Notices

Reverse lights not working help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse lights not working help!

I'm stumped. I have an 04 ralliart that doesn't seem to want anyone to know I'm backing up. Fuses good, lights good. No power getting to the lights. I'm not sure where to look for the problem. I haven't been able to locate the reverse switch so that may be the problem. Has anyone ran accross a similar issues? No recent changes or electrical mods...
Old Jan 4, 2009, 03:06 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The switch likely failed. It's located on the transmission housing, likely on the top somewhere.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:36 PM

Right on. I'll tear it apart tomorrow and see if I can find it. Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:35 PM

Depends on if your RA is an automatic or manual trans. In the auto, it's part of the trans range switch. You'll see a black "box" on top of your transaxle, right under the air box. You'll know it's the right one if it has a lever that comes out of it with a cable that attaches to it. It will have a 10-pin connector plugged into it....
On a manual trans, it will be a separate switch with a 2-pin connector.... In both cases, you're looking for a brown wire that is the circuit that powers the reverse lights.... If there is power at the brown wire when the gear selector is in 'reverse', the switch is good. If that's the case, there is a joint connector that's underneath the dash above the fuse box that you might want to look at. At that connector, the brown wire splits into 2 circuits, one to each of the left and right side reverse lights. PM me if you'd like more info.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hm... i wonter if the RA runs on ball switches for the reverse switch. The company I used to work for made them for ford, gm, etc and well to be honest they fail all the time. But I've never heard of mitsu's having that problem. Sure you don't have a pinched wire anywhere?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies. The switch went bad and it has been replaced and the lights work again. The only other issue now is fifth gear seems a little tight.