it. So I pick my car up and I drive it home, take the turnpike and when I get home I realize my shifter has huge issues. Didnt notice this on the way home cause I wasnt using first gear much, but the car wouldnt always go into 1st. It would sometimes pop into 3rd causing my car to rev up. So I called them up and complained, they said bring it back in. They claim it was a broken clip, not sure if that sounds reasonable but ill have to see. So now I have to pick the car up tomorrow, and come back a third time cause in the process of replacing the trans they seemed to have ripped a ball joint. Its been a horrible experience.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

06 ra

20,000 miles

squeking from the rear , and also clunking from the front
Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

'05
manual

no major problems or any small ones for that matter...just slight chipping on front air dam. I drive agressively (thru curves and country roads) but never launch hard or abuse the gears- basically i don't drag race. keep it washed and detailed and garaged..looks like the day I got it, runs great..never been off the pavement either...great car, will keep it for as long as she lasts.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:36 PM

o4
No major problems, had the air sensor gone bad and the fan control module other than that i'm very happy and will keep it while it last, even if I buy the 2009 Ralliart
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, back from the dead. I made this post last year. Didn't expect it to be so popular.

I got 85 K on the Ralliart now. Put all new Axxis Brake pads on and things are running good. I also get some occasional noises but nothing to really be worried about. Great to hear everyone's experiences.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
'04 RA with 87k (Otter you finally got me beat )

Rear control arms replaced under warranty due to bushing noise, need to be done again as noise is back.

Clutch slave cylinder failed at 83k, drove the car 2/3 of the way to work, to the dealer after work, and then home without being able to disengage the clutch. Changed the slave for $63 and 10 minutes, and it's fine now.

...and lately my CEL is on again for P0171, so I've been datalogging and adjusting my piggyback to try to compensate again, so far without any luck. Fuel trim low is dead on at 100. Mid ranges from 86 to 122, and my high seems to be stuck around 136 to 140. If that doesn't change soon, the CAI and Piggy are coming out. I can't stand having a CEL glaring up at me.
Update: Now with 119k, the windshield and driver's door window have been replaced (one broken by a rock thrown up by a truck tire, the other broken by some thief), failed MAF sensor has been replaced, alternator just died and needs to be replaced, accessory belt tensioner also needs to be replaced. I also get a random multiple misfire code and CEL whenever a passenger bumps the ECU wiring with their leg.

I did finally get the CEL from the P0171 to go away by adjusting the piggyback, though I think it needs it again, the fuel trims are still out of whack. Still thinking about pulling the CAI and piggy out. The rate I'm going, I'll finally get around to doing it when the car tops 300k.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:11 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, you've been slacking I'm approaching 170,000 I'm absolutely amazed that I haven't yet had to replace my alternator or something along those lines.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im not to sure where i stand as of now.
As for repairs all ive had go wrong is the battery and clutch issues with aftermarket parts.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

So far the only major problem is the master door lock on the driver's side door has failed, so the keyless entry works maybe 30% of the time, I have generally just trained myself to use the key to open and lock the doors.

I'd replace it but the part is around $200 and I can't afford that at the moment.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
Wow, you've been slacking I'm approaching 170,000 I'm absolutely amazed that I haven't yet had to replace my alternator or something along those lines.
My motorcycle's been picking up the slack. I ride whenever I can, which is most of the time down here. The bike saved about 8k a year from the car when I lived in WI, will be more now that I'm in FL.

The alternator was fine when I parked the car a couple weeks ago. Got in it a few days ago to drive the wife into town, and the brake and battery lights were staring up at me. How does an alternator go bad from sitting for two weeks?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

wow... otter's 272'000km. I'm only at 59'000. haha. I need to do some more driving I think.

No mechanical faults. Only suspension squeaks and some rattles and metalic knocks. All from the terrible terrible edmonton roads. yuck.

Quick Reply: Your RA reliability.