Notices

Cruise control never worked, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise control never worked, any ideas?

Hi everyone,

I'm from aus and have a CH VR-X lancer which is the same as the American 4g69 ralliart.I bought the car a year ago and never cared about cruise control. There's no light on the dash and pressing the control stalk on then down has no response (not just burnt light). I would like to fix it up if possible. I have checked my fuse and its good, brake lights are good. I have sourced some wiring diagrams and as of now I haven't got to check them. Could anyone make some suggestions as to where I should be checking for electrical faults?

I have checked the forums and seen that a lot of people had LED lights and that was the cause, I do not have LED lights.

Thanks, Grant

Edit: I checked some wiring. Going off the diagrams I have, the steering wheel control stalk is connected to the clock spring with 3 wires. The black and black and white wires carry the signal. Testing resistance in these wires show that every function of the control stalk has a different resistance (as id expect). I then tried testing continuity through the clock spring to the 6 pin output plug (my diagrams show that the white and the green wire correspond to the inputs. I however, have no continuity. As I understand the clock spring is just a wound ribbon cable? So this would mean the wires are snapped in the clock spring?

Last edited by Grant Dare; Apr 25, 2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Checked wiring
Old Jul 14, 2020, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
When i drove my ralliart a couple years ago my cruise control worked here and there until one day it stopped all together. i looked for a fix in these forums and i found that if you want the cruise control function you have to change out the steering wheel completely. you can just swap components. i am not entirely sure if this was correct but thats what i remember seeing. good luck!