Notices

Tien S-Tech Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tien S-Tech Lowering Springs

Just bought a set of Tien S-Tech Springs for the RA.
Ive heard from some people that putting lowering on springs on OEM struts promote premature failure. Basically make them blow out faster. Is this true?

Who has them on their car, and how do you like them?
Install
Mileage
Handling
Pros & Cons
Review

Pics would be cool cool too!!!
Thank you!!!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In my experience, anything that you add to the car to help it handle better will promote failure of other suspension parts that are stock and less up to the task. One of the first things I added to my Lancer, years back, was a rear swaybar with autocross perches. Within a few months, one of my back shocks was blown. Not because of the swaybar directly, but because the increased handling encouraged me to take corners at higher speeds. It's a bit like how a good tune on a car's engine can increase fuel mileage, but most likely won't because you'll be seduced into taking advantage of the newly found engine response, burning up whatever mileage you gained.

I went through the same question of aftermarket springs with stock shocks a few years ago as well. I wanted to do it once and be done with it, and I wasn't happy with getting different brand springs and shocks, because I figured they wouldn't be matched that way. After speaking with Rob of Road Race, and some other people on this site, I went with the Tein Driving Master basic coilovers (similar to Tein Super Streets, but height adjustable only) instead of the S-Techs. They're basically the same thing as Super Streets would be set up between hard and soft. On rough roads, the ride can be a bit rough, but the car corners like a go kart. In hindsight, I would've just spend the extra $200 for the Super Streets, but these are still good, and durable. I've had them on for about 30,000 miles and no problems.

I know this doesn't have to do with the S-Techs directly, but thought I should share since I went through a similar decision. I've heard that if the S-Tech springs are not correctly installed, the rears may move around and make a little noise around corners. Another thing about aftermarket springs to consider is the age of your shocks. It they're high on miles (90-100k), they may be getting close to needing replacement anyway. When I did the math, it cost almost the same to change the springs, and hypothetically the shocks soon after, as it would to get coilovers. Here's a pic of my car. The S-Techs don't go this low, and they may (someone please confirm) not level the front and rear out like you could with coilovers.

Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks i appreciate your feedback. I got the springs for $200 and the SS Tein coilovers are like 1200 from RRM. I thought this would hold me over for a little while.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

I have had them on my ralliart for about 20,000 kms. Handling is quite improved. The only con is having to be careful about where i drive, and the ride is a bit more stiff, (but i like it). Install wasn't too bad. I did it myself and it took about 3 hours. 8/10 from me. I would also like to add that the s techs will lower your car and make it even. It drops the front about 1.5" and the rears only .5"

Last edited by zebra4; Jul 31, 2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zebra4
I have had them on my ralliart for about 20,000 kms. Handling is quite improved. The only con is having to be careful about where i drive, and the ride is a bit more stiff, (but i like it). Install wasn't too bad. I did it myself and it took about 3 hours. 8/10 from me. I would also like to add that the s techs will lower your car and make it even. It drops the front about 1.5" and the rears only .5"
One thing im a little worried about is that the struts have 65k on them, is this a little too much to be adding performance springs to? I am excited to have some handling on the way! Also looking forward to the install!

Thanks everyone!! Any more Pics on a Black RA maybe?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:27 AM
rrd
Evolving Member

my car has 74k, i just put s-tech's on 2 weeks ago, no problems so far
i figure whatever, if the struts go bad then ill replace them
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:43 AM

I had them for more than a year no problems , ofcourse it will wear the struts out eventually for now enjoy the ride.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have them on mine. I just installed the fronts though. The rear couldn't handle any more of a drop.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

ive had them on my ra for about 8 months now, and on stock struts, and its been riding well, the ride is noticeably stiffer, but still a great ride, i love em, i will be replacing the struts eventually just cause i want to imrove the handling alot more, but all in all, u get the bang for ur buck with the S-Tech Springs.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

i have the tien basic coilovers on my RA dude just spend a bit more cash you wont regret it at all
Old Aug 6, 2010, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

I put mine on and my car had 100,000 kms on it. No problems.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

My car had 165, 000km's before I put them on.

Ride is stiffer as expected, but I also find it bouncy at times, this could be due to my shocks being on their last legs. The stance and handling outweigh the stiffness, which isn't even that bad
Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Installed!! Awesome!!! Wow the ride is stiffer but the handling is awesome!!! No roll at all cornering is awesome very impressed and happy with it!! Looks awesome too!!!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had them 12000 km, both rear struts blew up, sold them and put back to stock, few bucks later I bought BC racing inverted coilovers and they rock since then..

The ride is smoother, I can put 225 rubber easily with my camber setting.