Notices

MIVEC vs. VTEC...wtf?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitting VTEC is the coolest thing about a honda..they take that away and it just a boring commuter...can't believe they'd do that...the future of the auto industry SUCKS...goodbye fun cars hello to bland. quiet, fuel efficient hybrid ****s...enjoy it now boys..the powerful fun etc car is on the way out i'm afraid..in 10/15 years we'll be driving little prius type ****s and what gas is left will be 11.00 a gal...some analysts say 2012 will be a oil crisis..damn it
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:02 AM

Although I agree with you guys on the complexity issue, the A-Vtec engines are going to be VERY powerful. If honda is already pushing 120hp per liter NA, I'm sure this new technology could push that even higher on their next sports car. Maybe they'll make a new K20 that has 250+ Hp out of 2.0l
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bambbrose
Although I agree with you guys on the complexity issue, the A-Vtec engines are going to be VERY powerful. If honda is already pushing 120hp per liter NA, I'm sure this new technology could push that even higher on their next sports car. Maybe they'll make a new K20 that has 250+ Hp out of 2.0l
that would be sick.... I saw a new Civic si with intake and exhaust make 190whp...from only freaking Intake and Exhaust. The K20 is something...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bambbrose
I'm a lurker here reading up because I'm purchasing a lancer here soon, just doing my research...

anyway just wanted to correct you since I'm coming from an extensive honda background.

All forms of old Vtec (starting in 1989) from the NSX to the B16 to the S2000 have 3 cam profiles. It works exactly like the pre-04 MIVEC. The only exception is the civic Vtec-E (economy 1.5l) which is a two lobe system.

On the newer I-Vtec they use a 3 lobe system as well, but with variable cam timing as well on the intake cam gear(just like newer MIVEC, but MIVEC has in on the exhaust also right?). It seems that Mitsubishi is just following in hondas footsteps, about 3 years behind. But in reality Honda is following Ferrari.

There are a few exceptions of I-Vtec that use 2 cam profiles like the accord and other economy motors.

Honda is almost ready to put into production the A-Vtec, which uses a CONTINUOUSLY variable cam profile. So no more "hitting vtec", because vtec would be changing continuously. Ferrari already has this but from what I understand they use a sliding camshaft with a sloped cam profile so it slides down and the slope gets larger pushing the valve open more. Hondas new A-Vtec is a more effiicient system, that uses an intermediate rocker system so the machining and friction losses from a progressive sliding cam are avoided.

The intermediate rocker is number 10 in this photo, and it rotates as RPM increases, which makes it not a 2 or 3 cam lobe system, but an infinite cam lobe system.
Thanks for the info....never claimed to be a Honda expert.

You are right though....everyone is following each other, and it was all started with Ferrari, AKAIK.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 09:44 PM

CJ Lancer 12

Hi All. Just reading about the Mivec vs Vtec. Interesting read had mine for 8 years now in a mivec 2012 Lancer. Still very underpowered and an only mid range rpm engine for any kind of fun. .. But funny I'm reading a 14 year old posts about cars from 02 to 08. Looking for info on my 2012 car in 2022. Doesn't it feel strange yet relevant.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 09:47 PM

Oli price for fuel.

Originally Posted by Prefontaine
Hitting VTEC is the coolest thing about a honda..they take that away and it just a boring commuter...can't believe they'd do that...the future of the auto industry SUCKS...goodbye fun cars hello to bland. quiet, fuel efficient hybrid ****s...enjoy it now boys..the powerful fun etc car is on the way out i'm afraid..in 10/15 years we'll be driving little prius type ****s and what gas is left will be 11.00 a gal...some analysts say 2012 will be a oil crisis..damn it
well that didn't happen untill 2022 when it only reached $2.37 per litre.