Notices

Bad Clutch? Ignition coil?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Clutch? Ignition coil?

I have a Lab Black 2004 Ralliart, and I was waundering if anyone might know whats wrong with it. Sometimes when I shift it, the gears don't go in properly, unless I push the clutch in all the way (in every single gear) and it makes a weird scraping, whirling sound. I was waundering if anyone would know what it is. I had my dad drive it to get a second opinion, and he thinks it is the release bearing in the clutch. Any idea if that is the problem? Because I was going to go through RRM for the Stage 1 Clutch Kit, but no bother replacing it, if it's not the part causing the issue. Also, I was waundering if anyone out here knew if I had a problem with one of my ignition coils. Sometimes in cold weather, I give the car gas, and it either jumps really fast, slows down randomly, or sometimes stalls, even when its in neutral. Or is this another problem possibly related to the clutch?

Any help is much appreciated. I'm at my whitt's end with this car, and its kind of frustrating me Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2008, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

when you say the gears dont go in properly, do you mean it does this while you have the clutch "in all the way" or during normal shifting?

When it doesn't go in properly, does this mean it is physically harder to push in or just the scrapping sound occurs?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 07:17 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Check your clutch master and slave cylinders for leaks. If they're in good shape, adjust your clutch pedal out a bit.

As for the other problem, any CEL coming up with it?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 09:49 PM

meaning it is harder to shift unless i push the clutch all the way down, like all the way to the floor type down. it is a little harder to push down than it was when i bought the car, but i guess thats expected as the car ages. in regular shifting, i cant shift unless the clutch is all the way down.as for the spinning/whirling sound, it only does it when i push the clutch all the way down to shift, which in most cases, is starting to make the car stall >_<

otter, as for your reply, any idea where i should start looking for the clutch master and slave cylinders? or at least to check the fluids? as for that problem, i dont see any CEL's coming up. other than this problem, the car is fine. i just thought maybe the funny rpm's and the stalling was caused by the clutch. everything seems fine. its just kind of strange to me that the rpm's idle kind of funny sometimes. any problems with your RA doing this?

thanks a lot for the help here though. ill have these other things checked, and see what i come up with.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

your master cylinder is in the upper rightmost corner of your engine bay, right behind the fron driver side strut, nasty lil place to get to, you want to check for leaks around all the connectors on the hoses, have a friend push the clutch in to make sure the gasket isnt leaking, IIRC some other member on hear had his master cylinder leaking recently...

Also check the pedal itself, it's supposed to be like 8.2 inches from the floor board and the distance between the clutch pedal and the toe board when the clutch pedal is released is around 4.1 inches IIRC.
I remember those two because the dude at the dealership showed me the service manual when my clutch was acting up.

Also the clevis pin free play shouldn't be over .1 inches and the pedal itself shouldn't be over .25 inches for the free play.

Hope it helps man
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:49 AM

I did a pedal adjustment on my evo 4 gsr after that i have read the thread about how to adjust the clutch pedal from here, because i had some problem to get out of gears and the clutch pedal was very light and easy when you press it down.

After an adjust it was more resistance on it and i think that it was more easy to get into gears without any crunch or something.

Last couple of days i´ve been thinking to adjust it back just a little bit because i think that is was a little bit high on the engagment point.

But something weird happend today was drivning very easy with no boost then i did some pulls with boost was no problem and the car seemed like normal.

Then 1 hour later i was picking up my wife and was going home to relaxe i was drivning very light on the third gear maybe 50 km/h then i wanted to accelerate on more time before the baby should go into the garage, but when i start to accelerate and was hitting full boost i noticed that the car reved maybe 5-6000 rpm very quick but the car didnt move quick like the clutch was slipping, put my foot on the brake to 50 km/h again then tried to accelerate one more time, when i was hitting full boost the rev again raised quick but the car didnt responed like it used to be, cluch slipping again.

Drove it home to think about this problem, we have very varm weather today 86 fahrenheit if that have something to do with it.

But i was thinking if the engage point is to high on the clutch can it slip then when you hit full boost in very varm weather? or is my clutch dead?

Anyone think if i adjust back the engage point a little but that i will stop slipping?

I was thinking of doing it today, but this caught my mind instead now

Can the engage point **** up this? or should i buy a new clutch?

The car has worked nice last time i drove it before today one week ago, but then it wasnt nearly this varm weather.

Suggestions anyone before i order a new clutch..
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

I would say adjust your pedal out again just in case to see if it helps, if not you may need to get ready for a new clutch.

If you wanna see if the clutch is slipping for sure, you wanna be coasting around 15mph (24km/h) in neutral, then put it into 5th, and when you release the clutch, floor it. If your clutch is slipping the engine wont stall and will be able to rev up.

However I am not very sure how much/if at all the weather would affect this
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:24 AM
EvoM Administrator

Sounds like your clutch is dead. No matter where you adjust the clutch pedal, when the pedal is released, the clutch is fully engaged. Clutch pedal adjustment only affects disengagement.

Easy way to test is to get the car rolling at around 25-30 mph, put it in fifth gear, let out the clutch (basically, rolling in 5th gear at around 1000 rpm) then floor the gas pedal. The car should bog/stall. If it doesn't, and revs climb, the clutch is slipping.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

will adjusting the pedal make it grab closer to the floor?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
EvoM Administrator

Yes.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

oops sorry i found the diy in the evo forums
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:05 PM

Well so I took my Ralliart into the shop to have it looked at on Tuesday. They said they thought it was a leak in the slave clutch cylinder. I dropped it off this morning. They call me earlier today saying that my slave clutch cylinder was bad. Oh well. They only charged me $180 parts and labor fees. Runs fine now, but I guess when they installed the part, they readjusted my clutch, moving it closer to the floor. So now I have to take it back into them and have them readjust it, because now it's kind of a pain in the *** to shift, or get it into gear. Oh well. At least the main problem is fixed.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:48 AM

On my problem with slipping clutch, its not slipping anymore?

Can a clutch slip sometimes then work normal hey nexy day? and do so maybe for 2 weeks, then slip one or 2 more times, then when you floor it 5 minutes after the clutch dosent slip and the car can be like that for weeks, before it just slip one moer time 3 weeks later... strange..
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

are u letting the clutch slide often causing it to over heat?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

should have done the research here cause i had the same problem and fixed it with a more heavy duty one for 16$ soooo. i made a post about it here but out stock slaves tend to crap out im seeing here but i found the solution for that cause its on the housing that goes bad its the crappy mitsu gaskets in the stock ones.