Notices

no crank sometimes....anybody having/had this issue?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i'll give another hint...header heat shield - 12mm, exhaust manfiold bolts - 14mm, header to downpipe - 17mm, starter heat shield 10mm and i believe the start bolts are 12mm, but they could be 14...
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Resurrected RA
And it arrived today...

Now just to research on how to easy change this thing out.
LOL....ordered mine and it came in yesterday too...
now i just need time to get it IN the car at work...
hopefully i dont have this starting issue again...i really feel stupid having to push my car away from the gas pump...

i dont feel like doing it at home..all my tools are at work...haha
plus i always get busted for working on my car at my apartment...haha
gotten like 8 warnings now for "working on car where not allowed" lol
luckily its a new guy everytime...(wow i just realized either my place has lots of guard guys...or they have one...wich gets replaced constantly...)
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

i wanna try and put the starter in tonight but i figured id ask since i still got time till i have time to work on my car...do i need to replace the manifold gasket?

im assuming yes but i know sometimes u can get away with reusing some gaskets..so figured id ask..
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

yeah once might be ok, but i'll tell you, with fitting my turbo manifold, i've had my header off and on about 4 or 5 times, and i now have a bit of a rasp coming from up front, pretty sure it's a bit of an exhaust leak, not sure if it's at the head, or at the down pipe.

those gaskets are kinda pricey, but i do have a spare manifold gasket for when i permanently mount the turbo manifold. So for you, i would say go ahead and re-use them, and if you end up with a leak, then replace them, a small exhaust leak won't hurt too much. just make sure everything's good and tight.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

K...thats what i figured...

i should hopefuly have that starter in tonight...(otherwise ill have to push start the car out/in of the shop tomorrow so i can finish it after work again...lol....)
figured id try to make a how to but of course forgot the camera at home chargin....
plus everytime i try to make a how to for anything ive done i always F it up somewhere and then i gotta redo the how to like 4 times....then i give up and never actually post it..lol

Last edited by nekkidlad; Oct 17, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

OK...just put in the starter...woohoo!
now i can actually start my car everytime instead of pushing it most times...
PLUS...i didint have take the exhaust off to do it..its not necesary, just makes it easier...
it wasn't as hard as it looks to do...(just annoying...coolant hoses in the way, clutch slave cylinder, 2 heat shields and header)...and it only took about 30-40 mins...

now i have to reset the radio and clocks etc...grr...
lol

thanks again lanzer for posting up the cheap starter!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

i figured you could change the starter without unbolting the exhaust, but i wasn't sure, cause i haven't tried it yet.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
i figured you could change the starter without unbolting the exhaust, but i wasn't sure, cause i haven't tried it yet.
now you know..
plus im sure its a bit easier without the exhaust in the way...(without hot exhaust in the way for sure.....)
i had to push start my car to get it into the shop at work last night and the floor was all wet from the car wash, so i decided it'd be cool to do a bit of a burnout...(for like 10 secs...and at least the car wash kids thought it was cool)...but i guess it was just enough to heat up the exhaust..
luckily it was just "hot"(still touchably hot, just uncomfortable after a minute or so) not like "HHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!"(2nd degree burns from touching it)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad you were able to fix it. I have the same exact issue as the OP except...

I replaced the starter and it did not fix the issue. It's acting the same way it was with the old starter. Now I'm guessing it's an issue with the wires/ground related to the starter.

Two questions I had real quick.
1. Can I unplug the clutch switch behind the clutch pedal and rig it so it acts like it's always pushed down? The earliest I can get a voltage meter is Monday. I don't have any wiring diagrams for this and I want to make sure it's not that little clutch mechanism.

2. Is there a way to pass current directly to the starter itself and is this safe to do to start it in case I'm stranded?

Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

as far as i know the starter is grounded through the block, you should be able meter from the starter to the block and from the block to the chassis...other than that the starter is fused, i don't know if it also has a solenoid or relay like some older cars i have owned. I can check the manual when i get home if you don't get an answer by then...
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tw3NTy0n3
I'm glad you were able to fix it. I have the same exact issue as the OP except...

I replaced the starter and it did not fix the issue. It's acting the same way it was with the old starter. Now I'm guessing it's an issue with the wires/ground related to the starter.

Two questions I had real quick.
1. Can I unplug the clutch switch behind the clutch pedal and rig it so it acts like it's always pushed down? The earliest I can get a voltage meter is Monday. I don't have any wiring diagrams for this and I want to make sure it's not that little clutch mechanism.

2. Is there a way to pass current directly to the starter itself and is this safe to do to start it in case I'm stranded?

Thanks!
yes theres a way you can bypass the clutch switch im not sure unplugging it is the way..or many many people would have remote starts...lol...im pretty sure you have to pphysically bypass it...(loop it most likely..)

also yes there is a way to power the starter...kinda hard on our cars since its so hidden tho...if u can manage to see the starter u can do it...take some thick wire..(preferrably as fat as the battery cables for safety or maybe even a wrench) and jump the 2 terminals on the solenoid, and that will acuate the starter...but be carefull it will spark, and if u have too thin a wire itll fry right in your hand possibly burning you pretty good...(i wouldnt suggest it...unless its an emergency, its better to just push start it)