Notices

Why you can beat a RSX Type-S

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll agree w/ you on MOST of what you say BLK-MAJIK. The RSX type s is a AWESOME track car. I've had a base rsx and have driven stock and modded type s's before. I would say they are a little better in overall road feel and handling then the RA is....however w/ a much larger price tag.
For the money, you catagoricly CAN NOT beat the RA in any area for what you get. Plain and simple.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
yea, 100lbs does make a diff. a major value in calculating torque is the WEIGHT! would 100lbs shave 1/2 second off the quarter? hell no! maybe a tenth or 2. but damn, i would kill to get an easy tenth or 2! as for the 4door thing, thast not where all (or even much) of the weight is added.

think of this: we are talking about going fast in a straight line. fun, but not its not gonna make my hair stand up. a road course /w lots of tight fun turns is a diff story. then we need more suspension, handleing etc. that doesnt come from nowhere! its gonna add weight.

the RA and the typeS are ment to do different things. if you wanted a drag car and you bought an RA, your nuts! if you wanted a car that drives execptionally well in all situations (except going really REALLY fast for miles and miles) and has lots of potential for the money, you made a good choice. dont expect much more than that /wout dishing out the green.
Very true, going fast in a straight line is only fun when you have 400+ horses behind your ***. I would much prefer tossing a little Jap compact (RA, RSX, Celica) around a track than I would dragging it.
I guess I was wrong with the weight too, 5lbs difference? Anyway, 100lbs will make a difference, but not much. A tenth is not much when you are comparing/racing cars in completely different classes.
Now I need to find out how much a Celica weighs, I doubt it is much lighter. Eclipse's are heavy aren't they? I remember reading 3000+lbs. That is shocking if it is true.
Anyone with dragging in mind who bought a Jap car is nuts! Why not grab an old American muscle car with a nice big block V8 and then do that up. You want to go fast in a straight line...THAT is the type of car you want. You don't want a Japanese 4 cylinder, FWD. The main reason I got the RA is because it is good to drive daily, takes all your hard driving and handles very well. Being way cheaper than any sports coupe is a plus too.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Very true, going fast in a straight line is only fun when you have 400+ horses behind your ***. I would much prefer tossing a little Jap compact (RA, RSX, Celica) around a track than I would dragging it.
I guess I was wrong with the weight too, 5lbs difference? Anyway, 100lbs will make a difference, but not much. A tenth is not much when you are comparing/racing cars in completely different classes.
Now I need to find out how much a Celica weighs, I doubt it is much lighter. Eclipse's are heavy aren't they? I remember reading 3000+lbs. That is shocking if it is true.
Anyone with dragging in mind who bought a Jap car is nuts! Why not grab an old American muscle car with a nice big block V8 and then do that up. You want to go fast in a straight line...THAT is the type of car you want. You don't want a Japanese 4 cylinder, FWD. The main reason I got the RA is because it is good to drive daily, takes all your hard driving and handles very well. Being way cheaper than any sports coupe is a plus too.

All very good points, man...but you have to admit, some of those Japanese drag cars they have are simply astounding. It's a huge technical feat to have some of those motors push 600, 700, 800 hp and begin to barrel their way into a sport largely dominated by V8 powered machines.

But as far as our little bolt-on racers go? I'm 100% with ya!
Old Sep 14, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Ya, AMC Gremlins on the track are sleeper, because modern drivers don't know it has a V8 and RWD for a subcompact.

TQ is nice, but I can see it being nullified by a better driver in a H&A machine. FRom my experience, there are very few GSR and ITR drivers that run the track comparing to platoons of SI and SI swaped EX's or DX's. If they are great to god-like shifters, they can match cars of greater TQ off the line . . . ya, they won't win the 1/4, but they won't get dusted off the line.

One time, I saw two GSR's and 1 ITR drivers who weren't afraid to attack GSX's and GS-T on the track. When they launch, they either lead or neck to neck off the line. Those acura drivers were already in 3rd gear while the GSX or GS-T drivers were just in the middle of 2nd. I have yet to see SI drivers match the driving abilities for those purebred drivers, except for those TC'ed SI's (previous gen). Again, I'm not implying that all acura drivers are flawless shifters.

From the few RSX drivers on the track, I'm not impressed. It's either the driver or the machine.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by captain150
Well, what if you've already had an old muscle car that went fast in a straight line, and you wanted to try something harder, like making a 4 cyl japanese car go fast I dont think that's nuts, so if you dont mind, I will continue to take my car to the drag track, and wait for next years auto-x season.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by captain150
GSX weighs around 3200 lbs ...i believe its like 3250.

