Notices

Magnaflow Catback Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009 | 03:46 PM
Hail to the Beard

I definately will. I have searched everywhere for sound clips and I cant find any (the catback, not just the muffler) I dont know if it will make any difference in sound, but from what I've been told, it should make a bigger difference in hp!
Old Jan 30, 2009 | 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I can tell you from first hand personal experience the only difference between a cat back system for an ES/OZ and a Ralliart is about 2" on the straight section (mid pipe where the resonator is) and the lack of a second o2 bung.

I have a cat back system that was made for the 02-03 Lancer and all I had to do was remove 2" (roughly) of pipe and add a second o2 bung. The bends are all identical and so are the hangers. If you can't weld, then obviously you need to bring it to a shop, but if you own a welder its a super simple project.
Old Jan 30, 2009 | 04:06 PM
Hail to the Beard

Originally Posted by Fifty
I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I can tell you from first hand personal experience the only difference between a cat back system for an ES/OZ and a Ralliart is about 2" on the straight section (mid pipe where the resonator is) and the lack of a second o2 bung.

I have a cat back system that was made for the 02-03 Lancer and all I had to do was remove 2" (roughly) of pipe and add a second o2 bung. The bends are all identical and so are the hangers. If you can't weld, then obviously you need to bring it to a shop, but if you own a welder its a super simple project.
no man I cannot weld, but I'm not going to do install the RRM Magnaflow Catback! I'm gonna take it to an exhaust shop and watch them do it. This way I can take notes and learn

In fact, haha I'm a little embarrassed bc I dont know much about cars, or my RA for that matter, but I am learning alot from being a member in the forum and spending an hour or so on here daily
Old Feb 1, 2009 | 11:16 PM
Hail to the Beard

the anticipation is killllling me!
Old Feb 2, 2009 | 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

It's cool parrishr but yes the anticipation does suck... I got my RRM catback and at first it was like blazing loud but then after a few weeks I noticed that it got a little quieter... I dont know if that was supposed to happen but it sounds real nice now. Just be careful with your law enforcement though because for some reason I got pulled over because I had a "modified exhaust"
Old Feb 2, 2009 | 07:29 AM
Hail to the Beard

what did you do after? have you been pulled over since?
Old Feb 2, 2009 | 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Uhmm it was only 2 days ago on Jan 31st and no I haven't been pulled over since. It was the first time since like November when I put it in. He let me off with a warning though. I think he was looking for a ticket and was looking for a reason to pull me over. Because he agreed with me saying it wasn't loud it's just that I modified my exhaust from stock.
Old Feb 2, 2009 | 07:39 AM
Hail to the Beard

hmmm. as far as I know modified exhaust isn't iilegal down here in tx. atleast from what I see on the streets!
Old Feb 2, 2009 | 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

I see because he told me it was illegal to modify the exhaust... but then I was thinking to myself... then why would there be a public market for aftermarket parts? O well come spring time I'll have the RRM header and downpipe with the Highflow Cat so it'll probably be slightly louder. I heard though that the loud exhaust ticket is $100...
Old Feb 2, 2009 | 07:59 AM
Hail to the Beard

yea I've heard of getting tickets for loud exhaust, apparently I have some friends who love their trucks and cut off the exhaust underneath, but they haven't gotten any tickets yet. I dont know how, but I'm hoping now I dont get pulled over because of it!
Old Feb 2, 2009 | 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Cops tend to target our cars moreso than trucks... Mostly because well, a truck can be super loud but normally isn't going fast. Its more of a stereo type imo..

Also just a heads up, you might want to throw some exhaust putty around the axel back connection as its only a clamp on fittings whereas in the photo back when i bought the setup it showed a flanged connection. The clamp style ones leak sometimes because you can never fully clamp a round pipe 100%.

Lastly you might want to invest in some Kartboy exhaust hangers as the rrm one bounced around a bit for me, luckily it didn't hit anything under there but the stock exhaust hangers are a joke.

Good luck with the install, you may or may not have problems getting the bolts free from the downpipe to midpipe section, I had to bring mines to a shop to get cut off, luckily I know the guys otherwise they were gonna change me 40$ just to cut off a couple of bolts. Remember when you cut off the bolts you have to go buy new hardware.

O btw, I'm selling my rrm catback and downpipe.. But I wouldn't have the car back to rip the parts off for a while since i'm rebuilding the tranny.
Old Feb 2, 2009 | 09:32 AM
Hail to the Beard

thanks the advice, however, I'm not going to be doing the install. I dont know a damn thing about exhaust or where to even begin the install, therefore I'm going to take it to the performance shop down the street - they deal w/performance exhaust systems and everything else along those lines. its not a run down - tin can fart exhaust shop. I've got an appointment already set up for my install, and whats even better is that this isn't the first RRM Magnaflow Catback they have installed on a RA!
Old Feb 4, 2009 | 02:07 PM
Hail to the Beard

well, it's going to be a little bit longer until I get my exhaust! I ordered black tail lights as well when I ordered the catback, and on the site it had them available, but I emailed RRM asking for the tracking number bc I have yet to recieve the package, and he regretted to inform me that the black taillights are on freaking backorder! man i was pissed, but I'm sure this is worth the wait!
Old Feb 4, 2009 | 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Why won't RRM just ship the exhaust separately and the tails later? BTW how long did they say til they'd have them? Im planning on getting the tails as well.
Old Feb 4, 2009 | 03:35 PM
Hail to the Beard

I just recieved an email from Brian at RRM and he said I should recieve everything by friday so I have my fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Catback Exhaust Question