Notices

If there WERE a reflash available...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there WERE a reflash available...

This is just a question before I purchase some high end hardware in order to do proper analysis of the 2.4l ralliart ECU... I currently have a proof of concept. I have seen a rev limiter successfully reduced to 6000 then 5000 RPM so I know this can work...

If there were a reflash available for an NA ralliart for $700USD - about 15hp gained, and I can change your rev limiter to whatever you desire.

If there were a reflash for the turbo vehicles so they can work with RC550cc injectors (that's what our test car has) without any lonterm fuel, limp mode, check engine, etc type problems for $760USD

How many people would actually remove their ECU and send it out for that sort of upgrade?

Just to be clear, I'm certain it can be done. I'm not selling anything at this time. I just need to know if it's worthwhile for me to do something.

Please let me know by replying or via PM. Even if you think it's too pricey.

thanks

-Michael
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:50 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Not for that price, not a chance.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Otter consider this how much do you pay for a good piggyback??? 400-700USD and not all base maps are good for your area.

look at what I had to do with the RRM/SS unit I had. Paid close to 600CDN to have it shipped and brokerage and conversion....you get the idea. Hooked up a wide band and found it was a bit rich...had to get it re-tuned for my climate and elevation.....to be honest I dont know that the total bill was but if i were to guess it was close to 850CDN including install....some of us cant do the install....
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:13 PM
EvoM Administrator

Paid $300 for my piggyback. $250 for wideband (which you'd need with a flash, anyways) tuned by myself.

Also, considering that the price to flash other cars is a helluva lot lower than $700, again, not a chance.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

The reflash isn't going to be for everyone. At the prices posted above I'm not even sure if I can break even if I sell 20 of them. The ECU in this car is not the easiest thing in the world to crack. Maybe that explains why nobody has cracked it yet.

Keep the comments coming. Let me know what you think.

-Michael
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
Paid $300 for my piggyback. $250 for wideband (which you'd need with a flash, anyways) tuned by myself.

Also, considering that the price to flash other cars is a helluva lot lower than $700, again, not a chance.
Plus it's fun-er and more.... personal (correct word to use here?) with your car if you tune it yourself
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

I think the only way I can offer this thing is a pre-tuned map. Which means no you won't need a wideband. Since the system is MAF based it is reasonably good for adapting to an NA vehicle.

With the turbo vehicle it would need exactly the type of injectors and exactly the same MAF as a tested system. So for those who have a turbo setup that's been blowing up engines or those with a setup of piggybacks and extra injectors that never did work properly this could be your only option.

The scheme necessary to perform a reflash is simply too difficult to be able to offer a self-tuner solution.

-Michael
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Canada_Comp
Plus it's fun-er and more.... personal (correct word to use here?) with your car if you tune it yourself
Yep, I too prefer it this way. In the last 10 years I've tuned well over 100 vehicles. Many were tuned by the owner or their friends. I have only once ever seen what I consider to be a good tune and that was a turbo SBC 400ci putting down more than 1000hp. I'm picky and unless it's running perfectly I'm not happy.

For the cost here if you find someone willing to work for a year for free in a well equipped electronics lab then you probably could get a cheaper reflash.

-Michael
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

If the price were a bit lower I'd probably do it, already spent $430 on piggy, even if i sold it, that's still a dang expensive flash.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately as I've found the trouble is that no piggyback will work properly with this ECU. I've now seen a number of different piggybacks and all are suffering with fuel trim and check engine problems.

What is the reflash worth?

-Michael
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:15 AM
EvoM Administrator

Pretuned maps don't work. On top of that, I have to run two maps, because the differences in temp/humidity changes so drastically where I live.

Personally, I would prefer that any ECU flashibility that people figure out be open source. If someone was dead set on trying to make a profit, then I would expect it to fall in line with prices from other vendors who flash cars ($100-$200)

Last edited by otter; Jan 31, 2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretuned maps don't work. On top of that, I have to run two maps, because the differences in temp/humidity changes so drastically where I live.

Personally, I would prefer that any ECU flashibility that people figure out be open source. If someone was dead set on trying to make a profit, then I would expect it to fall in line with prices from other vendors who flash cars ($100-$200)
100-200 per flash??? Ok maybe I am a bit naive here but could you point me in the direction of a company that will do a flash for that amount? Most I have found are in the 500 range.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OttRalliart05
100-200 per flash??? Ok maybe I am a bit naive here but could you point me in the direction of a company that will do a flash for that amount? Most I have found are in the 500 range.
IIRC, most Hondas can be resocketed and flashed for around the $200 range. But that is an economy of scale issue.
Evo VIII's flashed by Vishnu are in the $400 range. IX's are in the $700 range. That's all I looked up.
{now a little OT rant} The problem is Mitsu having a platform like the 04-06 Ralliart and dropping the ball big time. Very little factory support = even smaller aftermarket support. Now Mitsu gave us the 2009 and up models that IMHO, are disappointing for a variety of reasons.{/rant}

Personally, I would go the piggyback route if I ever went back to upgrading my Ralliart. As it sits now, my focus is elsewhere and the Ralliart is a DD.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

This has been done before, im from P.R. and a guy here reflash ours ecu's but he die in a car accident. Its sad but RA after 7000rpm dont produce any power unless you change the cam. So i dont think its worth it and for $700 dont think so.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:26 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by OttRalliart05
Off the top of my head, both Works and Dynoflash do basic mail-in flashes for $200 or less.