Notices

Drove a Ralliart Sportback

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2004, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do they make a turbo lancer already? yes...

http://www.mitsubishicars.com.sg/cars/main_RLT.asp

is it the same engine? no. so its only wishful thinking they make one. would be nice though... *hint hint mitsubishi*
Old Aug 3, 2004, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

oh course its not the same engine. First of all, that one is an INVEC and US RA is MIVEC. Second of all, one is a 1.8L and the other is 2.4L. Then comes to the compression ratio, 10:1 vs 9:1. One is DOHC and other one is SOHC. Then comes to the gas prices (thanks to the middle east ppl for not pumping more gas and raising the price), the GDI one uses Unlead Premium while the US RA uses Unlead Regular. You can save alot in gas in a year with the US Spec RA. They both exert almost same amount of hp. Other than that, its not much difference (except they get Recaro Seats). Its almost like a mini-evo (but evo is awd). Good car none-of-the-less.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avro206
For me it's the "look at me, I am slow" factor. If you have some show, you gotta have some go to. Didn't want to ruffle anyones feathers here

But I look at an 04 RA and an 03 OZ and I really think they are cars from different companies. Front ends, back ends are so different.
of course the 04 RA looks different from the 03 OZ. in fact, the whole 04 lancer is different from the 03 lancers. and that other part you said, look like cars from china. wat car did china make that makes it look like the oz? hmm, none?

btw, 04 lancers has that pontiac wannabe nose (no offense to the RA owner) and the 03 lancers have that bmw wannabe grill. but i do like the 04 rear bumper better, it doesnt stick out that much, but i dont like the license plate location on the rear.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 04:41 AM

^ Bleh me either, wish it was on the bumper like the 02/03
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

For me it's the "look at me, I am slow" factor. If you have some show, you gotta have some go to. Didn't want to ruffle anyones feathers here

But I look at an 04 RA and an 03 OZ and I really think they are cars from different companies. Front ends, back ends are so different.
I have put some hard earned money in my OZ, and I like it a lot. I run low 16's, and I don't have the chip, or any headwork, port and polishing done yet. As far as "NO GO" The OZs are not That slow. When youn think about it, they do well for 120HP with a fair share of weight to pull. Numbers are numbers, as quoted by Car and Driver. As long as it makes you put a smile on your face while driving it, Then your all good. For me an '88 camaro is like the "look at me, I have a mullet" factor!
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, and the sportback you said had ok midrange, but you are in elevation. Well the numbers between the OZ and the sportback are almost identical. Ok now I am done!
Old Aug 3, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ozrmrlancer
Oh, and the sportback you said had ok midrange, but you are in elevation. Well the numbers between the OZ and the sportback are almost identical. Ok now I am done!
Uh, what numbers are you talking about.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pocoRA
Uh, what numbers are you talking about.
Look in the back of motor trend or other car mags, that have road test results. I also said almost the same. The sportback is not that much quicker than the OZ. Its Auto, does 0-60 in 8.6, and the 1/4 in 16.6. The OZ they said does, 0-60 in 8.9, and the 1/4 in 16.8, Now all those numbers are relative to elevation,, temperature, and overall weather(pressure, humidity, etc.,). The sportback weighs quite a bit more than the OZ. Having that extra weight, even with 160 or so hp(162), the weight and auto tranny bog it down a bit. I am not bashing on the sportback, Cuz I love all mitsus, not matter what.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

There is even a mag that tested an OZ to be at 16.6 in the 1/4. But I have a hard time believing that. Even that 16.8 is a little far fetched, but not if they test it at 100 ft. above SL, and 70f outside. I am just stating what I read, and what is physically obvious.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 05:37 PM

I don't have an 88 Camaro...anymore and the mullet thing is so old. The one thing I did like about the Camaro was RWD Hated the sqeaks and rattles. Crappy TBI engine ect. Worst car I have ever owned.

I saw a Motor Week and they got a Sportback 8.0 to 60mph and 16.0 in the 1/4.
It not alot heavier then the sedan.

Looking at 0-100mph the Ralliart (sedan 5 speed) did it in about 19 sec and the OZ took 28!
I gotta have some high speed pull.

And ozrmrlancer I am glad you like your car. Your very right that as long as its enough for you, its good enough. Very true.

I think I would buy the car I like better, even if its a tad slower then a competitor.

Car and Driver summed it up best, " The Ralliart was what the OZ should have been" And now you have lots of choice
Old Aug 3, 2004, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

The 8.0 is probably right for the sportback, considering it's auto only. The fastest time recorded for the 5-speed sedan is 6.9.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

I don't have an 88 Camaro...anymore and the mullet thing is so old. The one thing I did like about the Camaro was RWD Hated the sqeaks and rattles. Crappy TBI engine ect. Worst car I have ever owned.

I saw a Motor Week and they got a Sportback 8.0 to 60mph and 16.0 in the 1/4.
It not alot heavier then the sedan.

Looking at 0-100mph the Ralliart (sedan 5 speed) did it in about 19 sec and the OZ took 28!
I gotta have some high speed pull.

And ozrmrlancer I am glad you like your car. Your very right that as long as its enough for you, its good enough. Very true.

I think I would buy the car I like better, even if its a tad slower then a competitor.

Car and Driver summed it up best, " The Ralliart was what the OZ should have been" And now you have lots of choice
RWD is fun! Yeah I got slower numbers from motor trend, or car and driver! Don't remember exactly.