Notices

Best way to tint lights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Best way to tint lights?

Ok so Ive been searching around and trying to find the best (most effective) way to tint my headlamps and taillamps. Ive seen sprays, vinyls, covers, and several things in between. Im not looking to buy new lamps, I would like to just tint the ones that I do have black. Ive done searches and found ways to do them all but I was hoping to see what is the best way for the money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by bakuro117
Ok so Ive been searching around and trying to find the best (most effective) way to tint my headlamps and taillamps. Ive seen sprays, vinyls, covers, and several things in between. Im not looking to buy new lamps, I would like to just tint the ones that I do have black. Ive done searches and found ways to do them all but I was hoping to see what is the best way for the money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Is that safe/legal? I don't even like driving at night with my windows tinted, it's sometimes hard to see pedestrians.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:51 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would check your local laws before you do anything. I have a friend that tinted his tails and got a fix it ticket that was more of a hassle than it was worth having tinted tail lights. I'm pretty sure he feels the same way
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well atleast from where im from, in florida i believe the best way would be vinyls, reason being is because in some counties around florida its alright to have your lights tinted but not in other. so if theirs a way to pull the tint of you can avoid alot of tickets... and thats from things i have seen personaly
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Im pretty sure its legal around here. I have a neighbor with a mustang and the dude has covers so dark you can barely tell he presses the brake. But he leaves them on 24/7, and i see several people driving around with dark 'smoked out' tails. So I dont think i'll have a problem with the cops. Im just curious what the most effective, as well as cost effective way is to go about doing it.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There isn't a most effective way, each way has its own ups and downs. It all comes down to which one you like the most.
It's not about being legal or not, it's about the cop using it to write you a ticket. I got stopped by the FHP and I got 3 tickets in one shot: speeding, loud exhaust and tinted taillights. The other day I got stopped by MPD for reckless driving( got away with a warning) and didn't even say anything about the tinted lights.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
this just sounds like a bad idea to me. people at night probably wont be seeing you and your visibility is just going to go downhill
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:45 AM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
The best way to do this is to not do it at all. More than likely it is illegal, will decrease your visibility at night, and will be a hazard for other drivers to see you.

Just buy some black tails from RRM or something. Not only will they not look cheap, but will be safe as well.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

I am very happy with my black housed depo's from ebay and they were only like $110 shipped to my house. If you want to tint, night shade spray looks good when it's done right.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

blah blah laws blah blah, if you like it do it. I used nightshade spray, it was dull then i used a 2x glossy clear coat and with my tails on they just look like the have a black housing check it out i have a pic of my rear downn there
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:55 PM
rrd
Evolving Member

try it with plastidip first, that way if you dont like it, it'll peel right off
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

I sprayed mine with lens tint. Turned out ok. I'm going to clay then then do a clear coat
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks everyone! Im now debating between pulling off the spray or buys the ones from RRM. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

@NJRalliart Did you paint your logos black or did they find those somewhere?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:49 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bakuro117
Thanks everyone! Im now debating between pulling off the spray or buys the ones from RRM. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

@NJRalliart Did you paint your logos black or did they find those somewhere?
answer is in his signature ... he painted them
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

haha yes, i painted them

Quick Reply: Best way to tint lights?