Notices

05 ralliart alternator problem?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 ralliart alternator problem?

Hello I'm in need of help.my ralliart took a turn for the worse. Alternator won't charge the battery.I went to buy a new alternator and battery and same thing happened again. I went to test the 1 month old alternator in two different locations and both said its good works fine.got a lead that it might be my fuses and the fine too..I'm puzzled help!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Have you had the battery tested? Could be that it just can't hold a charge anymore. When the car is running unhook the battery. If it still runs then the alternator is fine. If the car dies once the battery is taken off then it points to a bad alternator.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
if Raikiri's suggestion doesn't tell the story, sounds like it could be a wiring problem...also there is a fusible link, did you check that?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Just reread his original post and it says he bought a new battery... its possible a defective battery as well but chances are now more leaning towards a wire or the fusible link issue.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Raikiri
Have you had the battery tested? Could be that it just can't hold a charge anymore. When the car is running unhook the battery. If it still runs then the alternator is fine. If the car dies once the battery is taken off then it points to a bad alternator.
The battery was new bought that same day. I did do that test and the car died wen I took off the battery positive cable.I tested that alternator and it was good
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
if Raikiri's suggestion doesn't tell the story, sounds like it could be a wiring problem...also there is a fusible link, did you check that?
I'm afraid its a wiring problem. I didn't check that..were can I find it?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

The link should be on the positive battery terminal if what I'm looking at is right. Otherwise check your fusebox and have a look and see if any of your fuses are blown.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

all the fuses in the fuse box are for the regulator IC, but it possible a blown fuse could cause problems. You are correct Raikiri, the main battery/alternator fusible link (No. 26 120A) is the one on the positive terminal... I have a used spare I can mail you rallyjr, if you have the time to wait...just PM me your address...if not, the part number is MN164188. If you're good with wire repair, you could even just pick up a generic link, and make it work...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 8, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 04:37 PM

all the fuses in the fuse box are for the regulator IC, but it possible a blown fuse could cause problems. You are correct Raikiri, the main battery/alternator fusible link (No. 26 120A) is the one on the positive terminal... I have a used spare I can mail you rallyjr, if you have the time to wait...just PM me your address...if not, the part number is MN164188. If you're good with wire repair, you could even just pick up a generic link, and make it work...
Thank you cranswick and all of you guys for the support.good news car is running and charging the problem was the battery although it was new the battery was not good quality and I got it from the shop so we'll see how long this one lasts me.again thank you all👍
Old Oct 8, 2014, 05:51 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I've installed 2 defective batteries in the last 8yrs. From what I've seen, it's rare. But does happen (obviously). Anyway, good to hear you found the problem
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

yeah lead acid batteries, if not charged or stored properly can and will become toxic paper weights...see it all the time in the aviation world...though nowadays NiCad is more common in larger modern aircraft.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 08:16 PM

yeah lead acid batteries, if not charged or stored properly can and will become toxic paper weights...see it all the time in the aviation world...though nowadays NiCad is more common in larger modern aircraft.
Beware don't purchase alternators from auto zone they didn't even last me 2 weeks! Car is not running now
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

so was it the alternator?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:58 PM

so was it the alternator?
It might be..its cheap quality IMA just going to take it to the shop because different people are saying it's a short or the alternator or the battery or the fuses.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 05:06 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rallyjr27
Beware don't purchase alternators from auto zone they didn't even last me 2 weeks! Car is not running now
I've actually installed several duralast (autozone) alternators and have never had a problem

Like posted above, probably a defective part. It happens once in a while.

Quick Reply: 05 ralliart alternator problem?