Last edited by blackevoVII; Sep 14, 2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
yea, 100lbs does make a diff. a major value in calculating torque is the WEIGHT! would 100lbs shave 1/2 second off the quarter? hell no! maybe a tenth or 2. but damn, i would kill to get an easy tenth or 2! as for the 4door thing, thast not where all (or even much) of the weight is added.

think of this: we are talking about going fast in a straight line. fun, but not its not gonna make my hair stand up. a road course /w lots of tight fun turns is a diff story. then we need more suspension, handleing etc. that doesnt come from nowhere! its gonna add weight.

the RA and the typeS are ment to do different things. if you wanted a drag car and you bought an RA, your nuts! if you wanted a car that drives execptionally well in all situations (except going really REALLY fast for miles and miles) and has lots of potential for the money, you made a good choice. dont expect much more than that /wout dishing out the green.
Torque has nothing to do with the weight of the car. Torque is a force. When I use a ratchet on a bolt, I am putting some amount of force on that ratchet. That force is called torque when it is moving in a circular motion. The handle multiplies this torque at the bolt (leverage/mechanical advantage).
Same with a gasoline engine. The cranks are like the ratchet, the rods are like my hand. The rods push down on the cranks, the cranks put some amount of torque on the crankshaft, the crankshaft is like the bolt. The crankshaft puts that torque through the transmission, to the wheels.
With a long stroke/small bore, you have long cranks (to move the piston up and down really far) thus when the rod is pushing down on the cranks after combustion, they are pushing on the end of a long crank (like using a LONG ratchet). The torque is multiplied more. With a Honda that has a very short stroke/large bore, the rods have very short cranks to push down on (like using a 4 inch ratchet to loosen wheel lug nuts)
So you have much less torque. HOWEVER, since everything in the engine (rods/pistons) only moves up and down a little bit, you can rev a short stroke engine really high.
Weight has nothing to do with torque. The only reason a lighter car is quicker than a car with the same power/torque is because it is easier/faster to move a 2500lb car than it is to move a 3000lb car. Can you move a 5lb bag or a 10lb bag faster?
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha, this is a funny thread.

A Golf TDI would beat both (to 32mph)
Old Sep 15, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Celica GT-S w/ manual = 2500lb, auto = 2580.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:15 AM

how bout an STi? jk
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:16 PM

Dont worry after the RRM Turbo Kit comes out, things will be different
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrisnick
thanks to you guys with the non-cocky posts. im looking forward to trading my RSX-S in for a ralliart, which is the reason why im on this board.

im sorry, but im not bragging. but pointing out an RSX is faster than an Ralliart. stock for stock, a RalliArt doesn't stand a chance against an RSX-S. what's the lowest 60' time in a RalliArt? im not justifying my purchase, if you read my other posts, i really do not like my car. it's the biggest POS i've ever owned.

for making power, an RSX-S can make incredible amounts N/A. look around www.clubrsx.com and you'll see people putting down 200WHP with just bolt ons. There's a few extreme N/A cars there pushing near 250whp...

also, a larger displacement engine IS going to make more power once you start going for maximum power. you could say that the RSX-S has 2.4L potential, but then you would have to do block surgery, and you couldn't rev as high. the RSX makes so much power because it has a 7900RPM redline(8200RPM cutofff). the 05's rev even higher due to some revisions to the engine.

don't lecture me on hp/tq. read one of my previous posts...
My Buddy had a RSX Type S.He bought it the day after they first came out.He loved it however he likes the RA just as Much.His RSX Type S Ran a 11.3 With Slips to prove it.At one point he was the Fastest RSX Type S on that Board.But he had a lot of $$ put into it.I am talking a Fully Built Motor w a Stand alone FMS and a bunch of other things.I Totally Agree that a RSX Type S is Faster.However they are a really nice car.I got to test drive one and would have gotten it if I really liked Hondas.I am not one who is Big on Hondas/Acuras.Just not my type.But I totally agree with what you were saying about those guys ClubRSX.Com.. Alot of them are pretty quick.And Stock for stock,A RSX Type S will beat us.The base However Wont9HAd my way with one of those)
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

I just test drove an RSX-S and it wasn't a bad little car suspension was alright it had some get up and go for sure faster than an RA but no where near an Evo the thing I really liked about that car is the maintanence... or lack of first tune up isn't till 110,000 miles 2nd tune up is at 220,000 miles etc etc I'm running a freakin fortune just on the upkeep of my car 30k tuneups at 600 bucks a piece and 60k tuneups at 1600 each its insane... but at the end of the day I still drive an Evo so there is something to be said about that
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

i drove a type s and i thought it was slow but alittle bit faster than the ralliart.