Notices

New brakes/rotors still feeling a little odd

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New brakes/rotors still feeling a little odd

Last last weekend I installed my new rotors/pads from R1 Concepts and immediately bedded them in after I installed them according to the directions I found here: http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1184261899

It's been about 250-300 miles on the new brakes and they still don't feel like they're biting very well. It feels like I have to apply more brake pressure than necessary for them to bring me to a slow stop, its sort of scary sometimes.

I was wondering if it had anything to do with the amount of brake fluid (I had to take some out while I was replacing the pads on the rears because the puck was pushing the fluid out of the brakes and the reservoir was almost overflowing), or maybe its the fact that I've just got the stock rubber brake lines that flex and probably don't provide the best stopping power.

Anyway they look great and all the squeaking is finally gone (the dreaded reverse brake squeal Ive always hated is completely gone) and I'm happy with them, its just they don't feel like they're stopping my car as well as they should be.

Here's a pic (I've got to wash my wheels now, I know):
Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:46 PM

did you bleed your lines?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

No, I didn't find it necessary as I didn't remove any of the calipers from the brake lines themselves.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would check your fluid. If its over the max mark, suck some of it out. I would probably bleed the brakes if your still having this problem. I would also check to see the pads are placed in correctly and there is little to no play in the seating area.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

i donno if its just me, but from the picture it almost looks like as if the pads dont touch the disc evenly.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

That might be it? If it is the problem how would I fix it? Use a flathead to get to the inside of the caliper and push the pad down/up?

Would I need to re-bed the brakes if I adjust the position of the pads?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

I took some better pictures with a real camera (not my phone) of my rotors this morning when I got home from class:
Left (driver's side) rotor:

Right side rotor:
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

It looks to me like you didnt lube anything up, did you clean you slide and relube them, if you opened anything up other then the master cylinder to let fluid out you have to bleed it.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

what kind of rotors and pads?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by lucky04
It looks to me like you didnt lube anything up, did you clean you slide and relube them, if you opened anything up other then the master cylinder to let fluid out you have to bleed it.
So if you take off the calipers just to put in new rotors you have to bleed the lines? Is that really necessary if he didnt unscrew the brake lines from the caliper?

Also what would you recommend for the slide lube?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

if you just take off your calipers but not the lines and leave everything connected, you shouldn' t need to bleed your lines.

If theres air in your system your pedal might feel spongy. If the pads weren't bedded properly you'd feel a vibration like steering wheel shake or the abs activating.

from the description it sounds more like somethings going on with either the rotor surface or something with the brake pad.

Do you have your old pads? Did they bite? Put them back in and try stopping and see if it improves.

Does the bite improve after you've put heat into the pads?

As for lube, its really just to quiet the pads to keep them from squealing.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

From the link you posted.

"Alert:

Bed in is not a one-time thing. "

You may need to get them hotter than you did the first time.

What pads did you install? Were you very careful to remove all of the protective coating from the rotors before the install?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:09 PM
Former Sponsor

What pads are they?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

They are Prostop ceramic brake pads. When I brake there isn't any shimmying or shuddering (this happened before I changed my rotors and brakes, it was the reason why I changed them in the first place, the previous owner didn't bed in the brakes properly and warped the discs).

I lubed the backs of the pads on all four points and I made sure everything was prepped correctly before installing.

Honestly its starting to feel slightly better, but that may either be me getting used to the new brakes or the ceramic pads finally starting to wear in.

Would it do any harm if I tried bedding them in once again? It feels like it has slightly more bite bit still not as much as the old pads/rotors did.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

you can absolutely rebed the pads. Just be sure to let your brakes/rotors cool completely between attempts.

I would bet you a dollar its your brake pads.

Try to go back to the stock pads or borrow more aggressive pads from someone and see if the stopping power improves.

Quick Reply: New brakes/rotors still feeling a little odd