Notices

Gears gridning on high revs from 1st to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2008, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gears gridning on high revs from 1st to 2nd

I've read here before that due to the movement of the engine in high revs its tougher to shift and I was wondering if that was a contributing factor to the two incidents I've had where I couldn't shift into second from first while doing flooring it in first, it just made that terrible noise and made me feel sick. I was probably dropping the clutch around 5,500rpm and then pulling down into second only to be denied that gear.

I'd let off for a few seconds and then put it into 2nd slowly.

This has also happened shifting from a neutral coast of around 45mph into 5th.

Is it a problem with my synchros or is it just the movement of the engine rocking from high revs?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how many miles are on the car? Is it your stock clutch? and do you have any other mods to the drivetrain including shifter setup?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im having a similar problem. My car don't exactly grind gears, but it seems that i have to push the shifter a little harder to put her in gear. No other problem. Think i probably just need tranny fluid? hadn't been changed in 2 years lol.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

It's only got 40k miles on it. I'm the second owner and the whole car has been kept in really great shape (the original owner worked at the Mitsu dealership and barely drove it since he lived right next to his work).

Its completely stock as well. I dont know if its an issue with the tranny fluid because its grinding when I try to put it in gear, which makes me think its a synchro or even a clutch issue. Regardless I'll check the tranny fluid.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

mine has been doin that as well. mostly on cold start ups. but my dad swapped the tranny oil with the wrong weight so i have to change it out, and i know my clutch is probably polished
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

i've been having that problem for about 3-4 months now as well, only in 3rd and 5th for me, changing tranny fluid didnt help, neither did a SS clutch line getting rid of that restrictor (the problem existed before and after mod) so I'm thinking my problem at least is in the synchros which isn't encouraging considering how much it is to fix.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

How much does it generally cost to replace the synchros?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car has been having the 2nd gear problem for a while. Just cruising around I have a hard time getting it into 2nd for an upshift or a rev-matched down shift. Sometimes when I choose to do a 2nd gear start I can't even get it into second without pumping the clutch and wiggling the shifter around. This is a known problem, and mystery for the RA's.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Dammit. Its embarrassing when trying to show off to friends and ending up looking like you don't know how to drive your own car.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so you say the tranny fluid didnt fix the problem???

my problem isn't a grinding problem. I just have to sorta "force" it in gear. push alot harder than i should have to. tranny/clutch feels fine other than that problem. and it only happens when i FIRST start the car up and go, and when i been driving it for at least an hour or so. Beetween that time period it feels fine. I guess after it gets to hot i have to push it harder into gear.... what is that problem? and will tranny fluid fix that???

what kinda tranny fluid, i heard 75W-90 or 75W-85 (which is better
AND i heard get GL4 NOT GL5. correct???

thanks for the help
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:04 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

Im running a mix of Pennzoil synchromesh and Royal Purple 75w-90* (I dont remember the exact weight of the RP). It was posted in the forums a while back (search for tranny oil) and I think the mix was 50/50.

As for the behavior, from the first moment I put it in gear the car felt a lot better than with the stock fluid, although i can tell when it's still cold because the shifts arent as buttery smooth as when up to operating temp.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart_on_LSD
what kinda tranny fluid, i heard 75W-90 or 75W-85 (which is better
AND i heard get GL4 NOT GL5. correct???
According to the service manual the appropriate lubricant is, and i quote "Gear oil API classification GL-4 SAE 75W-85W or 75W-90"

and no, it didn't "fix" the problem, it helped a little bit, and by that I mean it wouldn't take as much force to put it in gear, but the problem still remains.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:18 AM

LOL Its weird that I just happen to have this exact issue with my RA and starting thinking to myself I wonder if anyone else is. And I look and see a ton of us are having that exact problem. I was just gonna swap the clutch out and check the trans while it was out just because the car has 52K. But one thing I did do in my other car was Zip Tie the shifter cables together and that fixed the issue just as an FYI. I will try that before I ****** the trans out see if that help and i will keep you guys posted.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome, thanks man. If it ends up helping I'll definitely give it a shot.

Could you take a few pics as you do it for a photo tutorial in the case that it does help?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:50 AM

Most definetly

Quick Reply: Gears gridning on high revs from 1st to 2nd