Notices

Jacking car up for winter storage. (help)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacking car up for winter storage. (help)

hey,

well im storing my car for the winter and i have the car right against the wall on the one side so i can have maximum space for walking through the garage (1 car garage).

so i just want to know how to jack up the front end as i cant get to it from the side. can i jack it up on the beam the goes under the motor from front to back?
the rear end i can jack up from that beam that goes across where the lower tie-bar is bolted to right?

thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I have not looked under my RA as much...tend to use a lift when working on it. But if its like the Evo. I think there is a tow hook. You can jack off that up front and use the rear cross member to jack up the rear. I 100% am for getting the tires off the ground if storing. Minimizes flat spotting and keeps rubber of damp surfaces. Still exposed to UV and Ozone, but that will happen regardless.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Smike
I have not looked under my RA as much...tend to use a lift when working on it. But if its like the Evo. I think there is a tow hook. You can jack off that up front and use the rear cross member to jack up the rear. I 100% am for getting the tires off the ground if storing. Minimizes flat spotting and keeps rubber of damp surfaces. Still exposed to UV and Ozone, but that will happen regardless.
ok thanks, yeah im not taking the tires off the ground i don't want all that weight on the suspension, and don't want flat spots but im also going to over inflate my tires to about 42psi any ways.

but keep the comments coming thanks !
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if ur storing it only for winter i wouldnt worry about it that much...if u over inflate the tires u should be fine....

ive had my bike stored for like 4 yrs now and i parked it on a piece of plywood and i roll it about 6in back or forth every month or so and its never had a flat spot...and i havent ever overinflated the tires...the 1st year i stored it i jacked it up but it was a giant PITA...

i know a car is heavier but im sure itll work the same...if u wanna jack it up go ahead...(but its quicker to not..lol) just leave it in neutral and roll it a few inches every month or so to get the tire on a different spot so it doesnt flatten out..IMO one winter is likely not enough time to flatten out the tires...(speciallly if its overinflated a bit)...try to find some pieces of plywood so its not on concrete..i know concrete dries out tires if its parked long term, but one winter is probably not enough time either id think

also a good idea is stick a rag or sumn in the exhaust...and possibly the air intake...u never know if/when rodents and other critters are around and where they wanna go
Old Jan 7, 2012, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iceball2000
hey,

well im storing my car for the winter and i have the car right against the wall on the one side so i can have maximum space for walking through the garage (1 car garage).

so i just want to know how to jack up the front end as i cant get to it from the side. can i jack it up on the beam the goes under the motor from front to back?
the rear end i can jack up from that beam that goes across where the lower tie-bar is bolted to right?

thanks!
i know this is a little dead but every time i jack my 05 Ralliart up (winter storage or work) i use that big knoby part on the front cross member that goes front to back right under the transmission never had an issue i then also use the beam in the middle of the two rear a arms and it works great
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by RallyartRob
i know this is a little dead but every time i jack my 05 Ralliart up (winter storage or work) i use that big knoby part on the front cross member that goes front to back right under the transmission never had an issue i then also use the beam in the middle of the two rear a arms and it works great
no thats grate thanks, yeah a little late i ended up using that knoby part and worked fine. car is jacked up on blocks with wood, and wood under the tires, steel wool in the exhaust, fogging oil in the cylinders, full gas tank and moth ***** everywhere lol
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

you dont even need to jack it up
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sidnakit
you dont even need to jack it up
well im not going to have my car rest for 6+ months on my $1200 suspension and have the hole weight of the car resting on components like that, ill take an hour out of my day to jack it up and store it properly