Notices

Why you can beat a RSX Type-S

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2004 | 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Why you can beat a RSX Type-S

(Notice to Honda Fanboys, please read completely before trolling)

Many people are going to look at the title of this thread and say WTF. That's what I want you to say. That gets you into my thread. Moving forward....

A quick look at the factory specifications.

2004 Acura RSX Type-S
200 HP (Crank) & 170 HP (Wheels)
142 ft/lbs (Crank) & 117 ft/lbs (Wheels)

Gear Ratios
1st - 3.267:1
2nd - 2.130:1
3rd - 1.517:1
4th - 1.147:1
5th - 0.921:1
6th - 0.738:1

Final Drive: 4.389:1

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
162 HP (Crank) & 140 (Wheels)
162 ft/lbs (Crank) & 141 (Wheels)

Gear Ratios
1st - 3.583:1
2nd - 1.947:1
3rd - 1.379:1
4th - 1.030:1
5th - 0.820:1

Final Drive: 4.058:1

To be fair, even though I've aquired the power to the wheels, I will use the crank. Torque is the real figure that must be focused on here. Anyone can look at the horsepower and say, hey that car is faster. I pose the question, faster how? Acceleration and top speed are two different matters.

Gears multiply torque. As do levers and pullies. Lets take two simular vehicles. The base RSX and the RSX Type-S. Both cars have approximately the same torque figures. Both cars perform very differently. In first gear, both cars have the exact same gear ratios. From a dig, both cars should take off the same. However, the base RSX finds itself in a rut (figuratively). The 6800 rpm redline only allows it to reach 32 mph. The Type-S on the other hand can enjoy 1st gear all the way to 38 mph. The Type-S is still finishing out first gear when the base has to take time to shift to a higher gear.

Horsepower is a calculation reliant upon torque, rpms, and a constant. You can not measure horsepower. It is a calculation. A dyno tests torque at all RPM's. The computer can then calculate the HP.

Torque*RPM
---------- = horsepower

All of this was to simply prove that there is more to racing than just HP.

Cutting to the chase. Gears multiply torque. The gear ratios for the Ralliart and RSX Type-S multiplied by their respective final drive ratios to yield 14.540:1 and 14.339:1. The Mitsu actually has a higher gear ratio in first gear. Next we multiply torque to get the actual output. The Ralliart and Type-S put down 2355 vs. 2036 ft/lbs of torque. The problem lies in the fact that this gear is short lived for the Ralliart. It only lasts till 29 mph. By 40 mph the Type-S has passed the Ralliart and is only making the margin greater. I know this experientially.

(This author understands that cars do not make peak torque through all RPM's. However both vehicles have extremely flat torque curves.)

So, from a dig and lasting till 32 mph, the Ralliart is faster than any stock RSX Type-S.
Old Sep 11, 2004 | 10:54 PM

i doubt it. an RSX-S in the I-VTEC range is a whole different monster... i own one. mine ran a 15 flat at 94mph. stock. a good driver could easily get a 60' in the low 2.2second range in the RSX-S. i just suck at launching. my best 60' was a 2.380.

Last edited by chrisnick; Sep 11, 2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2004 | 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

^haha....and the RA in the mivec range will match it...
Old Sep 11, 2004 | 10:57 PM

no... just... no.
Old Sep 11, 2004 | 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

what do you mean no, how do you know at all???????
Old Sep 11, 2004 | 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

hes just justifying his buy....
Old Sep 12, 2004 | 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with this post. Overall, the RSX-S is faster than any Ralliart (stock for stock, of course). This has been proven many many times. But right off the line, the RA's generous torque and short gears will be faster.
Old Sep 12, 2004 | 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

It's a JOKE people! (and IMO a good one) Sure, he seriously believes what he said...but all he said was that we could beat a RSX-S up to 32mph, which as he knows nobody cares about! Heck, I wouldn't be suprised if it's true myself.

We all know our cars are slower than RSX-S's, we still like/love our purchases regardless.
Old Sep 12, 2004 | 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

yeah the guy...couldnt even take it...lol
Old Sep 12, 2004 | 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

I was just trying to say a Ralliart should race for slips if the opponent is a stock Type-S.

(But only to 32 mph)
Old Sep 12, 2004 | 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

if it was the 1/8 the RA has a good chance....the 1/4 would be up to the driver....as the 200hp would eventually catch up
Old Sep 12, 2004 | 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisnick
i doubt it. an RSX-S in the I-VTEC range is a whole different monster... i own one. mine ran a 15 flat at 94mph. stock. a good driver could easily get a 60' in the low 2.2second range in the RSX-S. i just suck at launching. my best 60' was a 2.380.
Riggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhttttttttt, notice he said up until 32mph AND he was talking about torque, not horsepower after the i-VTEC. Torque gives you a hard/fast launch, horsepower hauls your *** at speed. Horsepower does nothing until you are at higher rpms. The RSX's (base) low torque is embaressingly obvious with the auto. From a stop, you HIT it and it seems like nothing happened for about 2 seconds until the horsepower starts pulling you. Least with my auto ralliart, it has some torque to brag about.
Old Sep 12, 2004 | 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

This thread is just about what all Honda and Mitsu owners are all about. We all know the Honda line-up of cars is a near torque-less car...BUT!!!!! The car does pull hard. Sure the RA could beat a RSX-S to 32 MPH...SO WHAT! I agree in part with RSX guys...Hell the RA will out pull the Prelude with the H22 off the line...BUT both those cars will catch and pass this car stock vs. stock in both the 1/8 and 1/4. Both of these are good races though. RSX-S guys SHOULDNT come in here bragging about there 15 flat though...nothing to brag about yet. The RA will do that as well with a good driver so thats not an argument. THE REAL DEBATE...or better yet...THE REAL SHOW is watching what the RA does to the ENTIRE LINEUP of Honda's, much less the RSX-S if you match HP. I GAURANTEE that I can put a **** OF A LOT MORE POWER out of my motor with what guys are spending on the RSX-S compared to what I spent on my RA. I spent $17K on my car...whats a RSX-S...$22K if you got a GREAT deal. I promise that isnt a contest. That is why we all love the purchase of the RA so much...BANG FOR THE BUCK. DAMN I NEED A ROAD TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 12, 2004 | 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Like I was saying earlier, 10.5:1 JE Pistons, Forged Titanium Connecting Rod, Stand Alone Engine Management, Full Exhaust, Intake, and Cams will easily put 220 to the crank. And there is alot more that can be done.
Old Sep 12, 2004 | 08:25 AM

thanks to you guys with the non-cocky posts. im looking forward to trading my RSX-S in for a ralliart, which is the reason why im on this board.

im sorry, but im not bragging. but pointing out an RSX is faster than an Ralliart. stock for stock, a RalliArt doesn't stand a chance against an RSX-S. what's the lowest 60' time in a RalliArt? im not justifying my purchase, if you read my other posts, i really do not like my car. it's the biggest POS i've ever owned.

for making power, an RSX-S can make incredible amounts N/A. look around www.clubrsx.com and you'll see people putting down 200WHP with just bolt ons. There's a few extreme N/A cars there pushing near 250whp...

also, a larger displacement engine IS going to make more power once you start going for maximum power. you could say that the RSX-S has 2.4L potential, but then you would have to do block surgery, and you couldn't rev as high. the RSX makes so much power because it has a 7900RPM redline(8200RPM cutofff). the 05's rev even higher due to some revisions to the engine.

don't lecture me on hp/tq. read one of my previous posts...

Last edited by chrisnick; Sep 12, 2004 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Why you can beat a RSX Type-S