Notices

Cigarette lighter

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cigarette lighter

So as some of you know, I recently got a gold and black 2004 RA and am a pretty big noob. I found out today that the cigarette lighter doesn't work. When you push it in, it doesn't stick in, it just pops out again.

I'm not sure if it needs to be powered for it to stick in, or if it should depress even when not powered. So my questions are...

1. Could this be fuse related, and if so, what fuse do I check in the fusebox and how would i know if it's blown?
2. Does the lighter stay depressed if it has no power, just not get hot? (like if the car is off)
3. Do i need to change anything for it to be a regular power adapter, or just remove the lighter and plug in something else?

Thanks for all the help so far...i'm basically just trying to get it all fixed up bit by bit...I just posted another thread about the trunk too...
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

have you put an accessory in the lighter socket? Phone charger or something to see if it's just not a bad lighter and the socket is good.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:46 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It could just be unplugged on the eletrical underside.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 05:41 PM

if the car is off, when you push the lighter in, it will not stick! try hooking a cell phone or something up to it while the key is turned to see if it works. it maybe unplugged like lanzerralliart said.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 05:56 PM

Maybe it's a sign...?

I have the same problem you do, my cigarette lighter doesn't stick but the 12V socket powers electronics just fine, so in theory you'd probably need a new cigarette lighter. I haven't needed to buy one as I quit smoking recently but you should be able to pick one up at Autozone or something.

Last edited by Kroelav; Oct 2, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

I actually don't smoke so I don't mind....but i was hoping my car charger would work. I'll have to try it tomorrow.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

I wonder if its just an issue with them? I own a 2006, and mine worked for a month then wouldn't stick. BUT it still sends a current, accessories still work and so does the lighter. For the lighter you just have to hold it in for like 15 secs or whatever till its hot enough.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

was this ever figured out? I actually have the same problem, i get absolutely no power to my cig lighter, so I can't charge anything either. At first I thought it was the fuse, so I replaced it, but from what I remember, it did work, but then it stopped working again. The fuse looks like it blows, but I don't know why. Could there be another problem?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:56 AM

You could be shorting it, check the wires underneath the console, it pops right open. There should be 3 sets of wires leading into the socket, one is the bulb, one is the power and the other is the ground. Make sure the latter two are connected and there aren't any exposed wires that could be touching.

Lift around edge indicated by the red arrow.

Last edited by Kroelav; Oct 5, 2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

hmm, I will try that when I can! thanks Kroelav! I'll probably ask you more questions once I attempt this, haha
Old Oct 4, 2010, 07:51 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's really tight under there until you unhook the wire connection . Bring a flashlight, so you can see where to unhook it. Check fuse first, it could save alot of time.... Maybe.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:07 PM

Disclaimer. Should your car burn to the ground it is not my fault.

So I went to the car to switch out my cigarette lighter bulb and decided to see if I could find out what else it could be. Turns out that it was simply wear and tear on the inside prongs that hold the cigarette lighter. Solution? Pull them both out towards the middle. Prong number 1 holds your lighter in place, prong number 2 holds the end to be heated. Be careful not to pull prong 2 out too much or else you'll end up over heating your lighter because it won't let go. This should work for anyone who has problems getting their electronics to work out of the socket as sometimes they get bent back so far that they don't make contact, which brings me to my final point. Make sure your car is off before you do any of this.

Last edited by Kroelav; Oct 5, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

oh that could be a possibility too. I shall try this when I get home from work! I am excited, to maybe finally have power to my cigarette lighter thingy
Old Oct 9, 2010, 03:27 PM

x2 hell yes i can charge my phone whoop dee do....total savior bro thanks kro-lav!!!
Old Oct 9, 2010, 03:38 PM

Ho fasho.