Notices

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problem

I have a 2004 Ralliart and it doesnt seem to want to start (or do anything for that matter) I replaced the battery and altenator. It will turn over if I jumpstart it, but wont hold a charge and once I turn it off after that, good luck getting it to start again. The battery light is on and I had the voltage checked and was told that the altenator is good and is generating voltage, the battery itself is good (pulled it out of the car to have it tested separately) I heard a clicking sound months ago coming from the car and was told its a sign the starter relay is going bad. When it used to start, sometimes I would get a small amount of smoke coming out of the steering column, it would stop coming out but will still start normally. Anybody out there see this problem before?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks...
Old Dec 25, 2010, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kemikal4402
I have a 2004 Ralliart and it doesnt seem to want to start (or do anything for that matter) I replaced the battery and altenator. It will turn over if I jumpstart it, but wont hold a charge and once I turn it off after that, good luck getting it to start again. The battery light is on and I had the voltage checked and was told that the altenator is good and is generating voltage, the battery itself is good (pulled it out of the car to have it tested separately) I heard a clicking sound months ago coming from the car and was told its a sign the starter relay is going bad. When it used to start, sometimes I would get a small amount of smoke coming out of the steering column, it would stop coming out but will still start normally. Anybody out there see this problem before?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks...
so the batt and alternator are good?....did you try taping the stater to see if its just a bad contact on the inside? or maybe the starter relay you mentioned? check to make sure the plugs arnt fouled? did you check anything else?
-Flip
Old Dec 25, 2010, 05:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See if you have a short in the system. Replace your battery connectors as well.