Notices

A New Sound.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011 | 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

A New Sound.

I just recently started hearing this. It happens between 1500-2500 RPMs only. I definitely hear it between those RPMs when in first or second. Not sure about 3rd-5th tho as the wind drowns out the noise. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzWSfwn2lkY

If you can't hear it I can take a better video tomorrow.
Old Mar 17, 2011 | 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

I can't really hear it. Can you describe the sound?
Old Mar 17, 2011 | 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

It's almost like a high-pitched shreiking. Ill pop my hood and take another video tonight or tomorrow.
Old Mar 17, 2011 | 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like my girlfriends car when she starts it up....its one of her belts making the noise.

In your case, I would guess the serpentine belt or accessory belt... but I'm not positive as the noise is hard to hear on your video.

Last edited by SilverShadow03; Mar 17, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2011 | 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

I tried taking another video when I got back in my car.. but it seems as though the sound is more prominent when my car is warmed up. I don't know if that helps any.
Old Mar 17, 2011 | 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a belt squealing/slipping to me.. if the noise is rev specific maybe it needs adjustment to be tightened up to grip better or a new belt altogether.. or it could be a junk bearing in one of the pulleys but you'd be hearing other noises with that..

Maybe get a vid under your hood pulling on the throttle, you might be able to pinpoint the source of the noise yourself doing that as well.
Old Mar 17, 2011 | 04:58 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

That sounds like a problem I had with a Nissan altima some years back. What it ended up being was the bearings within a pulley were shot due to lack of lubrication. If this is the problem you can make a stethoscope with a foot of 3/8 copper tubing and a few feet of vinyl tubing. Connect the two and put the copper side to the pullies (the other to your ear )to see which one it might be, or any other area that you think the noise may be coming from. Hope this helps
Old Mar 17, 2011 | 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

If its the serpentine belt, I installed the RRM UDP last summer so that belt is relatively new. If its the bearings within a pulley, would a full timing belt maintenance resolve it? I intended on doing that next weekend.
Old Mar 17, 2011 | 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking tensioner pulley for your timingbelt. Your maintenance may help but if not you'll know what its not know where else to look
Old Mar 17, 2011 | 06:18 PM
Hail to the Beard

I would do the maintenance, as it sounds like a belt squeaking.
Old Mar 18, 2011 | 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

The belt that I'd had with my RRM UDP ended up cracking itself up to the point it was garbage and I had to get it replaced last month (bought it from here, not used, in April I think).. wasn't a good belt, granted I dunno if it was rated to last through a Sask. winter coming all the way from Cali.. It was making a whole wackload of noises because of it. I had it replaced with a *correction* dayco poly cog belt and it solved pretty much every noise issue (I'd thought my AC compressor pulley was shot and a couple other things cause of it) I'd ever had since installing the pulley and belt together. Pain in the butt to find the right size for the UDP though haha.

Hopefully it's just the serp belt, easy and inexpensive repair

Last edited by nerdbotSKRA; Mar 19, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2011 | 02:17 PM
Hail to the Beard

My belts were squeaking prior to 60k service.
Old Mar 19, 2011 | 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like a pulley is wearing. remove the belt and run the car for a few seconds. With the belt off, I'd also check each pulley for issues.
Old Apr 19, 2011 | 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Update:

So during the week of April 4-9, my car was in the shop. Here is a list of what I had done (105k miles):

Timing Belt
Balance Belt
Timing Idler Pulley
Timing Tensioner Pulley
Balance Belt Tensioner Pulley
Timing Auto Tensioner
Water Pump
Valve Lash Adjustment
Serpentine Belt
Radiator
Trans Fluid (Royal Purple)

I opted to not replace my throw out bearing, so that chirping sound at idle is still there.

But besides that it runs sooooooooo smooth now
Old Apr 19, 2011 | 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Were those adjustments or replacement parts? for the pulleys and tensioner that is. And how much did all that cost you?

Quick Reply: A New Sound.