Notices

Crappy Gas Milage?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crappy Gas Milage?!

So I went from a 02 Lancer ES and just purchased a 05 Ralliart (Which I love!!) but I noticed I get crappy gas mileage, is this normal or am I just exagerating from going to a slightly bigger engine which uses more....i think. Also from reading the forums I seem to notice that the lancers all kind of have a similar problem with the fuel injectors?! I dont know much about cars but I am having to learn very quickly with this one. Any advice would be very appreciative.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:48 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
What do you consider "crappy", how do you drive, what climate are you in, etc?

Ralliarts generally get somewhere between 22-30 mpg. 30 mpg isn't common, I only get that high with tons of highway driving in mild weather. City driving in the winter tends to get me closer to the 23-24 mpg mark.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Leaning out your air/fuel ration will help. This can be done with a cold air intake. As for just general fuel consumption, this car is simply not the best on gas. Especially when you're in Mivec range. I love it nontheless. Feel free to PM with any questions you may have on the RA.

Basic things like O2 sensors, dirty filter, old oil can most certainly harm your mileage. How many miles are on your RA?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:52 PM

Well I live out in the dessert, we have a ton of stop and go traffic (its a little town so we have a ton of pointless stop signs.) Our climate is like 50ish during the winter so not too cold but I just got the car last month. And my driving is uhh well I kinda have a heavy foot, lol. I know that is deffienitly a factor but I dont think it would make my gas milage that bad. I would have to estimate about 150ish on a tank of gas in town though but i dunno it just seems really low.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:57 PM

what do you mean by the 02 sensors? also my car has like 100k miles on it so that could also be playing a part. oh yes and before i forget, is the muffler really supoosed to sound that loud? My husband thinks i might have a leak but not sure, i was just curious on that note.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:51 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As for o2 sensors , here....http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question257.htm

and with 100k there's a good possibility that they need to be replaced... Check the air filter , spark plugs, an if you have an exhaust leak that could harm your gas mileage....
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:14 PM

sweet okay just need to find out where the 02 sensors would be placed at, I already replaced the spark plugs like 2-3 weeks ago, i think they had some crappy no name brand so i bought some ngk spark plugs, i think my air filter is brand new, or i'll just splurge and buy a k&n filter. im sure that will help :P
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Unless it's performance based, your new filter will do you just fine.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:51 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by housewife
Well I live out in the dessert, we have a ton of stop and go traffic (its a little town so we have a ton of pointless stop signs.) Our climate is like 50ish during the winter so not too cold but I just got the car last month. And my driving is uhh well I kinda have a heavy foot, lol. I know that is deffienitly a factor but I dont think it would make my gas milage that bad. I would have to estimate about 150ish on a tank of gas in town though but i dunno it just seems really low.
Figure out what your actual gas mileage is and keep track of it for awhile.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:03 PM

Already signed up for the fuelly site!! I hope that helps, the 22mpg in the city for my car kinda seems about right. I have a feeling I prolly get like 18 though just cuz mine has like 100k miles on my car None the less ty !!!!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

drive a mustang and spend 60 dollars to fill it up every 4 days then compalin about gas mileage
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

i spend 30 bucks every friday to fill it , and that lasts me till the following friday, and i drive like a douch sometimes lol
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NJRalliart
drive a mustang and spend 60 dollars to fill it up every 4 days then compalin about gas mileage
man, i definitely cant complain about my mileage then. i went from a 2000 dodge ram 1500 sport with the 5.9L v8.... i went through about $90-100 EVERY 2 DAYS in that thing, to my ralliart
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
congrats on the new car and welcome to the forums =]

if you're really only getting 150ish miles per tank that does seem pretty low. i'd say we normally get anywhere from 275-325 miles per tank. ranges depending on the factors otter listed above.

when was the last time the car got a full service tuneup?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:57 PM

to be honest i have no idea, i know the belts are in good condition except for the timing belt i need to check that. and the tranny and other fluids are good (I got those checked) I am prolly due for an oil change. im keeping track of how much miles i get to the gallon so hopefully it will be better than what i expected.

Quick Reply: Crappy Gas Milage?!