Notices

Fender Rolling

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fender Rolling

Anyone know what kind of places will do fender rolling. Les Schwab test fitted some wheels on my car (17x7 +38mm) but they did not test them with tires. I got 215/40 17 on them (yeah, yeah I didn't listen to all you). But I am rubbing over bigger bumps and would like to get my fenders rolled. Will somewhere like Les Schwab be able to do it, or am I going to need to find a body shop that will do it for me? Anyone had there fenders rolled, if so, where did you do it?

Stephen
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

I borrowed the fender rolling tool from a local shop (I have hookups ). Find out what part of the fender it's hitting on (top or front, I was hitting both). If it's just barely hitting then get yourself a rubber mallet and a heat gun. Heat the paint up super hot and bash the **** outta it (you won't damage the paint, trust me). If it's really hammering the fender (ie, damage to the tire tread) then you'll need to have it rolled with a machine (or ghetto baseball bat method) because the hammer trick won't get you a tight enough lip.
There was an article in SCC I think about rolling your own fenders, you might want to look that up. The paint is actually pretty tough and you won't crack it or **** it up if you have it heated up. Heat it until it's too hot for you to touch for more than 1 second (found this out the hard way on one fender, heat is your friend).
Old Sep 8, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

thread ressurection, I don't think I've ever posted pics of the rolled fenders and 225 width tires so I took a few yesterday. Enjoy

http://beezsk.com/lancer
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

-

Running on Avons!!! Now that's something you don't see everyday! How's the handling? What about the thread wear? Are they much more expensive than your average performance tires?

BTW: For those of you who don't know, Avon is a very specialized UK company that almost exclusively sells racing tires. They sells tires for almost every type of asphalt racing, from GT to open wheel...

Sorry about the OT... I had to ask.

-
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

haha, they're really awesome tires. These are actually hand-me-downs from the 2G Talon I used to own. I've had these tires for about 3 years now, I only run them in the summer but they have probably 60,000kms on them. Probably good for another 40,000 or so. Price was a little steep at $200CND/each (the list price was $275/each but I got a deal) but they seem worth the money. Only downer is that Kal-Tire was the only place in Canada importing them and they stopped actually importing them a few months after I purchased. Last time I checked there is 3 of these tires left in this size in Canada. So hopefully one of them doesn't bite the dust from a road hazard or something and I can just replace all 4 at the same time when they wear out
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

-

So you didn't even pay more for your Avons than I paid for my Pirellis!!! That sucks...

I would have thought the wear rate would be much higher. Now I gotta have those tires as my next set... but you tell me they don't sell them over here anymore! Damn, that sucks even more!

I'd go for the stock size though... and I know Avon doesn't make them in every sizes. Maybe they don't have a tire to fit my rims...

-
Old Sep 8, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure they have a 205/55R16 (and maybe even a 50 series) in the ZZ1s. Whether or not there's any available in Canada anymore
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:10 AM

I have my rear fenders rolled on my RA. I am running a 215/40/17 and have no issues with rubbing. I had 5 people in my car lastweekend, as well as my stereo in thge trunk and it was fine. The issue is, if you feel under your fender in the back, there is a bolt that holds the rear fender and the rear bumper together, rolling your fenders can't do anything about that, that is where I was getting rubbing in the past. Also it is a good idea to have the area that was rolled covered with a urathane undercoating or else you need to be concerned about rusting.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't crack any of the paint, so no worries about rusting. What did you do about the bolt that holds the rear bumper and fender together?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 02:16 PM

I tried to hammer it back, didn't really work. I also used a file to grind them down a little bit, that sort of worked. For me the bolts aren't really an issue. The tire shop I got my wheels and rims from gave me the wrong size rubber initally I was running a 215/45/17 and was getting mad rubbing. Now its all good with the rolled fenders and smaller rubber.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that roll looks like it turned out very well. i wouldnt do mine myself unless I had access to a roller machine, but im really picky. Now all ya gotta do is paint that ugly fence

btw, did the 225s help or hurt u launches? seems like a lotta work for our little 2.4l
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 95TsiAWD
I'm pretty sure they have a 205/55R16 (and maybe even a 50 series) in the ZZ1s. Whether or not there's any available in Canada anymore
Looks good, it's not even that noticable (the rolling). I wanted to get better tires in the spring, but maybe it will happen next spring. I live in Saskatoon BTW and have a black RA too.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
that roll looks like it turned out very well. i wouldnt do mine myself unless I had access to a roller machine, but im really picky. Now all ya gotta do is paint that ugly fence

btw, did the 225s help or hurt u launches? seems like a lotta work for our little 2.4l
With the wider rubber the car doesn't spin as badly as it did before, especialy in corners.