Notices

tail light tinting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tail light tinting

I think I have seen a couple people tint their taillights with different designs, I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to open the rear tail light of and 06 RA.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Its possible but its difficult. I tried and cracked up a set of stock tails. There are a few how tos in the evo section. Its basically the same process. Id link you but I'm on my phone.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know theres a guy on here that tinted his tails black...but the ended up not liking them and bought some depo lights after a while...

don't kno what the end result you're looking for is...
but most likely it's easier to just get depo lights or ES lights...(and possibly cheaper if you manage an even trade with somebody)

or you could just tint the lens(not too dark)...i know some other guy tinted his with yellow film...(i never got around to seeing the pics tho...blocked at work)...so i can't say if they looked good or not

personally i don't like the look of the blacked out lights...
smoked maybe...but not black...
but then again it's your car, do whatever you like

Last edited by nekkidlad; Jan 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

i googled it for kicks and grins and came up with theese..
they're all evo's but it can't be that much different...they're just longer than the RA

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ut-dremel.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...il-lights.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-housing.html
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
i know theres a guy on here that tinted his tails black...but the ended up not liking them and bought some depo lights after a while...
Dunno who would have done such a thing...

don't kno what the end result you're looking for is...
but most likely it's easier to just get depo lights or ES lights...(and possibly cheaper if you manage an even trade with somebody)

or you could just tint the lens(not too dark)...i know some other guy tinted his with yellow film...(i never got around to seeing the pics tho...blocked at work)...so i can't say if they looked good or not

personally i don't like the look of the blacked out lights...
smoked maybe...but not black...
but then again it's your car, do whatever you like
The ES lights look really good Raikiri has been rocking those for a while.

I used lens tint from autozone on my stock tail lights. Turned out really dark. Looked cool but was almost too dark for day time driving. At night it was cool looking until I hit the brake then you could see how clouding looking the spray tint was. IF I ever tint tail lights black again I will use window tint on the lens and leave a spot cut out for the reverse lights. I had none. lol

Yellow tint sounds pretty cool too. Ive seen red used before as well to make a cheap set of ES looking tail lights.

i googled it for kicks and grins and came up with theese..
they're all evo's but it can't be that much different...they're just longer than the RA

http://<b>https://www.evolutionm.net...remel.html</b>
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...il-lights.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-housing.html
The link I put in bold is the one that I followed when I attempted to open a set of stock lights that I bought off of Raikiri. It works but you have to get the tail light VERY hot, have a strong but narrow razor, and move VERY slowly.

I got one off and got a bit excited and cracked the other. If I ever have the spare cash I might try to find another stock tail and continue the job but Im pretty happy with my tails now. I bought the depo lights and used yellow model tint spray to make the turn signals yellow. Looks somewhat similar to the JDM Evo VII tail lights.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
IMO tinting/darkening tail lights is dumb. Those lights are not really for you but the persons behind them.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here are my tails with just a red vinyl overlay.

Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Current Tails

Old Tails
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

You don't have to convince me - just the judge if you don't get compensated for you getting rear-ended.
IMO if ANYTHING is done to reduce ANY effective output of the light is not smart.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
IMO tinting/darkening tail lights is dumb. Those lights are not really for you but the persons behind them.
You don't have to convince me - just the judge if you don't get compensated for you getting rear-ended.
IMO if ANYTHING is done to reduce ANY effective output of the light is not smart.
i understand what you mean...if it reduces the visibility/light output,yes it's a liability...
some people care...others don't...you may get pulled over and probably a ticket when you do...

what i personally am talking about is tinting the lens...
what some other people do is open the lights and paint/tint the actual housing(which has nothing to do with light output or visibility)

as far as tinting with film or paint this is what i mean...

see how the one is bright red, and the others are just a bit darker and have no restriction of visibility or light output?....that's what i like to see, smoked..(and would like to do to my car and would've loved to do on my RA when i had it...)
just a subtle darkness to it, but not blacked out in any way

blacked out...just stupid looking...imho

or this would work too...(don't know how well on the RA/evo/es tho since the light is recessed so far in the lens tho)
only covered up the part that DOESN'T light up and has no effect on visibility or light output...(granted this one seems to be darkly tinted as well, but for example purposes assume it's not)

or painting the housing inside the clear part of the lens...again...not restricting light output or visibility...and has nothing to do with the light itself aside from styling...
(couldn't find any tails painted...so for explanation purposes just used a headlight...)

(i know theese aren't mitsu's but they're just an example..)

ps...bakuro....
yeap...no idea who...lol

Last edited by nekkidlad; Jan 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Good! Then we on the same page.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yea completely blacking out the tail lights is dumb. I did it once cause it use to "look cool" but since grew up a bit. I still like dark housings which is why I bought Depos, but i no longer worry if the person behind me can see that I am pressing my brakes. lol

I like those smoked red housings nekkid. Makes me wish I hadn't busted the second tail light that I bought off Raikiri... :/
Old Jan 23, 2014, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Good! Then we on the same page.

Originally Posted by bakuro117
I like those smoked red housings nekkid.
yes they look good, i like them too...unfortunately they're not mine...(i just gathered some pics from google images for visuals...)...wish i had time/$ to tint mine tho...
i wanna do the light tint like that on my jetta's tails tho
http://www.darkside-developments.co....etta%20(5).JPG
like this....but not that dark tho(and i don't have the LED tails like this guy)

i also wanna get a set of blacked out headlight housings...(again...not compromising the intensity or visibility...just changing the look a bit...)
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/t...Jordan/MKV.jpg
like theese

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...DjnOC6RPUw.jpg
or maybe some projectors for HIDs..?

but with lack of funds i'll probably only light tint on the headlights...
(probably neither tho...beacuse of lack of time and funds...)
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/149124_x800.jpg
not this dark tho...:S

i like they're just a subtle change...you really can't tell they're tinted unless you're next to another one without tinted lights and can see the difference...

EDIT:...funny we're talking about this...
my buddy has a firebird he plastidipped matte black...and also blacked out the tails with nightshades...

he just called me abit ago and(among other things) said he was rear ended the other night because the person behind him didin't see the car or brake lights when he was stopped at the entrance to his subdivision...lol

but in his defense...he has an electrical problem(bad grounds in the socket...and he's been too lazy to fix it...) so his lights were very dim before he blacked them out to begin with...
he probably would've been rear ended someday anyway because of that...
just thought thought i'd mention it because it's too perfect...we're talking about this and he calls me about it

Last edited by nekkidlad; Jan 23, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Wink

EDIT:...funny we're talking about this...
my buddy has a firebird he plastidipped matte black...and also blacked out the tails with nightshades...
I almost hit a few of them around here. Luckily I never did. Now I stay like 10 cars back when I see those damn shaded rear lights.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tinted my taillights with vinyl tint applied to the exterior of the vehicle. The smoked look matches the color of my thunder grey Ralliart perfectly. The vinyl also has a gloss finish, which to me is more desireable than any finish the VHT Nite Shade can give you. I'll post pics as soon as I get the chance.

During the day, not the best picture but it is the only one I have saved on my phone at the moment. I'll post pictures of the light output at night.

Last edited by NuzzoKnows; Mar 4, 2014 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: tail light tinting