Notices

P0420 cel

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the RRM eliminator but if you're saying that could be the issue i'll try the anti-fouler method... to do that i take 2 anti-foulers, and drill out the one thats connecting to the o2 sensor right not drill out the one that connects to my midpipe? then connect them together
Old May 10, 2009, 10:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Raikiri
I have the RRM eliminator but if you're saying that could be the issue i'll try the anti-fouler method... to do that i take 2 anti-foulers, and drill out the one thats connecting to the o2 sensor right not drill out the one that connects to my midpipe? then connect them together
Correct
Old May 10, 2009, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome well I found this link if anyone else would like this information

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...cel-light.html
Old May 15, 2009, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

sadly... im still getting the code... im out of ideas...

im just getting worried cause i have to go in for emissions inspecting in like the next month and this code pops in like after 100 miles or so after i keep erasing it.....

question... i have the actron cp9125 code reader and it does only the basic functions like read code and erase... would i pass inspection if i erased the code right as i pulled up to the testing station? cause like i said the code doesnt come on for like 80-100 miles after clearing

Last edited by Raikiri; May 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Can anyone help me on this? Someone has to have an answer
Old May 17, 2009, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Another question I have is... Can I add a third antifouler to see if it works and not throw the code? I guess 2 antifoulers isn't enough for me to not throw this code...
Old May 17, 2009, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand how annoying this is to be erasing the code, but if you're concerned about passing emissions, you may just want to return exhaust to stock before you take it in, and change it back when you're done.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

crap...yeah thats not a good option cause for one... stock exhaust system is gone... and its going to cost me money to get the header/dp reinstalled and then back again since i cant do install myself

see i would install it myself but the last time i tried i destroyed my engine... not doing that again....

I'm sorry im probably not being clear with my story... I dont have the light YET... not until like 100 or so miles... but I do have the code that says its pending... with the light off and a pending code... would i pass emissions is my questions with all the cars monitors ready

Last edited by Raikiri; May 17, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well I just came back from the testing facility and apparently you can pass with a pending code... the guy just checked to see if my light was on and went to see if all my monitors were ready and let me go... took all of 30 seconds literally

funny thing is as soon as I pulled out of the testing station my CEL went off haha... I find it funny also cause the whole time on the way to the station I was praying to God to at least keep the light off til after the test was over
Old May 18, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

nice, now work on keeping the code from coming back!
Old May 18, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeyj
nice, now work on keeping the code from coming back!
for that part.... i have no clue... i already did the supposedly unbeatable anti-fouler method and yeah didnt work too well...
Old May 19, 2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Raikiri
Well I just came back from the testing facility and apparently you can pass with a pending code... the guy just checked to see if my light was on and went to see if all my monitors were ready and let me go... took all of 30 seconds literally

funny thing is as soon as I pulled out of the testing station my CEL went off haha... I find it funny also cause the whole time on the way to the station I was praying to God to at least keep the light off til after the test was over
You're lucky. I'm surprised you passed. Laws are a bit different here in MA. If you were to reset the code and then hook it up to a scanner you'd get a 'not ready state' code, which means that the car hasn't run enough to get an average reading on the o2 sensors and emissions. We fail if it's not ready here. Once it's in a ready state (when your light comes on after about 100 miles) the CEL is on and we fail too. Have you checked the voltage on your two o2 sensors? I think one is fouled in my IS300 and the voltage on the first 02 is high and the second one barely even reads - fluctuates just over 0.05 mV and back to 0.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adamsheehy
You're lucky. I'm surprised you passed. Laws are a bit different here in MA. If you were to reset the code and then hook it up to a scanner you'd get a 'not ready state' code, which means that the car hasn't run enough to get an average reading on the o2 sensors and emissions. We fail if it's not ready here. Once it's in a ready state (when your light comes on after about 100 miles) the CEL is on and we fail too. Have you checked the voltage on your two o2 sensors? I think one is fouled in my IS300 and the voltage on the first 02 is high and the second one barely even reads - fluctuates just over 0.05 mV and back to 0.
I hooked the car up to the code reader and i deleted the code like... the night before so i had enough time to get all my monitors to the ready mode... as soon as i saw they were all ready and no codes were present i just rushed over to the testing facility hoping i'd stay clean
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Best way to remove the code is to buy the weapon R cel elminator I know it's weapon R.. lol
I haven't seen a P0420 code since.

Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

I'm about to try this with but I got a CEL with a stock cat and now with my Perrin HFC. The HFC was installed some time in April and I didn't get the code until late June. I mostly drive the car on weekends though so maybe it would have come up sooner if it was my dd. I emailed Perrin about my code and they quickly replied back the same evening that they will be sending me out a spacer. Here is the explanation that I found helpful:

The spacer is the easiest way around the CEL, unless you get an AccessPORT on your car, since with that you can program the ECU to not throw that P0420 code ever.
There isn't a problem with the O2 sensor, and besides, the O2 sensor is very expensive. It just spaces the O2 sensor from the stream of exhaust, and that will cause the sensor to not throw that CEL code.

Quick Reply: P0420 cel