Notices

Drove a Ralliart Sportback

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2004, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a Ralliart Sportback

It was a Sportback (the little wagons) they were sold out of Ralliart sedans with the manual tranmssions. Popular combo.

The gf like sport utes but their price, gas mileage and truck like attributes (can't corner, not fun to drive ect) make them unrealistic. Thats why we drove the wagon.

And The Sportbacks are auto only (dumb) A shift-tronic would have been nice, every other Mitsu has that except for the Lancer!

I have really liked the looks of the Ralliart ever since they came out. They are much improved in looks over the 03 Lancers and (lame) OZ Lancer. The front has a little Pontiac Sunfire in it and the back of the sportbacks look like a little Volvo.

I came away pretty impressed. Very tight car, nice ride, sporty handling and strong chassis.

Well thought out interior with good quality materials and fit and finish.
It was the first Mitsu I have ever driven and I thought it was better then the current Civic.

Power was decent-- (good mid-range when the cams switch over)but of course being at 3500ft and having 3 people in the car did not help matters. Yeah it really blows to live at high alititude

Chevy really should have built a Cobalt wagon--I really think there is a market for these things. Mazda has one too--and I haven't drive any new 3's yet.

Salesman said that a factory turbo kit is coming out late next year and will carry the factory waranty.

He said he'll give me a call when they get an manual trans 05
Old Aug 1, 2004, 09:40 AM

" They are much improved in looks over the 03 Lancers and (lame) OZ Lancer. "

hmm, setting yourself up for some nasty comments. A lot of people here like their 02-03 Lancer OZ's.... besides, what was the point of your post?
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Salesman said that a factory turbo kit is coming out late next year and will carry the factory waranty.

Why haven't I heared about this. I'm not sure if this is true.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

a factory turbo kit would be freaking sweet though.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lrh35

Why haven't I heared about this. I'm not sure if this is true.
agreed, salesman talk about crap they dont know all the time. i wouldnt count on it.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Marzochi
" They are much improved in looks over the 03 Lancers and (lame) OZ Lancer. "

hmm, setting yourself up for some nasty comments. A lot of people here like their 02-03 Lancer OZ's.... besides, what was the point of your post?
THe point of my post was just to share my thoughts. I had never driven a Mitsu beofre and didn't know what to expect.

As far as the lame OZ---its that way in both 02,03- and 04. It has a little flash but no substance. No power or handling improvements. I hate cars like that.

Yes I know alot of people like the 03 style but to me it looks like a car form China.
I am not here to appease and pretend I like those years. That front has zero personality. And I know that some people do agree with me that the 04 is much more attractive.

I hope the turbo kit is true. He said 6 psi, about 210hp.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=avro206]As far as the lame OZ---its that way in both 02,03- and 04. It has a little flash but no substance. No power or handling improvements. I hate cars like that.QUOTE]

actually the oz has a stock sway bar that the es/ls does not have.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avro206

I hope the turbo kit is true. He said 6 psi, about 210hp.
It will take more then 6 psi to make 210 hp. Not that it matters, I don't think there is a kit.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

I believe the salesman was probably talking about crank horsepower. If that's the case, then 6 psi will definitely get the job done.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

I could see that at the crank. The only thing I'm wondering is where people get their info. If I could get a turbo for my ralliart that won't void my warrenty I'm all over it. But I don't think mitsu will make a car to compete with the evo. and a $20k ralliart plus the cost of a kit installed and your just a little under the cost of an entry level evo.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure that they could sell the kit just on the premise of keeping your warranty alive... I think they'd have to sell this for a bit less than what's already available on the market. Then, it could become a great buy... even for existing Lancer owners.

Anyway, it would be a great sales & marketing tool (as this particular salesman already demonstrated)... and remember the RA is already a semi-tuner car (and was designed that way). Maybe Mitsubishi were only planning ahead when they decided on ceramic coated pistons...

But my hunch-o-meter tells me there's no more than a 25% chance of them putting out a turbo kit...
Old Aug 2, 2004, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

I personally wouldn't have got the RA unless it was a manual...I don't want the tranny to take my precious NA power I have!
Old Aug 2, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One reason to carry the turbo is for us Canadian Lancers. We can't get Evos, so turbo Ralliarts/OZ/ES would kick ***. Easy enough to offer them to US dealers too.

I heard they will have a supercharger too
Old Aug 2, 2004, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

So why the "lame OZ?" Why not "Lame 03 Lancers." I don't get it! Does everyone hate the OZ?

Last edited by ozrmrlancer; Aug 2, 2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ozrmrlancer
So why the "lame OZ?" Why not "Lame 03 Lancers." I don't get it! Does everyone hate the OZ?
For me it's the "look at me, I am slow" factor. If you have some show, you gotta have some go to. Didn't want to ruffle anyones feathers here

But I look at an 04 RA and an 03 OZ and I really think they are cars from different companies. Front ends, back ends are so different.

Quick Reply: Drove a Ralliart Sportback