Notices

Ralliart Lancer vs. (insert model) [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2004, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beat an RSX type S, but maybe the guy just wasnt as good a driver. I'll tell ya what though- it was close, and during this run - I hit about 123-128 mph, maybe he just didnt have the cajones to keep pushing. anyways, the RA has more bang for the buck.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

RA vs. Mazda 3...

I know it's been sorta discussed before, but I've never really noticed a head to head comparision of the two.

How do the RA and the Mazda3 GT stand up to each other performance wise?

they are similar in #'s, with the mazda having 160hp at 6500 and a bit less torque, but at the dealership the salesguy said it was an all aluminum block, and that it weights less and handles better then an RA.

...I just went and looked at the 3 today, but haven't driven yet, and plan to redrive an RA on the weekend so that comparison will be fresh in my head...

..at this point I'm still leaning to the ra, but it's a tough choice...any ideas on things I should look for in the mazda?...pricewise they are pretty much the same for what I'm looking at...the 3 has a lower price, but higher financing so payments are the same.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

well i also looked at the mazda 3

it doesnt come stock with air conditioning and a lot of other features that were standard on the RA, which is one of the reasons i chose the RA

although if you dont want all the features that come in the RA, you can just get a 3 and buy the ones you need...

also i dont know about the mazda guy telling you that the 3 handles better than the RA, ive never driven it.. the RA handles like a dream though

also look at the warranty... im not sure what mazda is offering, but mitsubishi offers 10yr/100000 miles on drivetrain, 10/100k roadside assistance, and 3 years/36k on the whole car
Old Apr 23, 2004, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure the RA comes with an aluminum block.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

dealer to drive an ra...hopefully one stands
Originally posted by Rallilanc
I'm pretty sure the RA comes with an aluminum block.
it comes with an aluminum head, but cast iron block.

Well, to update on the decision...for those who don't care but read on anyways, hehe , We test drove the 3 yesterday...it was nice...very nice...however, I still feel that the price is a little high, due to the finance rate, and I still want to test drive the ra again...soo today we journey to a different mazda so as to have it fresh in our minds, then to the to drive and RA...hopefully one will just stand out b/c right now we're both kinda torn...
Old Apr 25, 2004, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Well gentlemen/women I think I've mae my decision, and it's for the Mazda3.

Both drove almost identical, both priced about the same...seemingly...but things that helped make my decision were:
1) the maz has a slightly nicer interior
and most importantly
2) at mitsubishi the guy kepp tryng to get me to pay $38-40 000 for a $20,000 car...at first he offered a demo, with a trade-in that we knew we were gonna lose money on, he said $483/month for 84 months...that's $40,000 and completely rediculous...I left the dealership, at which point they gave me the demo to drive so ask to think about it...well we drove right over to the mazda dealer and then I took back the demo about 5 min later, at which point the sales manager told me that he could get the extra $4000 for the trade from his wholesaler, so I said great, went back to my gf at mazda, where they worked in the trade and everything at $502/month for a 3 gt w/ gfx and leather for 60months...and they're interest rate is 5.65 vs. 's 1.9 at 60

so, once again we headed back to to see what they could do...he works out $531 w/ protection pkg for 72 months...thats still $38,000 I'm paying for a 20,000 and at the time I didn't realize it, but he was working that $4000 in there, which means he was trying to screw me for the 4gs, plus a fair bit more fro mthe term...man am I glad we left w/o putting the deposit...

That vs. Mazda where the guy did what he could to help get rid of the -4000 and get us the 3 at a good price...

Honestly, this experience is what made me decide that there's no way I'll ever buy a now...too pushy of salesguys, and trying to make me pay twice the value of the car...combinesd with the fact that the sales guy had to ask me if it was overhead cam and things like that...Oh, and not even the damn sales manager knows how to spell "Ralliart" as they both wrote "Rallyart" call me crazy but I feel that if your selling a porduct you should know what it is and how to speel it's name right...

Oh well...3 months of planning for my RA, and now I'm gonna mazda....funny how that works I guess....
Old Apr 25, 2004, 02:32 PM

so how much did u pay for ur 3 khobin~?
Old Apr 25, 2004, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

I've driven the Mazda 3i (or GS in Canada, 2.0L engine) and it drives REALLY nice. It eats corners like crazy and is desires to go all the way to redline.

But yeah... what caught my attention was the 162 lbs ft of torque to match the 162 hp in the Lancer Ralliart. That, and supposedly the Ralliart handles really well too. I'm more into autoX and mountain driving, as long as straight line 0-60 is 9 seconds or less.

Soo... Ralliart Lancer vs Mazda 3.
Mazda 3 seems to have interior quality, possibly reliability, and a stiffer ride, correct?
Old Apr 25, 2004, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ralliart has the stiffer ride i guess, my friend has it, i dont really like the driving exp, esp looking to the back of the car, rear window seems small and interior wise, its nice, dont really like about the engine though...
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

i was looking to the mazda to, but then i heard the motor was built by (or got parts by) ford. ford = POS!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

the motor was not built by Ford.
From my understanding, Mazda used the Duratec block (which is Ford), but then I believe they built their own motor from that. The car has been really reliable, and is not a piece of junk. I drove it pretty hard. It's got some good pick up.
I may be wrong, but alls I know is the Mazda 3 motor is not a Ford motor.

I heard the Ralliart Lancer has lots of body roll versus the Mazda 3. Is this true?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:55 AM
EJM

I test drove a Mazda Sport when I was shopping for my RA purchase. It is a nice car but I couldn't get past the dashboard lights. Too much going on there. It is too bad as the local dealer here for Mazda is the best in town and I have bought new there. I am really happy with my RA but will get the maintenance done somewhere else.

Reagards
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:38 AM
Evolving Member

What pushed you to get the RA instead?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 09:37 AM
EJM

The interior of the Mazda really turned me off. I also liked the RA's overall appearance better and I felt it had more potential for purformance. I just felt like I belonged in the RA. This is just my opinion of course, Mazda is a great company and I have owned a couple of them with no regrets. I had an MX6 new that I reccommended to everyone at the time, especially with our dealership here.

Regards
Old Apr 26, 2004, 09:38 AM
EJM

The interior of the Mazda really turned me off, the dash, in particular . I also liked the RA's overall appearance better and I felt it had more potential for purformance. I just felt like I belonged in the RA.

This is just my opinion of course, Mazda is a great company and I have owned a couple of them with no regrets. I had an MX6 new that I reccommended to everyone at the time, especially with our dealership here.

Regards

Quick Reply: Ralliart Lancer vs. (insert model) [MERGED]