Notices

Glowshift oil pressure and A/F ratio sensor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glowshift oil pressure and A/F ratio sensor

Guys,

I've got three Glow**** gauge with the car when I bought it. Right now, I think the oil pressure and A/F ratios don't work properly.

For the oil pressure, the needle doesn't rotate at all. I test the voltage between the signal and ground which is about 9V. Does this indicate the oil pressure sensor is fine, but the gauge is down?

For the A/F ratio, the needle always spins from lean to rich very fast and fairly random. It seems have nothing to do with the acceleration pedal position. The voltage between signal and ground is always fluctuating from 50~760 mV, which is within the nominal threshold. And this signal voltage seems have nothing to do with acceleration pedal position as well. What's the problem of this one? The gauge or the sensor? This gauge connect to the narrow band oxygen sensor. Where is it?

Thank you very much!

the a/f right now looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2FxKSygGSA
I think it should be looks like: http://youtu.be/rw5TIty2TK4
Attached Thumbnails Glowshift oil pressure and A/F ratio sensor-2012-04-10-08.48.04-1.jpg   Glowshift oil pressure and A/F ratio sensor-11_tinted_air_fuel_main.jpg  

Last edited by nshen43; Apr 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:31 PM

I bought mine w a triple guage pod... Thry did a horrible job on install...but my A/F guage does the same thing. But my oil pressure is spot on along w volt. I always wondered if th af was hooked uo wrong...i just tell people it tells me my car is running. LOL
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might try pushing the plug into the gauge farther. I've had issues myself as they're poorly assembled but they're there to give any warning to something going wrong than to look pretty.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
You might try pushing the plug into the gauge farther. I've had issues myself as they're poorly assembled but they're there to give any warning to something going wrong than to look pretty.
Which one do you refer? a/f or oil psi? Only the a/f is designed with harness. The other one just has several ports.

I get some other instruction about the a/f. Since this gauge is connected to the narrow band oxygen sensor, there could be only two outputs of +1 and -1. If we want to get the read shown in the 2nd video, we have go to a wide band one. That would be more complex. I think this make sense, but just not quite clear, if so, why they design this stupid gauge? And actually, the read I got from my digital multimeter is not simple +1 or -1!!!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
narrow band is stupid and pointless, not simply -1 to +1, but it is not accurate at all...get a wideband...with a turbocharged engine you should already have a wideband...

does your oil pressure gauge sit at maximum, or zero? short the signal wire to ground and see if the needle moves, if not the gauge is ****ed, if it does move, the sending unit is ****ed...where is the sending unit connected?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nshen43
Which one do you refer? a/f or oil psi? Only the a/f is designed with harness. The other one just has several ports.
The oil pressure. I've had a problem were the main power wire is connected to the boost gauge and the oil temp & pressure gauges are daisy chained off that and the boost gauge wouldn't work but the other 2 will, really odd. After wiggling some wires, it works again.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
narrow band is stupid and pointless, not simply -1 to +1, but it is not accurate at all...get a wideband...with a turbocharged engine you should already have a wideband...

does your oil pressure gauge sit at maximum, or zero? short the signal wire to ground and see if the needle moves, if not the gauge is ****ed, if it does move, the sending unit is ****ed...where is the sending unit connected?
I forgot to check the whether the signal would change if I step on the pedal. When the car is idle, the voltage is constantly around 9. something, but the needle just stop at zero.

I've no idea about where is the sensor so far. I don't have a stand. I'll check it later.

Another wired thing, there is one cord comes from the bottom of the engine, but it's a kind of Y shape. One end goes into the car, and the other end goes to the throttle position sensor. The cord was stripped at the neck of the Y. I believe this cord is an additional one, but I don't think all the three gauges have anything to do with the TPS.

BTW, I don't get the "short the signal wire to ground". Connect the signal wire to ground port? If so, with the ground wire on or off the port?

Last edited by nshen43; Apr 10, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
a short is a closed circuit, so yes, connect the signal wire to ground...that would be zero volts...having the signal wire connected to nothing, or open circuit, voltage is infinate and you should see maximum on the gauge...if you have a valid signal from the sending unit, and the gauge reads zero, it's likely that the gauge is not working.

for the narrow band AFR gauge, i can't say for sure, but i do know narrow band is not accurate and pointless to display...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
a short is a closed circuit, so yes, connect the signal wire to ground...that would be zero volts...having the signal wire connected to nothing, or open circuit, voltage is infinate and you should see maximum on the gauge...if you have a valid signal from the sending unit, and the gauge reads zero, it's likely that the gauge is not working.

for the narrow band AFR gauge, i can't say for sure, but i do know narrow band is not accurate and pointless to display...
+1 on the narrow band. No benefits, just a flashy gauge.