Notices

Your RA reliability.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2010, 02:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
My motorcycle's been picking up the slack. I ride whenever I can, which is most of the time down here. The bike saved about 8k a year from the car when I lived in WI, will be more now that I'm in FL.

The alternator was fine when I parked the car a couple weeks ago. Got in it a few days ago to drive the wife into town, and the brake and battery lights were staring up at me. How does an alternator go bad from sitting for two weeks?
Critters?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 04:14 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
Critters?
Exactly what I was thinking LOL.

04, almost 50000 miles
Had the fan actuator replaced under the TSB and did the passenger side A-pillar TSB service myself.
The only problem I´ve had so far is a little grinding from 1st to 2nd when the tranny oil is cold (double clutching seems to help a bit some of the times) but I think its because of the oil (1:1 royal purple 75w-90 gear oil and penzoil synchomesh).

Also, the valve lash needs to be adjusted ahead of schedule since I can hear the valves ticking in pistons # 3 & 4 (dont know if it has to do with a time a few months back when I kinda hydrolocked (the car shut off but after checking the spark plugs and starting the car without them, the only water that I noticed went into a piston was in piston #4 and it was only a tiny dropplet that ended up sitting in the electrode.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:51 PM

65k miles

Hmm lets see so far the only thing I really have had to replace was my radiator which started leaking (most likely a result of damage when i railed a deer 2 years ago) and rear brake rotors, other than that everything else has just been scheduled maintenance. Otherwise my rear struts are noisy as hell when its cold, but when it warms up they tend to quite down, some other creaking and noises when its cold, but the radio makes that go away.

Id give 9.5 on reliability, but as for the paint Im going to try my hand at repainting the hood this summer, I figure its the easiest to take off the car and being that there is no clear coat should be pretty easy to do, maybe if it works out well i can fix all the rock chips on my bumper....
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

05 Ralliart
168,000km's
2nd owner

So far so good. Honestly I was picking up an '07 350Z originally but then I felt I needed to be a bit more practical as I was getting engaged so I went with this as it was the sportiest looking car in the price range and could be driven in winter (I was trying not to deal with storage and having 2 cars again)

I heard previous owner was a sales rep for phone company which is why so many miles, was a smoker too but got that smell out within the first month or two.

Issues:
- Fan controller
- Replaced Brakes and discs
- Replaced original Battery

I have the squeaking in the back but I've grown fond of it lol.

Thats about it, given the Km's, makes sense. Car has been really good and I don't feel I have a car with that much mileage, been driving it for almost 1 year. I bought it with 158KM on it so even with one trip to Toronto and back (10 hrs driving total) you can see I don't put on my Km's
Old Feb 16, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

04 w/ 74,000 miles on it

Only problem was a blown headlight.

Plans for it when it gets nice it the 60K service and going to put the car on stands and clean out everything.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:25 AM

'04
Struts are slightly starting to go bye bye.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

2005 RA 5 SPEED
110000 kms. Zero issues.

and thomar, i hear you about the edmonton roads... HORRIBLE.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Forgot to mention that I had to replace the radiator fan control unit. Cost me $120 and was an easy and quick install, haven't had any trouble yet and that was maybe 6-7 months ago.

Also @ 60k miles
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Christoforo
Forgot to mention that I had to replace the radiator fan control unit. Cost me $120 and was an easy and quick install, haven't had any trouble yet and that was maybe 6-7 months ago.

Also @ 60k miles
that really wasnt anyone fault but there own so you kinda didnt have any problems there just dumb and put it right by the hott air blowing fan as we all know hot and electronics dont mix....

i havent had any problems still other than things that i could have prevented and such nothing major though my sun roof is possesed and i did the programming for it but its still possesed lol and my rad fans are possesed to from the messed up control unit
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

2005 MT - 42,000 mi. - turbo since 36,000ish

@19k, front left wheel bearing started to whine, replaced under warranty
@35k, dreaded rear lower control arm squeek, both sides were replaced under warranty*
@39k, radiator fan controller unit (paid ~$70 out of pocket for part, easy fix)

*This was even with the RRM swaybar & perches, and Tein SS springs on at the time...I totally lucked out. All four struts are still ok, BTW.

Right now, the brakes could use a pad change, the clutch slips under full boost, but other than that, no problems. Though, the more Minnesota winters I go through with this car, a limited slip is looking more and more tempting...
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

2005 RA MT
147xxx Km (91xxx Miles)

Transmission replaced under warranty (with very poor workmanship, see: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...questions.html)
Fan Controller gone bad (not replaced yet, just unplugged one of the fans and never had a problem with over heating)
@110000 km Replaced both upper control arms and both link-assists, had to cut 2 of the bolts out because they were rusted.
@ 120000 km Replaced front and rear sway-bay end links because they both rusted and broke
@ 110000 km Replaced inner and outer tie rods on both sides
@ 130000 km Replaced Front left wheel bearing.
@ 1473XX km Rear right wheel hub making noise (Mar 14, 2010)
and some more probably.... I bought the car at 100000 km so I don't know what had to be done to it previously

Total spent on repairs: $800~

Reliability rating: My first car so I don't know personally, but comparing it to my friend's vehicles, I would say 7/10. Wouldn't buy another mitsubishi though because of the way I was treated by the dealership.

Last edited by Canada_Comp; Mar 14, 2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added problem
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

This thread just saved me a boat load of cash.
also, checking up parts on rock auto saved me a boat load too.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

1473XX km: Rear right wheel hub/bearing assembly just went and is making noise. play is 0.002" in the axial direction of you pull hard on the hub, which is the service limit. I'll be changing it within the next month.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Had the 60'000km service done today at northside mitsu.
At the same time I had them look at the knocking/clunking coming from the drivers side front. They concluded bad strut mount bearings and changed both front bearings under warranty.
Car feels a lot more solid again in the front. Seemed to have fixed the problem.

Oh, and they washed my car.

On a side note; found out today that an oil change for the new ralliarts are 180 bucks a pop. Boo.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:50 PM

04, 80k miles

only problem was my car was vandalized, they jumped ontop of my hood,broke my taillights and headlights. they also broke the side view mirrors off and put a bunch of dents into the car.

dumb drunk college kids! its okay, the kids got caught and paid for it all

Quick Reply: Your RA reliability.