Notices

Slight Burning Oil Smell In Cabin After Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slight Burning Oil Smell In Cabin After Oil Change

So, two days ago I changed my oil. Everything went fine. Filled it up to the full line like usual. Then ran it for 5 minutes and checked it again. Oil level looked fine. The last two days while driving to school, I noticed a very slight burning oil smell coming out of the vents in my car. I only smell it when I am a stop light for over 5-10 seconds. The other thing is it only seems to show up if the engine is hot. Now I will say it was windy when I was changing oil, and I did spill a few drops down by the fill cap when changing the oil. Could this small amount of oil make it smell? I don't see any smoke, and when I get out of my car and walk around I don't smell anything. I am going crazy over this. PCV going bad? Value seal? Or just some spilled oil. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burnt oil will only smell through the exhaust. Chances are it's the spilt oil that's cooking and smelling. Wait a few days and see if it goes away, if not, look closer, maybe the valve cover gasket leaks. If none of this works, pull your spark plugs. The seals there tend to break down and leak.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xmaster19
Burnt oil will only smell through the exhaust. Chances are it's the spilt oil that's cooking and smelling. Wait a few days and see if it goes away, if not, look closer, maybe the valve cover gasket leaks. If none of this works, pull your spark plugs. The seals there tend to break down and leak.
yeah i say wait a few days too and let us know if the smell goes away. if it does then that's good. if not then we gotta do some further diagnosing.

my best bet (if it's not the spilt oil) is that it's leaking through your plugs? when did you last service your plugs?

you can also try checking your cabin filter and see if there's any oil on it?

just a few thoughts.

cheers bro
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

I changed my plugs around 58K. I am at 78K now. I am starting to think it is the PCV valve or the oil fill cap. Today when I popped the hood there was a small line of oil from the fill cap down the valve cover onto the block. If the pcv valve is bad would it cause extra pressure? Making it come out of the fill cap?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemike396
I changed my plugs around 58K. I am at 78K now. I am starting to think it is the PCV valve or the oil fill cap. Today when I popped the hood there was a small line of oil from the fill cap down the valve cover onto the block. If the pcv valve is bad would it cause extra pressure? Making it come out of the fill cap?
Why did you change your plugs so early? We have iridium plugs that don't need to be changed until around 100k or later.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm..it's just weird that this would all happen right after you changed your oil..i'm not sure if the pcv valve could cause that but like what people have said before--our cars like to mind f*** us sometimes..we're being mind f***ed right now by your RA
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Yea if your PCV is clogged or simply not opening then you will have an imbalance of pressure in your engine, and that pressure could cause leaks elsewhere as something has to give.

We are pretty sure this is what recently happened to my brother's Eclipse. His PCV hadnt been circulating or freeing up pressure and has either caused his head gasket to blow or his head to crack. Compression tests revealed that pressure from cylinders 2 and 4 is being thrown back and forth at each other. And his engine was totally covered in oil. Looked like it was being forced from every possible crack it was bad...

So check your PCV make sure its clear of obstruction and working. id also start checking the valve cover gaskets just to be sure. If it is the PCV you dont want it going unchecked for too long like my brother did...
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Wouldn't a clogged PCV valve throw a code though? I feel like my oil filler cap has been leaking but I cant be too sure. But damn those valves are so expensive! -_-

EDIT: nvm I'm thinking of the EGR valve

Last edited by Raikiri; Feb 28, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
Wouldn't a clogged PCV valve throw a code though? I feel like my oil filler cap has been leaking but I cant be too sure. But damn those valves are so expensive! -_-

EDIT: nvm I'm thinking of the EGR valve
I would think a clogged PCV valve would at least lead to something that would throw a code.

On your oil cap, check to make sure the screw is tight underneath. My DSM had a loose screw on the filler cap and it would leak oil. As soon as I tightened it, everything was fine.

Last edited by slc-ralliart; Feb 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the feed back guys. I am going to stop at autozone after school and pick up a new cap: $6 and a new pcv valve: $4. Then see what happens.

Any pointers for changing the PCV valve? Seems straight forward take the back cover off the valve cover. And just pop the valve off? Are there screws?

Also the other thing after I changed my oil should I check the oil when it is cold or hot? If i check it when it is cold (sitting over night) it is about on the full line. If I check it right after running it is about a quater inch over the full line. Is this normal? Am I overfilled? I have heard of people running half - full quater over the full line for racing and such.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the feed back guys. I am going to stop at autozone after school and pick up a new cap: $6 and a new pcv valve: $4. Then see what happens.

Any pointers for changing the PCV valve? Seems straight forward take the back cover off the valve cover. And just pop the valve off? Are there screws?

Also the other thing after I changed my oil should I check the oil when it is cold or hot? If i check it when it is cold (sitting over night) it is about on the full line. If I check it right after running it is about a quater inch over the full line. Is this normal? Am I overfilled? I have heard of people running half - full quater over the full line for racing and such.
Your engine oil shouldn't change much either hot or cold. ATF on the other hand expands quite a bit. If you are over the fill line then you are likely overfilled.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slc-ralliart
Your engine oil shouldn't change much either hot or cold. ATF on the other hand expands quite a bit. If you are over the fill line then you are likely overfilled.
After it has cooled down some I am right on the full line. I think checking it hot is inconsistent, because some of the oil splashes up the dip stick line and such.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The pcv valve you have to screw in and out. It's not just a pop off kind of thing
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
The pcv valve you have to screw in and out. It's not just a pop off kind of thing
Okay, good to know. I am sure this will be stuck since it is the original. Might have to take it easy, dont want to break the plastic. Maybe some pb blaster...
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
crank case vents to the intake as well...i would check if it's pissing out the cap, or just seeping, the seal on the cap could just be bad...

the pcv valve is just a check valve, one way street...because it vents to the intake manifold which experiences positive AND negative (vacuum) pressure...

Quick Reply: Slight Burning Oil Smell In Cabin After Oil Change