Notices

RE: Removing heat shield on header

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that sould be your job. now hope to it.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

thats hop to it. sorry my fingers ar faster then my brain
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Wink all knowing

the heat shield in place also helps to prevent heatsoaking the radiator. i would leave it on until you find a header. even if you find a header, it would make sense to then fabricate a new heat shield AND wrap the header tubes. or you could just sell the car and buy an evo!!!
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

sigh, when are you US EVO guys gonna stop teasing us with the EVO? We can't get them here in Canada, go troll somewhere else
I would worry less about heat soaking the radiator and more about melting the plastic fans in hot summer weather. I did that a couple times with the old talon in 35C heat, and that was with 1 of the 2 heat shields still installed
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Was your old talon turbo? B/c THAT would do it
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Yup, no problems till that lower heat shield came off.... I'll be keeping my heat shield just because of the previous mentioned problems. Extra heat = bad mmmm'kay?
Old Jul 8, 2004, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget though....Turbo = extra heat! hehe
Old Jul 8, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

haha, mmmmmmm,kay!
Old Jul 8, 2004, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 95TsiAWD
I got a pic of the header, not so much the engine bay. The header needs some ceramic coating TLC before it's presentable
http://www.techmonkeys.org/saskdsm/b...t/IMGP1967.JPG

I just spent a couple hours on the heat shield. Sand paper... 120, 180, 240, 320 grit, then the grinding wheel with buffing compound, brown, white, red, then a little of the megiar's mag wheel polish
Oh my god you need a hobby...lol. I have never heard of anyone spending that much time on a heat shield.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 05:52 PM

I would keep the heat shield on, it also helps direct the heat, although there is no noticable difference, it is better to keep in on.

I just went through a lot of work trying to get the stock heatshield back on my nissan, to sum it up, its a 200sx with an sr20ve swapped into it with the 20v exhaust manifold (stock) has huge 1 7/8th" tubular runners which produce a lot of heat.

Keep the heatshield
Old Jul 9, 2004, 04:03 AM

The heat shield makes a tremendous difference, I don't know exactly how, but I have been driving around without it(3 days) while I polish the stock one up, I popped the hood this morning just to see how hot things were and I could not even touch the upper radiator hose because it was so hot from the manifold, I will take a temp with my infared later today.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

fastgascar,
Where is the needle on your temp gage when your car is highway driving without your cover. I realy never checked when mine was off. I'm curious now that mine is coated with ceramic paint. now my needle sits a little below half way.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

The problem with modern temp gauges is that they are calibrated to only move when there is a considerable change in temp. They are "dummied up" because people who don't know any better see a car like theirs running a little hotter or cooler than their car and they take it to the dealership. To stop all the useless trips to the dealership and wasting everyones time b/c people don't understand the normal temperature fluctuations in cars manufacturer's started doing this
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by lrh35
fastgascar,
Where is the needle on your temp gage when your car is highway driving without your cover. I realy never checked when mine was off. I'm curious now that mine is coated with ceramic paint. now my needle sits a little below half way.
It sits right below half way, I will take a pic on the way home for ya, my concern is with the heat that is coming off of the manifold it surely will take a toll on the hoses and wire looms. It's going back on as soon as I get home.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

after driving around this morning I poped my hood to see how hot my cover was. this sin't very scientific but I could hold my finger to the cover for a second before it felt to hot to touch. the ceramic must be helping some.

Quick Reply: RE: Removing heat shield on header